As We Seniors Age How Do We Combat The Physical Pains of CC or OC?

This is a discussion on As We Seniors Age How Do We Combat The Physical Pains of CC or OC? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think the Title says it all. I'm fairly new to Arthritis having my first onset of pain in the Spring of 2007 I believe ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Easy8
  • 1 Post By latentcarry
  • 1 Post By sensei2
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Oldpsufan

Thread: As We Seniors Age How Do We Combat The Physical Pains of CC or OC?

Question As We Seniors Age How Do We Combat The Physical Pains of CC or OC?

I think the Title says it all. I'm fairly new to Arthritis having my first onset of pain in the Spring of 2007 I believe it was. Early on I took aspirin and ibuprophen. Since this is mainly an age specific thread I'd prefer the younger crowd ( say 40s +/-) not get too involved unless you've got something that would hep us older fogeys. (Mods- I'm trying to make this as PC as I can. If you can express my thoughts better feel free.)

Nothing medicine wise is out of bounds here. Naturopathic or FDA approved, Yoga, Old Wives Tales, potions from herbal remedies from Yesteryear or Organics and Hippie stuff. I'm gonna say this next bit as gently as I can. I'm about 85% Conservative Redneck and 15% Hippie. I don't wanna use the L word. Many of us come from the Baby Boomers Generation. I'm one. When it's my time I'll go out with CW and RnR and want my ashes put in my Powder Horn. BTW the ladies here are welcome in this thread as aging is non specific to gender.

OK I hope this will stand the scrutiny of the owner of this site and the Mods here. Thanks for your support.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

2. Remove Ads

We will handle age the way we handled our lives. We show up, everyday dont complain ( much) just do the job, we raised our kids as best we could helped our neighbors when we could. We carry because we feel its still our responsibilty to protect ourselves and the people we love. We re starting to sound like our fathers, we dont like the music and are kids dont live like we want them to. We see young people making the mistakes we did and no matter what we say they go on making them. The freakin circle of life. Think I will just sit back and try to relax. Have a good night.

Be careful of the aspirin, and to a bit lesser extent ibuprofen due to the issues some people have with lessened ability of the blood to clot. I took Celebrex for a long time and it was great but it has its own issues with long term usage.

Some pain is just a fact of life as we get older and I feel that moderate use of the affected joints is better than no exercise as long as we use common sense. If it hurts a little just be careful, if it hurts a lot stop. I just feel better if I keep moving.

Thymus extract helps a lot; along with Tylenol used sparingly because of liver issues. I get by most of the time but when things get really bad: I keep some Ultram to take as needed. My doc is pretty good about letting me have what I ask for because we have a long term relationship and he knows that abuse is not an issue.
    NONAME762 likes this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Thanx you two. Excellent answers/observations both. Shortly after I started with the aspirin/ibuprofen I knew deep down I was kicking a dead mule. Just another part of life I gotta deal with. Ain't new to that.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

i'm 68. had a stroke about seven years ago that paralyzed my left side for a while. i still have some issues with that.

post stroke, i find myself carrying my S&W 642/Kahr CM-9 in a pocket holster more often than an OWB rig with a Sig semi or an S&W revolver. this is both for reduced weight, and the fact that i'm using public transportation more often. traveling by bus, i have to be prepared for the worst weather condition i'm likely to encounter while i'm out, so i frequently find myself needing to remove my outer garment if i go inside somewhere. a pocket gun makes this process less of a hassle. i always have a spare magazine/speedloader, and often a plastic MTM ammo wallet with another 18 rounds stashed in various pockets.

i still carry a service-size gun OWB when i can. if i feel the need or impulse for a bigger gun, but know i'll probably have to doff my cover garment, i may carry off-body using a Blackhawk Messenger Bag or a Camelbak Demon backpack, both of which have dedicated gun pockets. the Blackhawk allows fairly quick access. the Camelbak does not.

i'm taking three blood pressure medicines that have no obvious side effects. no signs of arthritis so far. i need/use ibuprofen only rarely.

another adjustment is to avoid being out after darkness falls (not always possible, of course). easy to do in the summer here in Washington State. not so much in the winter, when it gets dark as early as 4:30PM.

lastly, i try to remain in Condition Yellow, and stay aware of what's going on around me.

i realize that i've talked about habit and equipment adjustments rather than physical ameliorations, but so far i haven't needed to deal with chronic pain. i often silently thank my parents for the good genes they apparently passed on to me.
    NONAME762 likes this.

There is a rub that after using mineral ice, ben gay you name it I finally found that works very well. Its called Biofreeze.
    I wont say its a cureall but it makes things a lot more livable.
    NONAME762 and bootslxa like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Pick up some Arnica gel and give it a try. My wife was using it on the horses before she put me on to it. If she uses it on them, I knew it'd be good stuff. That's all they get is the good stuff. That said, it's made for human use. It definitely helps, it's pretty much all natural but for some stabilizers. Not sticky, not smelly. It just always seems to be about 10 degrees colder than everything else when you apply it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Pick up some Arnica gel and give it a try. My wife was using it on the horses before she put me on to it. If she uses it on them, I knew it'd be good stuff. That's all they get is the good stuff. That said, it's made for human use. It definitely helps, it's pretty much all natural but for some stabilizers. Not sticky, not smelly. It just always seems to be about 10 degrees colder than everything else when you apply it.
    So tell me Savage does your wife get this Arnica Gel at like Farmer Co-ops? If it's cold putting it on IDC cuz I got hot cocoa for when I'm cold. Thankyou kindly Savage I mean to check that out this week. Here 'bouts there's a Co-op every couple miles.

VIP Member
    I had a bout of arthritis in my hands a few years ago. I started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin and in a few months it went away. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not because there's a lot of controversy over G&C. All I know is that my hands stopped hurting. I don't take G&C now but I will if I have another problem with arthritis.

I try not to take any medicine at all. Sometimes a person has to and there's no getting away from it, but here's my thoughts on health for the over 50 crowd.

Many problems can be either solved or drastically reduced if you take good care of yourself.

Lose weight if you're overweight. Being overweight contributes to diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attacks, arthritis and lots of other things.

Go to the gym or exercise at home...but DO IT! Especially aerobic exercises and resistance exercises.

Watch what you eat and drink. Obviously alcohol should be limited to a small amount a day. Soda has no redeeming value and should be either cut out completely or limited. No, I don't think it should be illegal to drink, just not a good idea. I drink a Diet Coke once in awhile but I used to drink LOTS of it, now I don't. Drink water...at least 2 quarts a day. Fill up a pitcher in the morning and have it gone by evening.

No smoking.

If you have bloating, skin problems like itching etc, or arthritis you may have developed a wheat allergy. Try a Gluten free diet for a month or two and see if that helps.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    There is a rub that after using mineral ice, ben gay you name it I finally found that works very well. Its called Biofreeze.
    I wont say its a cureall but it makes things a lot more livable.
    I did a 6 month internship while I was still in school at an outpatient physical therapy clinic in a nearby hospital. We went through so much of this stuff. After some good heat therapy/ice (whichever is required) the patient would get a good dousing in some Biofreeze. It's good stuff.

I must say I really miss working in outpatient PT. Most of the people I encountered were seniors although some were my age or younger (usually athletes). I kind of felt like each visit was a trade. I could offer my services and help them feel better or get stronger, regain flexibility or mobility while they would offer me advice on various topics or tell me really interesting stories. I think I usually got the better end of the deal.

Careful what you post if you are from NY or Ca, they may come and take your guns for being on too much medication, they have already done some of it as a test I think, And there are Anti spies on every gun Blog, just taking notes. Dont forget that when you state how many guns you own where you keep them ect, someone may be taking notes, Damn shame its come to this....

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Jean, good advice and meds can help when you have heart diease as I do which was passed down thru my family. All the rest has been caused by the trials of life and part by the jobs one takes on and now at over 70 I still do martial arts work outs for cardio then into weights and finish with bands. The only thing that I recommend that people stay away from is the diet drinks which can create a rocky road

I had never taken any medicine my entire life other than an occasional aspirin up until I got arthritis, and it is not the "old age joint kind" it is rheumatoid, and that is caused by an overactive immune system where your system attacks your joints. I have to take two different kinds of meds to keep the inflammation in check so that I can do things that others would consider normal. The sad part is that I was always in good shape, and worked out 5 days a week right up until I got this at age 70. You just have to do what is necessary to cope and play the cards you're dealt.
    sensei2 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I was always in pretty good shape until 1990. I was an over the road truck driver and my co-driver wrecked me. Well, not just me but my truck too. I broke my neck and had a double anterior fusion. Back then they would take a bone out of your hip to fuse with (they don't do that any more, they use cadaver bones). They nicked a nerve in my hip taking the graft bone and now I limp all the time. It's not arthritis, but it hurts. My back was messed up in the wreck and the neurosurgeon wanted to operate on it too, but after the neck fiasco, I passed and have just put up with pain and pinched nerves in my back.

I am only 57 yo but there are days I feel a lot older. Especially when the weather is about to turn bad.

All that said, I am thankful every day that I am not in a wheel chair because my neurosurgeon said the neck compression I had pre-surgery was the worst he had seen without paralysis in his 20 years as a doctor. I need to exercise more and lose some weight, but it's tough. I will do better, I promise. I did quit smoking after 35 years of heavy, chain smoking about 2 years ago. One step at a time and yes, I want a cigarette after every meal, but I won't.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Links