Smart Targets - The Future of Training?

This is a discussion on Smart Targets - The Future of Training? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I came across this bit in this morning's IBD and thought it might be of interest to the community. "Soldiers need targets to practice marksmanship, ...

Thread: Smart Targets - The Future of Training?

Smart Targets - The Future of Training?

I came across this bit in this morning's IBD and thought it might be of interest to the community.
    "Soldiers need targets to practice marksmanship, and a hightech one could soon make those paper sheets and wooden pop-up targets obsolete. Australian company Marathon Targets has adapted Segway scooters to make them movable dummies, taking target practice to a new level. The company is conducting tests of the robotic devices with the U.S. Marines."

"Marathon applies state-of-the-art robotic technology to live-fire marksmanship training. This approach simultaneously improves realism and challenge of training while reducing the overall cost of ownership.

Smart targets are autonomous, which provides a set of unique capabilities:

• Realistic, challenging and unpredictable motion

• Responsive behaviour

• Minimum infrastructure"

Here's the lonk to their web site:
    Marathon Targets: Smart Targets for Live-Fire Training

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

2. Remove Ads

Wait, someone found a legitimate use for Segways?

Also, looks like the SA80 has a rail system now. I bet it falls off in the field...
    British by birth. American by choice.

They can run for cover when another gets shot? That is COOL!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member
    Man, a stay shot could be expensive, considering how ranges get mad if you hit the target clips or stands.

Links