Pest control Air Rifle

This is a discussion on Pest control Air Rifle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wasn't sure where else to post this but for "off topic". I'm having one heck of a time with tree rats around here (grey squirrels). ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pest control Air Rifle

Pest control Air Rifle

Wasn't sure where else to post this but for "off topic". I'm having one heck of a time with tree rats around here (grey squirrels). Being in a more urban environment a .22lr is out of the question.

I've been doing some research and I think I want this: Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk .22-Caliber Rifle

Anyone have some experience with either this air rifle or just air rifles in general? These things don't look anything like the BB guns of yesteryear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I recently purchased a .17 Crosman Optimus for rodent control issues, and have been very satisfied with the results.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Being plaqued by the rodents, I've become somewhat of an expert on getting rid of them, sort of.

First off, check your state and local laws. They are probably listed as game animals. Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to classify them as "nusiances." I could because they chewed up the eaves on my house. Therefore, without needing a "permit" I could kill them or live trap them and carry them away. Shooting them wasn't a viable option, so I picked up a $30 Havaheart trap at HD and a bag of raw peanuts. In about six months I trapped about 30 of them. There is an oak grove with no homes nearby that has a very healthy squirrel population now. Don't get the traps from Harbor Branch. I found out--like the reviews said--the squirrels will escape from them.

Get the trap and have patience. A glob of peanutbutter will help hold the peanuts on the trigger plate.
    oldnfat likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with old vet, check with state and local laws before you do anything, find out what you need to do to hunt or if you can and then look at a good .177 pellet rifle. cheap and abundant ammo quieter than a 22 and you can usually get a basic model between 80 and 150 bucks. i've been eyeing this one at walmart Crosman Phantom Rifle and Range Kit - Walmart.com
    1) it shoots up to 1200 fps which is sufficient for small game/rodents 2) it comes with sweet zombie targets and 3) well its only 100 bucks so you aren't breaking the bank

From what I understand of the local laws, since they have caused damage to my property that's going to cost me money to fix, this makes them a nuisance, and can be eliminated.

If I were going to keep the pelts, or eat them, then I would be hunting and would need a small game license (which I have).

So I'm good either way apparently.

I've heard and read so much of the caliber debate, that my head feels like exploding. .177 vs .22 vs .25. It goes on and on.

Basically I'm more worried about accuracy than anything else. Once I eliminate the nuisance animals, I don't want the rifle sitting. I'd like something I can have some fun with. After watching Ted's Holdover , I decided I want something that will hit a 3.6" target at 75 yards, without breaking the bank.

From what I read the Crosman Nitro Venom, appeared to fit that bill. I think the .177 version might be better.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I've heard and read so much of the caliber debate, that my head feels like exploding. .177 vs .22 vs .25. It goes on and on.

It won't matter to the squirrel.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Went to my local Cabela's and was quite disappointed. They had all kinds of Airsoft guns, but an extremely limited selection of "adult air rifles".

Guess its to the interwebs I go!

I think the Gamo is the gold standard for varmint air rifles. My bro-in-law has one and has been very successful against beavers and nutria. Not sure which exact model he has, but I think it's a .22.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XD9rottie View Post
    Went to my local Cabela's and was quite disappointed. They had all kinds of Airsoft guns, but an extremely limited selection of "adult air rifles".

Guess its to the interwebs I go!

I picked mine up at Dunham's. They didn't have a huge selection, but I'm happy with what I got.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Had a gamo hunter in .17, (gave it to the son) the buzz twang drove me nuts when fired as did the severe reverse recoil. Picked up a Stoger X-50 in .22.
    It feels like a real gun no buzz twang, quiet, accurate, and will kick out a heavy pellet at 1,100 FPS.

Stoeger Arms X50 Breakbarrel Air Rifle Combo. Air rifles
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Yea, I think for me to be TRUELY happy with my purchase I'm going to have to increase my budget. Seems like with most things, you get what you pay for.

I'm starting to look into the pre-charged guns, but more research is required. In the mean time I picked up a crossman pump pistol. Figured it start small in the basement and get used to the idea of pellets :)

Anything from Crosman or Benjamin will suit you well. I have several adult airguns and have taken everything from flies to raccoons with them. The Crosman guns have great customer service and track records. One of my favorite guns is a Crosman Titan I have. (A Benjamin trail is a slightly upgraded version and can be bought from Walmart.) Very accurate and hits hard. I find the .22 to be the best all around caliber. I have .177, .22, and a .25. .25 should be reserved for high powered pcp powered guns. .177 is ok but I have found that for hunting .22 is optimum. Accurate, hard hitting, and plenty for most small game. Check out gatewaytoairguns.org there is all kinds of info on that site!

The buzz and twang is caused by the main spring. You can have the guns professionally tuned to eliminate that or you can do it yourself with the correct tools. If you purchase a nitro piston powered gun like the one mentioned earlier in my post this will not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by XD9rottie View Post
    Yea, I think for me to be TRUELY happy with my purchase I'm going to have to increase my budget. Seems like with most things, you get what you pay for.

I'm starting to look into the pre-charged guns, but more research is required. In the mean time I picked up a crossman pump pistol. Figured it start small in the basement and get used to the idea of pellets :)

A 1377 I assume? I have one with a flat top piston and valve kit and have taken squirrels out to 20 yards with it. They are accurate and shoot hard for a pistol.

Neighbor and I have been using semi-auto "paintball guns" to run them off with out killing them. Works great!!! gets their "attention" Non toxic, washes off in a couple days and adds to the neighborhood ambience by seeing all the "spotted" squirrels running around.
    sauerpuss, B_2keys and oldnfat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradyman1 View Post
    A 1377 I assume? I have one with a flat top piston and valve kit and have taken squirrels out to 20 yards with it. They are accurate and shoot hard for a pistol.
    Correct. I picked up a 1377 from Dick's Sporting Goods. It's got a plastic receiver and is bone stock, but its shooting dime sized groups from 20 feet already!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links