Palm Beach Sheriff - Rat out your friends and family for being upset about the Gov't

This is a discussion on Palm Beach Sheriff - Rat out your friends and family for being upset about the Gov't within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Real Title: Palm Beach County sheriff gets $1 million for violence prevention unit amid questions about civil liberties, care for mentally ill Monday, April 29, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Palm Beach Sheriff - Rat out your friends and family for being upset about the Gov't

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

Palm Beach Sheriff - Rat out your friends and family for being upset about the Gov't

Real Title: Palm Beach County sheriff gets $1 million for violence prevention unit amid questions about civil liberties, care for mentally ill
    Monday, April 29, 2013
    By Dara Kam and Stacey Singer - Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

My Comments: If you live in Palm Beach County, FL, watch what you say. There is a very slippery slope here that will no doubt lead to a lot of 'preventive' firearms confiscation from Law Abiding citizens. I'm sure there will be at least one good 2A related law suit against the Sheriff over this policy. Granted, the intent of this is good, but it will go well beyond true mentally and unstable people, if not to just get the numbers to justify the State Grant of money. They will have to now 'prove' that the program is successful, and that trap will snare some undeserving people. It is the way Govt works, at all levels.

Florida House and Senate budget leaders have awarded Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw $1 million for a new violence prevention unit aimed at preventing tragedies like those in Newtown, Conn., and Aurora, Colo., from occurring on his turf.

.......Bradshaw is readying a hotline and is planning public service announcements to encourage local citizens to report their neighbors, friends or family members if they fear they could harm themselves or others.

The goal won’t be to arrest troubled people but to get them help before there’s violence, Bradshaw said. As a side benefit, law enforcement will have needed information to keep a close eye on things.

“We want people to call us if the guy down the street says he hates the government, hates the mayor and he’s gonna shoot him,” Bradshaw said. “What does it hurt to have somebody knock on a door and ask, ‘Hey, is everything OK?’ ”

Palm Beach County sheriff gets $1 million for violence... | www.mypalmbeachpost.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    So I'm pissed at the neighbor and call it in to cause him problems? Sure seems open to abuse.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Crimestoppers" has always existed here. This is only an extension of it. I am usually pissed at the world. Doesn't make me crazy, just pissed.
    PEF, shadowwalker and NONAME762 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Bradshaw acknowledged the risk that anyone in a messy divorce or in a dispute with a neighbor could abuse the hotline. But, he said, he’s confident that his trained professionals will know how to sort out fact from fiction.

“We know how to sift through frivolous complaints,” he said.

I'm going to hold off judgment for the time being and see how it goes. I've got relatives in Palm Beach County that will keep me posted.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

My guess is that at any point in history there's about 49% of the country that doesn't like govt. guess they're gonna round up all the people that don't agree with them???
    palmgopher likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

:built:
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My guess is that at any point in history there's about 49% of the country that doesn't like govt. guess they're gonna round up all the people that don't agree with them???
    The govt will have to open all those vacant FEMA camps to house all of us. :built:
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 3rd, 2013 at 02:53 AM.
    Cheesewiz likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I think the Nazi's tried this before, not good results .......

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Can you say Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia?

And how did that work out?
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Here is a Florida scenario , you have made it clear but in a conversation that you just don't agree with this administration, you say a couple of unkind words, your unwavering attitude on the second amendment and your neighbor who is a Liberal Gun hater drops a dime on you to the sheriff. He does not like you because you threaten his ideas of the Obama world, and the hatred of Guns. The Swat team shows up, they Baker act you for observation for 24 hours. You are let go because you obviously are not a threat to anybody but a Liberal at the voting booth..... Now you have been forcibly committed and say good bye to your guns .... Oh you can probably get them back with help of a attorney but its gonna cost you Big Time
    BugDude likes this.

VIP Member
    From the article

“If the neighbor of the mom in Newtown had called somebody, this might have saved 25 kids’ lives.”
    That is a pretty good trick given that only 20 kids were killed. The rest, 6, were adults.

This program does not exactly have liberty written on it...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    It really is a fine line. I understand what the Sheriff is trying to say. If you have good reason to suspect something is going on then for heavens sakes...tell him.
    However, I can also see this being abused for all sorts of reasons, like personal grudges.

The recent Ricin event is an example. One guy set the other one up because they had an internet feud going.

I guess it's nothing new but it still makes me a little uneasy.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Ghost1958 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I would imagine that the neighbor of the mom in Newtown would have called had he/she known he was killing his mother.
    Or probably would have called had the shooter actually done anything to call about that was known about.

Of course without the now famous crystal ball its sort of hard to call on someone and say, you need to come and arrest this person that hasnt done anything illegal, hasnt threatened to. and isnt doing anything illegal at the moment either. But he might someday.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post

It worked out pretty well for us. We ain't speaking German or Japanese.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    It worked out pretty well for us. We ain't speaking German or Japanese.
    Did I miss something? With did Russia switch to Japanese?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links