Cop Shows on tv, continuity director ?

This is a discussion on Cop Shows on tv, continuity director ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Was watching a cop show set in modern L.A. Most of the weapons handling is somewhat believable. They went a little too far on this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cop Shows on tv, continuity director ?

Was watching a cop show set in modern L.A. Most of the weapons handling is somewhat believable. They went a little too far on this one. BG has cops gun, he's on the run. Helicopters tracking him. Weapon is a full size 40 or 9. This guy pops off a round from easy 50 yards & punctures the fuel tank. Even on the luckiest of shot I don't thinks its possible.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Hitting somthing the size of a fuel tank at 50 yard is not tough at all if you train for it. Was it the fuel tank on the helicopter?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I hate it even more when I see LEO chamber a round on TV (or anyone on TV for that matter). I know it looks cool, but come on, just silly.
    andrewcdub likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    I hate it even more when I see LEO chamber a round on TV (or anyone on TV for that matter). I know it looks cool, but come on, just silly.
    I have a cousin that works on TV shows as something or other. He has been on the stage of the Unit and NCIS and some others. I think he is a grip. Anyhoo, he said they know that doing certain things are wrong. They do go have advisors and they try to make shows more realistic, but I asked him about racking the slides (especially on shotguns) and he said they do it for effect. They know it is stupid.

So it is not ignorance, just showmanship.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

VIP Member
    So the guy is shooting at the cockpit of the helicopter and misses badly and hits the fuel tank instead? What's so unbelievable about that?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    ...and they "rack one in" every time they grab their gun. They would be leaving a trail of ammo everywhere they go...like a kid dropping bread crumbs in the woods.
    And how about when they have a Glock (pretty popular on tv and in the movies) and the cock the "hammer" when they put it to someone's face/head!? Really? Does anyone in Hollywood (other than the gang bangers) ever really handle or use real guns?
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Pretty bad

I agree with the OP that gun handling in cop shows on TV is often ridiculous. I only watched TV a short time yesterday, but saw two instances that were absurd:

1. A swat team was arresting some dangerous criminal, who was on his knees and disarmed with his hands on his head. The swat team, holding automatic weapons, had completely surrounded the criminal in a sort of "circular firing squad" formation, pointing their guns to the center at the criminal. If one of them actually fired, he would hit his fellow cop on the other side of the criminal.

2. At the conclusion of a running gun fight with handguns between a cop and a criminal, the cop somehow managed to come up behind the criminal and point his gun at the criminal's head, telling the criminal to drop his gun and give up. The criminal hesitated, as if to consider whether he could turn around quickly and shoot the cop. There was a loud "clicking" sound from the cop's gun, a Glock, as if the cop had manually cocked a hammer or something. Of course Glocks don't have hammers, and you know the Glock already had a chambered round because the cop had just been firing it. At that point the criminal dropped his gun and gave up, presumably intimidated by the clicking of the Glock. This sort of thing happens all the time in movies and TV. It seems to be an accepted convention that a clicking from the handgun in your hand means "I'm really serious here, and you'd better surrender".
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't see why folks think it is ridiculus for cop shows to do stupid things when they do it on purpose for showmanship when it is by far more ridiculus when you see real LE in videos doing stupid things all the time
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I agree with the OP that gun handling in cop shows on TV is often ridiculous. I only watched TV a short time yesterday, but saw two instances that were absurd:

1. A swat team was arresting some dangerous criminal, who was on his knees and disarmed with his hands on his head. The swat team, holding automatic weapons, had completely surrounded the criminal in a sort of "circular firing squad" formation, pointing their guns to the center at the criminal. If one of them actually fired, he would hit his fellow cop on the other side of the criminal.

2. At the conclusion of a running gun fight with handguns between a cop and a criminal, the cop somehow managed to come up behind the criminal and point his gun at the criminal's head, telling the criminal to drop his gun and give up. The criminal hesitated, as if to consider whether he could turn around quickly and shoot the cop. There was a loud "clicking" sound from the cop's gun, a Glock, as if the cop had manually cocked a hammer or something. Of course Glocks don't have hammers, and you know the Glock already had a chambered round because the cop had just been firing it. At that point the criminal dropped his gun and gave up, presumably intimidated by the clicking of the Glock. This sort of thing happens all the time in movies and TV. It seems to be an accepted convention that a clicking from the handgun in your hand means "I'm really serious here, and you'd better surrender".
    Yeah, and how many times do you see someone with a gun (good guy or bad guy) ordering somebody else around, and about the time they have the situation under their control, the cock the gun or rack the slide? For the 2-3 minutes before, everyone's got a gun that is not ready to fire.
    Oh the sensationalism of it all...
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If it had been "made for TV" the chopper would have exploded in a huge fireball.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

They do what it takes to sell it's showing. Alot of us notice these things but my guess is that most don't. Most movies would boring if not dramatized.

Archer would a pistol round of a medium caliber penetrate both the skin & the fuel tank wall at 50 yards ? I know there are some helo mechanics who could enlighten me.

One of the main characters was onboard the chopper. It couldn't explode, yet. Maybe next season.

I miss WALKER, TEXAS RANGER.
    diver1102 and NONAME762 like this.

I have 2 "pet peeves" about guns in TV & movies:

1. You hear a hammer being cocked on a Glock.
    2. They fire a 1911 without cocking the hammer or racking the slide.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links