Beware of the command line

Beware of the command line

This is a discussion on Beware of the command line within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The recent thread about the OC'er in Philly reminded me of an actual incident from a few years back where a college student was observed ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By noway2
  • 2 Post By lionround
  • 3 Post By lionround

Thread: Beware of the command line

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Wink Beware of the command line

The recent thread about the OC'er in Philly reminded me of an actual incident from a few years back where a college student was observed by campus police using a (text) command line interface to a PC running Linux instead of a Windows GUI and the officer thought that the action meant that he was committing an illegal act. Slashdot had an interesting review of the report and referred to the students actions as "command line interface terrorism". Link here, with an NSFW warning due to course language in the comments. My, hands down, favorite comment was this one.
    lionround likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

*Do not do this*

I've always found that the best way to defend against this is to delete the SYSTEM32 folder.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I remember when even Windows would let you issue: "format c: /u" Something about my own PC saying "access denied" strikes me as wrong.

VIP Member
    They'd have a heart-attack if they ever saw a Unix system.

I once lost a prospect when I explained that our software ran as a daemon (pronounced 'demon') process.

Back in the day my C:/ prompt was Bill the Cat... can't dupe it here 'cause software doesn't allow for necessary spaces.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    My, hands down, favorite comment was this one.
    I don't care who you are, that's funny.
    NONAME762 and McTufferton like this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Cool

Well OP I understood exactly about 1% of your post. Least ways until I went to your "hands down, favorite comment was this one."

Pretty Freakin' Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I have enuf IQ points to comment on the comments in the Link that I thought was so Freakin' Hilarious so I ain't even gonna try......
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

We have Windows 7 at work and not "allowed" to write batch files. I do it all the time because there are certain aspects of my job that I could not complete without them. The young IT guys around here don't even know what they are, much less how to write one. I love it when the 20 somethings come to the old man to get a batch file written.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    We have Windows 7 at work and not "allowed" to write batch files. I do it all the time because there are certain aspects of my job that I could not complete without them. The young IT guys around here don't even know what they are, much less how to write one. I love it when the 20 somethings come to the old man to get a batch file written.
    sooooo.last week..... I haven't written a batch file in ..... nope don't 'member... long time... Usta love 'em though... but I been out of the bidness for so long... I do like to mess with the IT guys still though... it is fun.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I used to modify the code for the calculator that comes with windows. I would make one of the keys become a random number to calculate but on the screen the number would appear correct when entered.

Another fun thing was to remap the keyboard where the , and period would be swapped or the ( )'s

Many flks don't know you can move the task bar so it is fun to either reduce it so it is not visible or place it on the top of the screen of bottom.
    The following idea is not mine but I did something similiar:
    This last prank is my own personal creation – I call it the “fake boot virus.” Basically, you create a Windows script that shuts down the computer, and put it in the Startup folder. Here is the script that will accomplish a complete shutdown of a Windows system without prompting.
    <job>
    <script language=”VBScript”>
    Dim objShell
    Dim strComputer
    Dim strShutdown
    Do
    strComputer = “Owner-PC”
    strShutdown = “shutdown -s -t 0 -f -m \\” & strComputer
    set objShell = CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
    objShell.Run strShutdown
    Wscript.Quit
    </script>
    </job>
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I used to modify the code for the calculator that comes with windows. I would make one of the keys become a random number to calculate but on the screen the number would appear correct when entered.

Another fun thing was to remap the keyboard where the , and period would be swapped or the ( )'s

Many flks don't know you can move the task bar so it is fun to either reduce it so it is not visible or place it on the top of the screen of bottom.
    The following idea is not mine but I did something similiar:
    You found that on google, didnt you.....LMAO....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You found that on google, didnt you.....LMAO....
    Just the last part where is said the idea was not mine. I am sure the other ones are not my invention.....I give credit where credit is due..
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Just the last part where is said the idea was not mine. I am sure the other ones are not my invention.....I give credit where credit is due..
    Just having some fun with you....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

....I give credit where credit is due..
    ...NO CREDIT......CASH ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Just jerkin' your chain Bro.
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 21st, 2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: 0opsy
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Sponsored Links