Hey farm people or gardeners...I have a question

This is a discussion on Hey farm people or gardeners...I have a question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm about to plant a Red Raspberry, Black Raspberry and Blueberry bush. Do any of these need a support...like a tomato cage thingy or do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hey farm people or gardeners...I have a question

VIP Member

Hey farm people or gardeners...I have a question

I'm about to plant a Red Raspberry, Black Raspberry and Blueberry bush. Do any of these need a support...like a tomato cage thingy or do I just let them grow on their own?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Please be a responsible berry owner. The only plant worse when left unattended is the cutzo.

Putting up a three or four strand short run of wire fence allows you to keep them trimmed and the runners off the ground and not spreading. It also keeps the berries up off the ground and higher than the tallest dog. Old adage never pick a berry shorter than the tallest dog.

Good Luck

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My father in law has a blackberry patch, he has several wires running between posts to tie them to. And they can get out of control in a hurry.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    They sell berries in the produce section of Wal mart, but you knew that, huh?
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Start them off on a wire, especially the first couple of years. It gets to the point where the wire will be completely covered and you'll never know its there.

VIP Member
    OK...thanks! I'm off to Tractor Supply for some fencing.

I promise to be a responsible berry grower.

Yeah lion...I know Wal Mart sells berries; but who's going to look sheepish when the shtf and I'm sittin fat and happy with my berries and WalMart is closed. Huhhhhhh?
    msgt/ret likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    I have hundreds and they are almost impossible to kill once they get going. Their thorns are like fish hooks. Every year my wife and I harvest berries for jams and jellies. The best stuff you ever want to eat. Worth all the pain and blood shed. good luck
    packinnova likes this.

Remember to check your soil ph. I have to add acidifier once or twice a year for my blueberries.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I NH we didn't have to do anything for blackberries....just walked down the road. You couldn't wing a dead cat without hitting a blackberrie patch! I could not fathom why anybody that lved there went to the store to buy them. oh.....stupid tourist!

Anyway jean..go with the wire. It is about the easist thing in the world to grow.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Anyway jean..go with the wire. It is about the easist thing in the world to grow.
    Suntzu, she's not trying to grow wire. She's trying to grow berries.

Sorry, I could not help myself.
    suntzu and ksholder like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    OK...thanks! I'm off to Tractor Supply for some fencing.

I promise to be a responsible berry grower.

Yeah lion...I know Wal Mart sells berries; but who's going to look sheepish when the shtf and I'm sittin fat and happy with my berries and WalMart is closed. Huhhhhhh?
    You are gonna have to eat a lot of berries to get fat. Happy, that is pretty easy with berries, but fat...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I'm about to plant a Red Raspberry, Black Raspberry and Blueberry bush. Do any of these need a support...like a tomato cage thingy or do I just let them grow on their own?
    To add a little gun content:

If you haven't grown berries before, be aware that they attract rodents in droves. The rodents in turn attract snakes. We always pack a .38 loaded with snake shot when we're out in the berry patch! Our area is thick with copperheads.

I would ordinarily have more of a live-and-let-live approach, but between the grandkids, pets, and my wife's exotic poultry, we need to keep the snake population in check - particularly the venomous ones. We just had a big ol' rat snake eat three of my wife's baby chicks this week!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Please be a responsible berry owner. The only plant worse when left unattended is the cutzo...
    You mean kudzu? Or something else?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

get the thornless variety if you can. i just planted some along a fenceline. we, too, are planting pretty much only fruit bearing trees and shrubs these days. gonna order a couple of dwarf citrus trees, too, for vitamin c.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

re: blueberries, plant more than one bush, at least two varieties so they cross pollinate properly.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links