Further Proof the Village Idiot Runs the Schools

This is a discussion on Further Proof the Village Idiot Runs the Schools within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A CA school takes its kids on a week-long camp out and freaks out when a kid brings a small Swiss Army knife. Kid is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Further Proof the Village Idiot Runs the Schools

VIP Member

Further Proof the Village Idiot Runs the Schools

A CA school takes its kids on a week-long camp out and freaks out when a kid brings a small Swiss Army knife. Kid is held "in solitary confinement". You just can't make this stuff up.

Boy Suspended for Bringing Swiss Army Knife on School Camping Trip | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Well, a school sanctioned event means the rules still have to be followed. That means no knives. The teacher and the school severly overreacted though.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Well, a school sanctioned event means the rules still have to be followed. That means no knives. The teacher and the school severly overreacted though.
    This is true, that is why these rediculous rules need to be changed.
    They are teaching the little kiddies to be good little sheep.

I'm a teacher, and we have a supposed zero tolerance policy about knives in my school. But it's a rural place, and lots of the voc tech kids have leatherman tools or small knives clipped to their pockets. Whenever I see one, I confiscate it, say "You're lucky a more hysterical teacher didn't see this or you'd end up suspended," and tell the guy to get it at the end of the day. People are so uptight.

Yeh, Ya got follow the rules but acting stupid is not to anyone's credit.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

VIP Member
    I'm still trying to figure out why an elementary school would be taking kids on a weeklong camp out to begin with.

Zero-tolerance policies simply allow administrators to apply arbitrary restrictions rather than using the brain God gave them. If they refuse to actually think and use their brain why do we have to pay them so much?
    sensei2 likes this.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    My daughter's 6th grade class went on a camping trip. I was for 3 nights, not a week but it was something they all looked forward to. This was in the 90's and I doubt they do it any more.

I wish the teachers had some common sense nowdays. Caymen_shen is definitely the exception not the rule.
    Yes, rules have to be followed but common sense and a sense of proportionally is important too.

A little Swiss Army Knife at a camping trip is a camping tool. If he had brought it to a birthday party at school that would be a little different but still not grounds for the kind of punishment that was given to this little boy.

I completely agree with the Father's last statement:

“They’re not teaching critical thinking,” he said. “That’s what she’s teaching these kids – to react on your emotions instead of gathering information.”
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    My daughter's 6th grade class went on a camping trip. I was for 3 nights, not a week but it was something they all looked forward to. This was in the 90's and I doubt they do it any more.

I wish the teachers had some common sense nowdays. Caymen_shen is definitely the exception not the rule.
    Yes, rules have to be followed but common sense and a sense of proportionally is important too.

A little Swiss Army Knife at a camping trip is a camping tool. If he had brought it to a birthday party at school that would be a little different but still not grounds for the kind of punishment that was given to this little boy.

I completely agree with the Father's last statement:

“They’re not teaching critical thinking,” he said. “That’s what she’s teaching these kids – to react on your emotions instead of gathering information.”
    Actually, the Dad does not understand even the simplest definition of critical thinking. He is the one acting with emotion, not the teacher. I think the rule is stupid but it does not matter. It was a school event and knives are banned from school. If it is zero tolerance the teacher did her job as much as we don't like it.

The teacher gathered information and did what she was suppose to do. The father wants her to ignore the rule and make a subjective moral decision which is the opposite of critical thinking.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I thought I posted this already so if it shows up twice please excuse me.

It many cases, not all, it seems that as soon as a normally level headed, intelligent person is either elected to or appointed to a school board or some other school related organization that they are instantly transformed into "village idiots" and do or support really stupid ideas, rules or policies.

I find this mystifying.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Actually, the Dad does not understand even the simplest definition of critical thinking. He is the one acting with emotion, not the teacher. I think the rule is stupid but it does not matter. It was a school event and knives are banned from school. If it is zero tolerance the teacher did her job as much as we don't like it.

The teacher gathered information and did what she was suppose to do. The father wants her to ignore the rule and make a subjective moral decision which is the opposite of critical thinking.
    I think it was the extreme punishment given to the kid that was the issue. If the teacher had taken the knife away and told him it's not allowed and given it back after the trip, I would applaud her.

Instead she went into a complete melt down freak out...which tells me she's an emotional reactor, not just enforcing the rules.

Critical thinking involves more than just slavishly following the rules.

For the record, I don't think the boy should have brought the knife on the camping trip either because most little kids get into trouble by accident rather than intent.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

Suntzu - I agree, the rule is the rule and should have been followed. That having been said, I think it is a far stretch to think that a 24 hour solitary confinement forcing the kid to eat, sleep and just be alone for a whole day is an appropriate way to handle this circumstance. If they took the knife away and put him back in the general population, that could have solved the problem just fine. The over-the-top response by the "adults" on site, was what I found offensive in the extreme.

I also find zero tolerance policies are a stupid way to manage any organization. In our school district, using a fire extinguisher for anything other than putting out a fire is grounds for a premanent expulsion - zero tolerance. Now, if the next Dillon Klebold were to, God forbid, show up at our HS, and a quick thinking and/or trained kid used a fire extinguisher to stop the attack by both letting it off in the attackers face then smashing him over the head with it, the rules say he would be permanently expelled and there is nothing that anybody can do about it because it is a zero tolerance policy. This is the kind of stupid stuff that can result from not using common sense to address situations - not to mention putting a 10 yo kid in solitary over a pocket knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    I thought I posted this already so if it shows up twice please excuse me.

It many cases, not all, it seems that as soon as a normally level headed, intelligent person is either elected to or appointed to a school board or some other school related organization that they are instantly transformed into "village idiots" and do or support really stupid ideas, rules or policies.

I find this mystifying.
    Yeah, me too.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Cool Rules run amuck.......

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

Ya Think???If this type of utter Sheer NONSENSE continues in 20-30 years if not less China-Russia-N. Korea... take your pick will be able to land THEIR Marines on OUR beaches, just like the Normandy Invasion and just walk in and TAKE OVER!!!!!!!!

I don't know when I've ever seen a Swiss Army Knife as tiny as that one was. Only a Fool goes camping w/o a Knife. In that same link a Chicago teacher got suspended for 4 days for showing his students a Pair Of PLIERS!!!!!!!!!! I think it's past time to ship the ballot box and replace it with another box.
    -------------- * * *------- -------- ------- ***------ ------ ------ *** ------- -------- ------- *** AMERICA NEEDS HELP ------- -------- -------*** etc.

When I was going to college on the GI Bill in 1976 the Dept Head for my course of study made a deal w/the Arlington School District whereas me and 7 or 8 other 20somethings taught 150 or so 6th graders Outdoor Survival Skills. I had boys (I was also a Counselor ) anywho I taught boys and GIRLS how to start a FIRE with Flint and Steel..

The girls were better and faster at getting a fire going. Of all my college experiences teaching these kids Outdoor Skills made me damn Proud of myself. I would NEVER go in the woods without at least ONE Knife...usually I have 2 or 3.......
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I think it was the extreme punishment given to the kid that was the issue. If the teacher had taken the knife away and told him it's not allowed and given it back after the trip, I would applaud her.

Instead she went into a complete melt down freak out...which tells me she's an emotional reactor, not just enforcing the rules.

Critical thinking involves more than just slavishly following the rules.

For the record, I don't think the boy should have brought the knife on the camping trip either because most little kids get into trouble by accident rather than intent.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Suntzu - I agree, the rule is the rule and should have been followed. That having been said, I think it is a far stretch to think that a 24 hour solitary confinement forcing the kid to eat, sleep and just be alone for a whole day is an appropriate way to handle this circumstance. If they took the knife away and put him back in the general population, that could have solved the problem just fine. The over-the-top response by the "adults" on site, was what I found offensive in the extreme.

I also find zero tolerance policies are a stupid way to manage any organization. In our school district, using a fire extinguisher for anything other than putting out a fire is grounds for a premanent expulsion - zero tolerance. Now, if the next Dillon Klebold were to, God forbid, show up at our HS, and a quick thinking and/or trained kid used a fire extinguisher to stop the attack by both letting it off in the attackers face then smashing him over the head with it, the rules say he would be permanently expelled and there is nothing that anybody can do about it because it is a zero tolerance policy. This is the kind of stupid stuff that can result from not using common sense to address situations - not to mention putting a 10 yo kid in solitary over a pocket knife.
    I agree the punishment part was dumb. And I also think that zero tolerance rules are idiotic. Decisions need to be made on a case by case basis.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Yep...agreed. Zero Tolerance = Zero Intelligence.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance policies.
    lionround likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links