Quit buying charcoal! Make your own. You'll thank me when the SHTF

This is a discussion on Quit buying charcoal! Make your own. You'll thank me when the SHTF within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, maybe the title is a bit of a stretch. But hey, cooking with wood is great, but charcoal seems to help the fire stay ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By niks
  • 3 Post By archer51
  • 3 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By lionround

Thread: Quit buying charcoal! Make your own. You'll thank me when the SHTF

Ok, maybe the title is a bit of a stretch. But hey, cooking with wood is great, but charcoal seems to help the fire stay nice and evenly lit. Just because you bugged out and live in the woods with your dog and your tent doesn't mean you should settle for a fire that doesn't burn evenly... here goes:

Step 1) Use a tin can with a lid. The one that I used is the same type that you get over the holidays full of fudge, cookies and all that. Just find random dead stuff. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it was once living... hell, you can put living stuff in it too as long as it will fit i.e. lizard, rat, frog, kitten.
    Step 2) Make sure the lid is properly closed. Use whatever heat source that you have available to "cook" the dead/living stuff. Using charcoal as a heat source is probably a violation of the Laws of Mass and Energy Conservation. But hey, whatever floats your boat!
    Step 3) Crack open a can of PBR and watch it cook. After it gets hot enough, the lid will pop loose. Leave the lid as it is and observe the smoke/flame that should be working its way out of the container. Once you are confident that there is no more smoke/flame coming from the inside of the container your coal is done.
    Step 4) Put the can of coal in a cool place and try to prevent allowing oxygen to enter. At this time the coal will be so hot that it ignite as soon as oxygen hits it.

Whatever it was that you put in the can should have retained its original shape. The heating procedure simply removed all the non-carbon elements. The carbon sticks around until you decide to grill with it!

You can make a huge batch and refill your charcoal bags when they run dry. If you live out in the country like I do, you should be able to find an abundant supply of wood that you don't mind burning.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    An empty clean paint can (be sure there is NO paint residue) works quite well also. Just punch a small hole in the top with a nail, fill the can, tap the lid down and place it on the fire. Once it gets hot enough there will be a wisp of smoke coming from the nail hole, when the smokes quits the charcoal is done. Allow it to cool and it is ready to use.
    likesbigbullets likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

People looked at me like they thought I was crazy when I told them that I can make charcoal! Good to meet you MSGT!

Great tip. Going to buy some charcoal now so I can go cook some charcoal.

Just kidding. That's pretty cool.

VIP Member
    At last, a use for all those fruit cakes that have accumulated over the years!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Country boys will survive....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

And guys, remember you spray a light mist of moonshine over the coals to make it "match lite" coal!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by likesbigbullets View Post
    People looked at me like they thought I was crazy when I told them that I can make charcoal! Good to meet you MSGT!
    Obviously someone can make charcoal or else there wouldn't be any. Now we know who it is.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I happen to like fruitcake. (Yeah, I'm that guy with an out-of-tune drum on a different beat.) Try a slice with a cup of hot coffee.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I happen to like fruitcake. (Yeah, I'm that guy with an out-of-tune drum on a different beat.) Try a slice with a cup of hot coffee.
    I did that once. The trip to the dentist wasn't much fun.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Was a fruitcake ever alive?

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Was a fruitcake ever alive?
    If you put it in the can and heat it up, you'll find out how much of it was alive! Damn, now I'm getting ideas. I've got way too much time on my hands.

Distinguished Member
    This same method, when used on a piece of cotton, makes char cloth, which takes a spark extremely well and is a phenomenal fire-starter.

A very good thing to know in a survival situation.

Char Cloth

Sponsored Links