US neighborhoods in America that have the highest predicted rates of violent crime

This is a discussion on US neighborhoods in America that have the highest predicted rates of violent crime within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Even the most dangerous cities in America can have relatively safe neighborhoods, as there is more variation in crime within most cities than between cities. ...

Thread: US neighborhoods in America that have the highest predicted rates of violent crime

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

US neighborhoods in America that have the highest predicted rates of violent crime

Even the most dangerous cities in America can have relatively safe neighborhoods, as there is more variation in crime within most cities than between cities. But using exclusive data developed by NeighborhoodScout, and based on FBI data from all 17,000 local law enforcement agencies in America, we here report those specific neighborhoods in America that have the highest predicted rates of violent crime per 1,000 neighborhood residents of all. Violent crimes include murder, forcible rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault. These neighborhoods are the epicenters of violence in America, where social issues are likely to ignite into violence and spread.

Top 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in America ? 2013 ? Neighborhood Scout

2. Remove Ads

Interesting site........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Several Chicago neighborhoods, which was not a surprise. Also, most were urban - areas where people are more likely to support Democrats and their beliefs / ideas / concerns. Looking at the FBI UCR data on gang violence (which they largely attribute to illicit drug trafficking from Mexico) you would think that the people in those areas would push for more gang control, not gun control, as a way to address that violence.

VIP Member
    I have been to 7 of those neighborhoods this year for work (1, 2, 3, 4, 13, 16 & 25) and 2 for family business (17 & 20). There are some rough neighborhoods mentioned.

About a block from #4, I was talking to an older gent at lunch and he mentioned that the bus stop across the street had just been reopened after being closed for 2 years due to a couple of shootings - one drive by that shot a few folks and 1 execution style that killed 1 guy.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

All of the ones in Chicago are on the South Side of town. That is a real shocker.

VIP Member
    Very interesting. Two relatively small towns in SC made the top 10!

None of the others surprise me at all. Does anyone know if a Republican is Mayor in any of them? Just curious.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The area of Spartanburg listed, Washington Heights, is a very low income area with a large portion of subsidized housing. The mayor of Spartanburg is quite liberal. This area suffers from the same type of issues that occur in large cities, many families with absentee fathers, idolization of gangster liefstyle...

I'm surprised to see these "areas" so well defined. Both St. Louis locations are blocks of a neighborhood, not a neighborhood in and of itself. If I were to draw the map based on 33 yrs here, I'd circle the entire North side.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McTufferton View Post
    I'm surprised to see these "areas" so well defined. Both St. Louis locations are blocks of a neighborhood, not a neighborhood in and of itself. If I were to draw the map based on 33 yrs here, I'd circle the entire North side.
    I was kind of suprised when I saw the way the neighborhoods are delineated on the site too. The area I live in is denoted by a neighborhood that use to exist 30 years ago, but is now about 5 houses. Even in its heyday, the neighborhood that gives its name to my area was never as large as the area now gearing its name. It might have taken up about 1/10th of the total area.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Very interesting. Two relatively small towns in SC made the top 10!

None of the others surprise me at all. Does anyone know if a Republican is Mayor in any of them? Just curious.
    I'm not familiar with the areas listed, but I'm not at all surprised, as we have a lot of little towns that are incredibly dangerous. As Phreddy stated, we have a lot of subsidized housing that turn into baby factories. Their families are the gangs that raise them.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Both of the ones in Memphis are within about a mile from where I work. But, I am not allowed to carry at work or leave my weapon in my car.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Hey, I just came back from a Memphis vacation...never felt unsafe at all. But I wasn't in either of those places after dark...

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Wow, only two spots on the list! /sarcasm

Unfortunately I find myself around one of them at least once or twice a month. (Near Convention Center, where two major freeways meet, and by the Toyota Center.)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman_shen View Post
    Hey, I just came back from a Memphis vacation...never felt unsafe at all. But I wasn't in either of those places after dark...
    That's the key to visiting cities...stay in the tourist areas. Washington DC is very safe around the Smithsonian and Monument complex but heaven help you if you wander off into Anacostia.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's the key to visiting cities...stay in the tourist areas. Washington DC is very safe around the Smithsonian and Monument complex but heaven help you if you wander off into Anacostia.
    Oh I like to wander and so forth, so I get away from the tourist areas a bit. In Memphis I went to some pretty dodgy areas, including abandoned buildings, the train tracks, under bridges...Wal Mart :P I like to explore. But in the DAY.

And of course whether I FELT unsafe or WAS unsafe are two very, very different things.

Links