See: I told you so government ammunition 'stockpiling'

This is a discussion on See: I told you so government ammunition 'stockpiling' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I referred to this in an earlier post and was soundly squashed by several here. but here is a national story on the same subject. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: See: I told you so government ammunition 'stockpiling'

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

See: I told you so government ammunition 'stockpiling'

I referred to this in an earlier post and was soundly squashed by several here. but here is a national story on the same subject.

Okla. lawmakers' Ammo Act targets government ammunition 'stockpiling'

My earlier post:

Federal Amuniution Co. (Interesting rumor, or is it?)
    onacoma likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Right you are.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Charles Cook has a breakdown of the numbers here: The Great Ammunition Myth | National Review Online and the numbers do not align with the nefarious intent.

With all due respect, the first article does not provide any "proof" of any theory, and the second article is a quote "from a guy who knows a guy that said..."

Either theory presents an unworkable scenario - A violent suppression of the people would fail, and buying up all the ammo to keep ammo out of the hands of people will also fail.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    .22LR is a military round? .45 ACP HP is a military round?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ya so when the poo hits the fan they will have more than us. Just sayin.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Hey Mods can we put a Gold Star by Mav name?

Obviously he is not married, otherwise he would understand: "If a Man speaks on a deserted island and no woman is there to hear him, is he still WRONG?"

As JeanL stated, "YES!" Which "She Who Must Be Obeyed" concurred!
    Maverickx50 likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Guess maybe they really are preparing for the dollar to crash and rioting.................Hmmmm.......better start prepping now.

Thanks to the TV shows like American Preppers and the other tin foil hat shows, this is the only reason ammo is scarce. Throw in Obama, Pelosi, Feinstein, and the rest of the gang and you now have the "icing on the cake scenario". Went to a gun show last weekend and 99% of the people buying the OVER PRICED ammo were kids. I think the adults (or at least it appears) have regianed their sanity. As for the preppers all I have to say is enjoy stashing your Ramen Noodles all around the house and protecting your noodles with your .22 rimfire cartridges. As far as the DHS "Ok whatever". They have long term contracts and that is what they have in the contract to purchase over a long period. I work for a company that execute these same types of contracts and just let me say this. If I disclosed some of these long term contracts it would make a run (at least locally) on stuff you would never even imagine. But here is one if the tin foil hat club wants to stock up. Orange Juice......yep we have a long term contract that would empty the shelves locally if I disclosed those contract terms.

I don't care for orange juice................

VIP Member
    I'm going to stubbornly cling to my optimism that "they" are "us" and "they" aren't arming up to use it against "us".

Our government and military have contingent plans for many scenarios. I doubt any of them will ever happen (like Canada invading us ) but we have to be prepared for as many events as possible. That's what I think is the reason for the government stockpiling ammunition.

I'm not naive enough to believe every administration has our best interest at heart, but in the scheme of things...that's a temporary situation.

But, a government take over?...as PEF said, it ain't gonna happen.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

1+1=11 or not.

Lots of ammo in Canada, but they are buying it in a normal way. Use a box, buy a box. Not stack a box in the closet, buy all you can find to add to the stack. Of course, they have already lived through restriction and confiscation and are now looking at a government that admits gun control did nothing but piss off the population and outplaced a bunch of politicians.

I referred to this in an earlier post and was soundly squashed by several here. but here is a national story on the same subject.
    Your argument appears to be based on an unsubstantiated rumor, backed by questions raised by politicians. You are assuming that premise A (govt is buying all the ammo)is valid, that premise B (politicians are reliable indicators of truth) is valid, and premise C (if it's in the news, it must be true) is also valid.

There are three types of potential problems with premises. The first, and most obvious, is that a premise can be wrong. If one argues, for example, that evolutionary theory is false because there are no transitional fossils, that argument is unsound because the premise no transitional fossils is false. In fact there are copious transitional fossils.
    Another type of premise error occurs when one or more premises is an unwarranted assumption. The premise may or may not be true, but it has not been established sufficiently to serve as a premise for an argument. Identifying all the assumptions upon which an argument is dependent is often the most critical step in analyzing an argument. Frequently, different conclusions are arrived at because of differing assumptions.
    Often people will choose the assumptions that best fit the conclusion they prefer. In fact, psychological experiments show that most people start with conclusions they desire, then reverse engineer arguments to support them a process called rationalization.
    Top 20 Logical Fallacies - The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." -- Spock, Space Seed, Stardate 3141.9, Episode 24
    A) Domestic everyday consumption has gone up. Target shooting has become more popular, and the use of semiautos and high capacity mags has led to more rounds fired per trip. The most popular rifle is using the same ammo as our military, and they use ammo up at an amazing rate.

B) The average purchase of ammo is now "all of it, or as much as I can get". Stores get ammo in, but it sells out before I get there. I have a shortage, the country does not. Of course, I have enough shotgun ammo to last a few years.

C) More people are carrying for self defense, and a hundred rounds/month us not excessive for practice. A professional as in a LEO should be using more as he or she is much more likely to actually use a weapon for self defense.
    D) We export lots of ammo.

Demand for ammo is up, supplies are down a bit, hoarding has become problem. But not by the govt.
    The Great DHS Ammunition Stockpile Myth
    The total for government purchase orders on a per year delivery basis calculates out to less than 160 million rounds purchased this year. For perspective, the National Shooting Sports Foundation and NRA estimate a minimum of 10 billion rounds of ammunition is produced domestically annually. This translates to the Department of Homeland Security affecting 1.6% of the market share of ammunition domestically produced.
    The number of rounds used by the the military was apparently found by dividing shot fired by the total number in the military. Only a small number of the military are involved in combat.

Lots of rumors, lots of fear leading to more rumors.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    Frank Herbert, Dune

When this story was posted on Fox this week, it was stated that the DHS agents get 1300-1600 rounds per year, versus the Army getting 350 rounds per soldier per year. If that's stockpiling, then I'm guilty as well.

While that isn't nearly enough training ammo for the Army, neither is 1300-1600 rounds per year for training an LE, IMO. I've taken training classes that required half that for one weekend.

That's less than 150 rounds a month. How many of you think that is sufficient for you to maintain proficiency?

I love a good screwdriver and for that you need OJ.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

What? Our govt has alterior motives??? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!!!

We all knew this all along.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Ya so when the poo hits the fan they will have more than us. Just sayin.
    We will be the American Indians and they will be the horse soldiers. It's been said here LEO and military are 800,000 strong. We are 10 times that number.

In a fight where we have limited resources against an enemy with solid resupply and unlimited resources we'll have to fight smarter. We can. We shall.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links