Do we have any doctors or nurses on this board?

This is a discussion on Do we have any doctors or nurses on this board? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need to ask a medical question to anyone who feels qualified to answer. My wife sustained a bad burn on her forearm. Its about ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Grantspastor
  • 3 Post By Paymeister
  • 1 Post By 91wm6

Thread: Do we have any doctors or nurses on this board?

Do we have any doctors or nurses on this board?

I need to ask a medical question to anyone who feels qualified to answer. My wife sustained a bad burn on her forearm. Its about five inches long, two inches wide. The picture below was snapped soon after the burn. Recently, however, I noticed some yellow bubbles around the edges. It doesn't look like pus. It has the distinct yellow of fat. I'm wondering if its possible or likely that the burn got down deep enough to the fat, causing it to "leak" out. Any opinions?
    Attached Images
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

They are blisters caused by the burn. Filled with serum, not fat. Looks like that one hurt!! I'm not a Dr, but used to be an EMT
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    They are blisters caused by the burn. Filled with serum, not fat. Looks like that one hurt!! I'm not a Dr, but used to be an EMT
    Yeah, it happened Wednesday night, and she's still in a lot of pain. To make matters worse, she has a pacemaker, so we have to be extra careful about infection.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Sure sounds like a second degree burn (old EMT here). Two things I do know: 1) try not to break the blisters if you can possibly avoid it, and 2) it's probably worth a call to your doc.
    atctimmy, msgt/ret and USM1976 like this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I've seen a few burns as an army nurse. I agree with the second degree burn advice, meaning it involves the epidermis and dermis but not the subcutaneous or "fat" layer of skin. The biggest issues are pain and the threat of infection. I'd take her to an md for some pain medication if she has cardiac history. Prolonged pain can really stress the body including the heart. Good luck...
    USM1976 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sure looks 2nd degree to me. Keep it clean and covered. It may be too late for a doc to do much but I'd certainly check.

My daughter was accidently burned once (2nd dg) and they gave us some sort of special creme to prevent scaring. It worked.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

All of these fine gentlemen (maybe some ladies?) beat me to it. It looks like a second degree burn, and see a doctor to be safe and maybe get some cool meds.

A Former EMT, so here's my 2 cent's

That is a Partial Thickness or 2nd degree burn as has been correctly pointed out and they are indeed blood serum filled blisters. This is in line with such a thermal injury. If you can find it in a pharmacy, try to obtain some "Water-Gel" or "Water Jel" depending on the product available. It is essentially the same formula of deionized water, tea tree oil and a mild topical pain reliever.

Cover the burn being sure to overlap the edges by at least an inch in all directions, and cover it with a light loose bandage of your choosing to hold it all in place.

If in 3 to 4 days of such treatment it is not responding, then you should seek medical advice that will cost more than my 2 cent's.

Hope she feel's better !
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

VIP Member
    My Harley's exhaust pipe put one like that on my calf.

Being me, I ignored it and got lucky. It eventually turned into a giant scab. Tell your wife that I've felt her pain (it really does hurt).

You might also try to find some Dermoplast, or something else with Benzocaine in it to help with the pain.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

you are clearly concerned about infection, have you sought medical attention?

VIP Member
    That looks very painful! Bactine spray may help or Solarcaine (usually for sunburns) spray.

I'd go to the doctor though, just to be on the safe side. Also, she may be able to get some better pain killers than over the counter.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Links