My CD/DVD burner

This is a discussion on My CD/DVD burner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK so I got this new computer, and I go to Wally World (packing of course), and for the life of me I can't figure ...

Thread: My CD/DVD burner

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

My CD/DVD burner

OK so I got this new computer, and I go to Wally World (packing of course), and for the life of me I can't figure out which pack of discs to buy to record movies and stills off my camcorder/hard drive. IIRC I got all the +- R/W features on the puter, but everything I find at WM seems geared to audio. HELP !?!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    if under 700 meg filesize use cd-r ( the rw stands for re writable the r is write one time only ) . If over 700 meg filesize use dvd disk , and i suggest you get a good authoring program if you are planning on makeing disks to play back on your tv via a dvd player .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Agreed. If you are authoring DVD's that playback like a movie, use DVD-R as it's a tad more compatible with set top players.

If you are just burning files that total under 700MB, use CD-R, or CD-RW which are erasable and reusable.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. WW must be hiding the DVD disks!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Best Buy

i'd suggest Best Buy for DVD or CD blanks. They usually have one brand or another on sale. Definitely invest in some DVD authoring software like Studio or Sonic - you can make some really cool DVDs with just a little bit of practice.

Para,

you'll probably want to get DVD-R discs. Most burners nowadays can burn both DVD-R and DVD+R discs, but the -R discs are usually a bit cheaper and many burners burn them faster. As to the difference between the two, to put it simply, DVD-R came first and only worked in about half of the commercial DVD players. DVD+R was created for increased compatibility with commercial players. If your not going to put these in your TV's DVD player, definitely go with -R. If you are, buy a couple -R and +R's to test for compatibility before you snag a big spindle. As dlcrouch mentioned, Best Buy is usually better than WW. You also might want to check out a Fry's if you've got one near you. And as our friendly, neighborhood Redneck pointed out, if it is less than 700 MB, go for CD-R.

If you're not against buying online, you can usually find great deals on http://www.newegg.com and http://www.tigerdirect.com.

Hope this helps (can you tell I work with computers?) If you've got any more questions, feel free to PM me.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Links