More disturbing police action

This is a discussion on More disturbing police action within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Let me say right up front that I have the utmost respect for our law enforcement and wouldn't want to do their job. I just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: More disturbing police action

VIP Member

Let me say right up front that I have the utmost respect for our law enforcement and wouldn't want to do their job. I just worry that it's becoming easier for some police to do things like this. I hope it's an isolated incident and it's not becoming a trend. I saw this couple interviewed on TV this afternoon and talk about a violation of rights...

Police Take Baby Away From Family That Wanted Second Medical Opinion | Fox News Insider
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Let me say that police do not take children out of a house without cause. They do not go door to door looking for work. They do what they are ordered to do by some agency or District Attorney.

Child Protection can order a child taken away from a home.

Medical centers can have police bring a patient back in that has been taken against medical directives.

Please bear in mind that you heard only one side of the story. I bet when the whole story is told, you might change your mind about the issue.

Had the baby died from abuse, neglect or whatever, would you fault an agency for not doing something? Did you read about the couple that did not believe in medical drs that had their second child die from lack of medical care? Would you think the CPS should have taken that child?

The problem with news media is that none of them tell the entire story but just give one side.
    USM1976 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Sounds like they should move back to Russia where they can experience some liberty...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Let me say that police do not take children out of a house without cause. They do not go door to door looking for work. They do what they are ordered to do by some agency or District Attorney.

Child Protection can order a child taken away from a home.

Medical centers can have police bring a patient back in that has been taken against medical directives.

Please bear in mind that you heard only one side of the story. I bet when the whole story is told, you might change your mind about the issue.

Had the baby died from abuse, neglect or whatever, would you fault an agency for not doing something? Did you read about the couple that did not believe in medical drs that had their second child die from lack of medical care? Would you think the CPS should have taken that child?

The problem with news media is that none of them tell the entire story but just give one side.
    Yes, they probably were ordered to do that by child protection services or whoever has the authority to have the police go into someone's house and remove a child.
    The "abuse" was that there were seeking a second opinion about heart surgery for the baby and the first doctor filed a complaint.

There are plenty of good reasons to take a child from abusive parents but having the police go in seems a little heavy handed, don't you think?
    msgt/ret likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Jean, I agree with both you and oldman45 on this...... If the couples story checks out then CPS has some 'splain' to do. If there's another valid concern that we're not privy to then that'll come out. This incident will set a certain precedent me thinks.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Jean, I agree with both you and oldman45 on this...... If the couples story checks out then CPS has some 'splain' to do. If there's another valid concern that we're not privy to then that'll come out. This incident will set a certain precedent me thinks.
    I think so too Goldshell. I've seen so many babies that should have been removed from the home and aren't (drug addicted mothers). There is so much child abuse, horrible abuse ending in the death of the child that isn't noticed before it's too late.
    I'm just frustrated that these parents are accused of abuse for seeking a second opinion from another doctor!

To me it was a knee jerk reaction and not investigated before the police were sent in. If you're sending the police in to forcibly remove an infant from it's parents you'd better be darn sure you have grounds.

There are some great CPS workers and there are some abysmal CPS workers.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
    msgt/ret and goldshellback like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Let me say right up front that I have the utmost respect for our law enforcement and wouldn't want to do their job. I just worry that it's becoming easier for some police to do things like this. I hope it's an isolated incident and it's not becoming a trend. I saw this couple interviewed on TV this afternoon and talk about a violation of rights...

Police Take Baby Away From Family That Wanted Second Medical Opinion | Fox News Insider
    I might be able to give some insight as to what is happening.

California Child Protective Services and NOT the police more than likely had a court order to take the child. The police are merely baby sitters and protection officers for the Child Protective Services people. What would you do if CPS arrived at your door to seize a child. Probably slap the snot out of at list one of them (they run in small packs). So, the police go with them to protect the CPS critters.

Most police officers I know cannot stand being around these people because of their constant intrusion in to families. Now, granted there are times when it is necessary, but remember, SOMEONE reported this matter to CHild Protective Services and I rather doubt it was a police officer.

I agree fully with oldman45.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    I might be able to give some insight as to what is happening.

California Child Protective Services and NOT the police more than likely had a court order to take the child. The police are merely baby sitters and protection officers for the Child Protective Services people. What would you do if CPS arrived at your door to seize a child. Probably slap the snot out of at list one of them (they run in small packs). So, the police go with them to protect the CPS critters.

Most police officers I know cannot stand being around these people because of their contant intrusion in to families. Now, granted there are times when it is necessary, but remember, SOMEONE reported this matter to CHild Protective Services and I rather doubt it was a police officer.
    In the interview on TV they said it was the first doctor that reported them.
    I agree with the rest of your post although it sure looked as if the police were going in after a gang of criminals, not a woman with her baby.

Guilty until proven innocent.
    CPS Motto: "Take the kid now, ask questions later."

The real frightening thing is that it took days for the courts to start to get their act together and let the parents see and take care of their kid. And even then the parents need to agree to not remove their son from the hospital and must follow "all medical advice". And they must agree to allow CPS visits in the coming weeks to "check up" on them.

I think the parents should just tell CPS and the judge to take a long walk off a short pier. Everything I read gives no indication at all that the parents are doing anything wrong, or not seeking sound medical advice, or doing anything to harm, or allow harm to their son. So why is the government involved at all any more?

Their definition of "compromise" is that they get to overreact, and we need to "compromise" and let them get away with part of their overreaction.

I feel for these parents. They are going through an incredibly difficult time with their son's illness, and the government turns a bad situation even worse.

Psssssssssssst, this was in California which has been the weirdest state in the Union since forever........
    NONAME762 and MasterGadgets like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Unless my child has experinced major trauma you bet I would get a second opinion before open heart surgery. Go in with flu like symptoms and then your told you need heart surgery. I've seen major medical mistakes made in the 5 years I've been in the field. Always question your doctor and ask for another set of tests at another facility before you undergo any life changing/ending surgery.

Still the parents should have talked to the doctor and awaited discharge. They had that right, leaving unannounced was not the right thing to do.

This doctor will look very foolish if Stanford finds the baby didn't need a surgery. If I were the parents I would have gone to Stanford for the second opinion anyways. I wouldn't have trusted Kaiser anymore than Sutter.

Many mistake were made in this situation but none by the police.

A parent has every darn right to seek a second opinion. I dont care what state your in. So now you can be forced to let a doctor you dont trust for some reason keep a child hostage in a hospital and let that doctor perform surgery??

As far as waiting for a discharge if I dont like whats going on with me or my child in a hospital then we are gone, end of story and I invite anyone to try to stop me. Ive done it before and Ill danged sure do it again if I feel the need too. Enough is Enough!!!

This is totally off the dadburn wall.
    ksholder and MasterGadgets like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I might agree that they were out of line if they hadn't taken their child to anoyher Doctor/Hospital for a second opinion,sounds like CPS without any investigation and after a complaint filed by one doctor IMHO exceeded their authority,I hope the couple wins a huge lawsuit against the State and the Doctor
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I had a gut feeling this thread would get gnarly super quick. That's why I'll just be over there ---> holding up the wall.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The mom had started a video camera when the police arrived. A male voice said, "I'm going to grab your baby..." Maybe not the best choice of words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links