Food dehydrator?

This is a discussion on Food dehydrator? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been wanting a food dehydrator to make my own jerky and to dry other foods. One reason is that I'm hypoglycemic, so I have ...

Thread: Food dehydrator?

VIP Member

Food dehydrator?

I've been wanting a food dehydrator to make my own jerky and to dry other foods. One reason is that I'm hypoglycemic, so I have to make sure I have food on me, and energy bars and store-bought jerky are getting really tiring. So I hope to come up with my own kind of nutritious gorp that'll keep me going between regular meals.

Does anybody here use one and can recommend a good, inexpensive food dehydrator? I found this one at my local Bass Pro Shops, but I don't know if it's a decent one or not.

And any good jerky recipes? Spicy is good.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I have had a cheap dehydrator for about 5 years now. Not sure of the quality of the dehydrator you found.
    Cut venison or beef into thin strips.
    Marinade in soy sauce (about 1/2 a bottle ) seasonings
    red pepper flakes
    pepper
    essence of Emeril
    any other spices ya might like
    then add water so all the meat is covered. I fill the remained of the bowl with water.
    Let soak for 2 days.
    dehydrate till dry as you like.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My in laws have a Wally World special dehydrator. Probably around the same price. Don't know what brand it is, nothing fancy. Served for 5 years and still going strong.

My bro in law makes all the jerky with some of those store bought seasoning kits. Don't really know what brand or type. He just tries stuff. With deer season upon us, hopefully it will be working overtime. We usually jerky up a nice old doe every year.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Assistant Administrator
    We have one Betty tho no idea of make etc. It works well but the plastic trays tend to have bits break off!

I reckon tho best might be to scour the web and see what's out there. Cost shouldn't be too high but worth getting something with some strength in it IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Betty, my wife and I have that exact same one (atleast looks the same we got it as a gift). It works great had it for 4 years and made lots of dehydrated fruit and jerky. I think you will probably be well served by it.

I use a Luhr-Jensen "Big Chief" with Hi Mountain seasonings for all my jerky. It works really well, but everyone in the neighborhood knows your making jerky! I don't know about using it for dehydrating foods though. It would work, but with all the smoke residue in it, you'd end up with hickory flavored dried apples or something!

Administrator
    When you decide which one want I would search Ebay for it first.
    Just do a general search for Food Dehydrator.

It's one of those items that some folks get as a gift & never use so you might be able to catch yourself a really good deal on one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I have one that I got at Walmart. It's made by American Harvest. About $40. Has four round racks, and if you buy more racks (they're available inexpensively online) you can stack more. I have done 8 racks of homemade beef jerky at one time. Prep takes a bit of time, and I marinate the meat for about two days prior to drying. Drying time takes about 6-10 hours depending on the thickness of the meat slices. I have done fruit also. Dried fruit in a blower-dehydrator like these does not come out looking a lot like what you get in a package from a store, but at least you know what was done to it.

Homemade beef jerky is so vastly superior to storebought jerky that I cannot begin to express how much. I have had people tell me that mine is the best jerky they've ever had in their lives. I have a whole array of seasonings I use on it, and I always use grade A london broil for the meat.

That is crucial: use LONDON BROIL for jerky. And trim any and all fat or gristle from it prior to drying.

Marinate in a combo of A1 steak sauce, soy sauce, hot red pepper sauce, teriyaki sauce (optional), with garlic powder, onion powder, lots of black pepper, Lawry's seasoned salt. Cover the rest with water, leave in the fridge for one or two days. Lie it out with space between pieces on the dehydrator racks, and leave for at least six hours on the high setting (I believe it's 150, often the top temp on these machines). Check individual pieces for doneness after six hours, every hour.

You do not want the jerky completely desiccated. There's gotta be some moisture left in it or it will be crispy and inedible.

Enjoy!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Betty, my favorite marinade for my own jerky is 30 minute marinade by Lawry's. It's not really made for jerky, but it makes some awesome stuff.

Another seasoning that's real good is 'Spade L'. I'm not sure how widespread the availability is for that particular brand.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    And any good jerky recipes? Spicy is good.
    Betty, here is one that I and a bunch of RevWar reenactors use:

1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup Worcester sauce
    4 teaspoons Accent
    4 teaspoons seasoned salt
    4 teaspoons onion powder
    1-1/3 teaspoon garlic power
    1-1/3 teaspoon black pepper
    4 table spoons liquid smoke

Mix everything, soak as long as you dare, enjoy!

As for dehydrators, I think about any good one will do.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the help, everybody. Now let's see if I can get one for Christmas.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I just picked up a dehydrator tonight from my parents. I was over painting the house today with my brother and I had brought it up that I wanted to get one and try the jerky in it. Next thing I know my mom it putting one in my truck that she bought and never used. So I lucked out with one just by mentioning it. Look's like a nice one with 5 shelves. I am going to try some of the recommended recipies from this thread. I will let ya know how I come out on it!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    I just picked up a dehydrator tonight from my parents. I was over painting the house today with my brother and I had brought it up that I wanted to get one and try the jerky in it. Next thing I know my mom it putting one in my truck that she bought and never used. So I lucked out with one just by mentioning it. Look's like a nice one with 5 shelves. I am going to try some of the recommended recipies from this thread. I will let ya know how I come out on it!

Ti.
    Same here. Couple of them look pretty tasty

Links