Famous People We Have Met and the stories therein :blink:

Famous People We Have Met and the stories therein :blink:

This is a discussion on Famous People We Have Met and the stories therein :blink: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The topic title pretty well sums it up. If you have a story to go along with your famous person have at it. Regardless of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Famous People We Have Met and the stories therein :blink:

Thumbs up Famous People We Have Met and the stories therein :blink:

The topic title pretty well sums it up. If you have a story to go along with your famous person have at it. Regardless of what these famous folks do or did lets hear all of it. Even people I wouldn't want to be in the same state with are oki doki Panoki.

I'll go first.

On 3 different occasions in nominally the same arena I've met and spoke briefly with Jack McLamb and also Colonel Bo Gritz. But the most memorable person I ever met and had a heart to heart with him was Randy Weaver.
    PEF likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Back in '89 our indoor rodeo arena was host to a horse show and auction. Our college (SLU) rodeo team was volun-told to work it...security, clean-up, moving the livestock around, tickets and consession sales, etc..... I got the call to dim the arena lights so a 'VIP' could sneak in with out being reconized. So I went back to master switches and waited for the go-ahead and there was Paul Newman donning a hat and sunglasses. He didn't say anything except 'thank you' and sat down as soon as I cut the lights. Later that same afternoon myself and a couple other team members were watching the horses from the stage with a cooler full of beer (well, we were 'rodeo cowboys' and this was college...) when someone kinda snuck up behind us and asked if he could have a beer and sit with us for a spell. We didn't care at all and invited him to sit on the edge of the stage. Since I was leaning on the igloo I reached in, turned around and handed a Bud Light longneck to Patrick Swazye. He didn't wanna mill around in the crowd and a couple of his horses were coming up next. We all were polite enough not to be 'star-struck' and he sat and shot-the-breeze for a good 30 minuets or so. He was polite, very thankful for the beer and funny and engageing in conversation as well. Definatly more at-ease than Mr. Newman was.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

WOW GSB that is/was uber cool and a half. You shooting the breeze with Patrick Swayze and just being regular folks at a Rodeo...I'm awestruck. He was another of my favorite actors/people as a kid growing up. A Most Excellent First Reply to my thread here. Thankyou Sir.
    goldshellback and PEF like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Many, many moons ago I was driving a local delivery route that included Branson, MO. I made deliveries to several of the theaters including Ray Stevens. During one delivery Ray came out to sign for his VHS and cassette tapes that I had on the truck. We spoke for a few minutes and he was all business. He was very funny on stage but in person there was no humor. He did take a quick break when one young lady that worked in his theater came up and asked for a picture with him, he smiled at her and posed with her.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Cliff Robertson came up to me at the big Oshkosh airshow and asked directions to one of the forum tents where he was going to be giving a talk. He was a pilot as well as an actor...came across as a regular Joe. I've also had a good talk on test flying an airplane with Hoot Gibson, the astronaut.

Ace
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    I have run into three famous people over the years. Only one meeting reflected favorably on them.

When I was a little kid, probably about three or four, I ran into Wilt Chamberlain, literally. We were staying at a hotel where he and his team were staying and I literally ran into him going around the corner in the hall, my head hit his knee and I ended up on the floor. He picked me up and dusted me off and said a few words to my dad. I think my dad ended up getting an autograph out of the deal that's really all I remember about that but he was a nice guy.

I fly a lot for business. The next two events reflect rather negatively on the personalities in question so I'm not going to name them. Both were on commercial flights, one was with an actor, the other an NFL team owner.

On the flight with the actor, I was sitting right next to him in first class. I recognized him the moment I got on the plane but I figured he would like his privacy, so I basically ignored him while I sat down and did some reading and some work. This was a cross-country flight from New York to LA and somewhere over about Utah he decided that he was going to strike up a conversation. That was fine with me, but his idea of a conversation was to berate me for not knowing who he was and making a big deal out of him. He made such a scene, that the stewardess actually came over and asked me if I would like to be reassigned to a different seat. I took her up on the offer. She also cut him off from the bar.

On the flight with the NFL owner, he was seated across the aisle from me and up a row. The thing I noticed about him was that he treated the staff like they were his personal slaves. The stewardesses finally ended up ignoring him which, of course made him rather mad, but the rest of us were silently cheering them on.

I'm sure there are plenty celebrities out there who are regular people and fun to be around. But in my adult life in the two experiences I've had they ended up being more like the southernmost part of the northbound horse.
    Last edited by ksholder; April 29th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I just look in the mirror if I want to see someone famous!

I really have not met anyone famous that I know of. Closest would be some of the musicians in Alabama many years ago in Myrtle Beach before they got famous. Bass guitarist Teddy Gentry was the one I spoke with the most.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I am a legend in my own mind.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I have led a very lucky lief whenit comes to meeting people. My dad worked at, then owned a trophy company in the Boston area. I met Bobby Orr, Terry O'reliiy, Phil Espositi, Carlton Fisk, Yaztremski, and a host of others. I remember meeting Bruno Sammartino (the wrestler) when wrestling was not WWE. He told me he had to get going to rehearsal and gave me a wink. Really gentle man.

I got to meet many of the Washington Capitols and other pro hockey players. When my son was 5 we were watchiing the Washington Cap's practice before his Mite practice. When they walked off the rink I said hi to Joe Sacco. I went to HS with him. My son was in awe I knew a pro. Some of the Caps players kids were in the same league and my sons team so we got to know them.

We got to be good friends with one of the Caps trainers.

I met Sen Thompson and McCain in S. America and had a lengthy chat with them after seeing them in the Embassy then at a store shopping. I have had the privelege of briefing many high ranking officials (not dog and pony briefings, but real briefings). The man I respecgted the most was ret LTG Boykin.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I too, have had the good fortune to meet many a famous and some infamous people in my life. Used to be in the bar business and made my rounds around town. Lots of sports stars, a few media celebs, gangsters, and politicians. One of the most memorable was having a drink with Billy Martin when I was in my 20's. He couldn't have been a nicer gentleman that evening. Another was showing Clete Boyer and a few other Yankee coaches around town one evening and then trading my spring jacket for his Starter Yankee's jacket. Still have it.
    Too manyothers to mention, but a few scotches may loosen my memory.
    NONAME762 likes this.

When I was a kid, My father took me to a tiger game, I crawled out on the dug out and was able to meet the entire team, when Alan Trammell picked me up and brought me into the dug out. That same day on the way home we stopped at a gas station and met Tommy "the hitman" Hearns...Good day....
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Met Mohammad Ali twice about 20-years apart. First time with an entourage, second time with his wife.

Very cordial but not talkative.

Some say Parkinson's, others brain injuries due to boxing but really sad either way.
    NONAME762 and Betty like this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    My girlfriend is a huge TV western's fan and during the past 13 years we've been together we have gone to many western festivals. We (mostly she) got to talk to many stars in depth. Some were very cordial, so not so much. Robert Fuller was very likeable and talkative, as was James McArthur, Shirley McClain, James Drury.
    I can't even begin to remember all the old western stars we've met. Lot's of them were character actors.

My girlfriend owns the best "Rifleman" web site out there and she is a big fan of character actors. Anyone caring to visit it is; The Rifleman Episode Guide List

VIP Member
    In high school, I worked for the school paper and did an interview with Gregory McDonald, the author of the Fletch series of books (one of his books was mandatory reading, and he came to the school). I was told to not mention the movies with Chevy Chase, because it's a sore spot with him. Polite and somewhat distant.

Not exactly a "meeting," but former Titan's coach Jeff Fisher almost rammed into the back of my pickup at a red light years ago. It was the day after he lost a game and he was Not Happy. I used to work in an office that is in view of the Titan's practice field, and so it wasn't uncommon to see some of the players on the road.

Stood in line at the SHOT Show forever a few years ago to meet the Gunny and get his autograph.

gunnyisawesome.jpg

My husband isn't here to post, but he met Taylor Swift at the grocery store with her mom.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

My wife has been hit on by Jeremy Shockey and Jaromir Jagr (not at the same time). Does that count? Cause I hate those guys and if they weren't both so much bigger than me...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links