Son's Elementary School Went on Lockdown

Son's Elementary School Went on Lockdown

This is a discussion on Son's Elementary School Went on Lockdown within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sitting at work the other day and I get an alert email from his school. School is on lockdown because of police activity in the ...

Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By Jeanlouise

Thread: Son's Elementary School Went on Lockdown

  1. #1
    Member Array DonPablo_VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    225

    Son's Elementary School Went on Lockdown

    Sitting at work the other day and I get an alert email from his school. School is on lockdown because of police activity in the area. No direct threat to the school, but as a precautionary measure, we are locking down the school. Everyone brought inside and no admittance.

    I was glad to hear their positive quick action and the fact that the County PD obviously went over to/contacted the school. I called the school a couple of hours later. The receptionist said everything was fine and the nearby CVS Pharmacy (maybe 150-200m away) had been robbed.

    DP


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,571
    I ripped a loud one yesterday and three nearby schools went into lockdown and Hazmat teams were called out. Lockdowns are becoming no more rare than periodic fire drills.
    lionround, msgt/ret and archer51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  3. #3
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by DonPablo_VA View Post
    Sitting at work the other day and I get an alert email from his school. School is on lockdown because of police activity in the area. No direct threat to the school, but as a precautionary measure, we are locking down the school. Everyone brought inside and no admittance.

    I was glad to hear their positive quick action and the fact that the County PD obviously went over to/contacted the school. I called the school a couple of hours later. The receptionist said everything was fine and the nearby CVS Pharmacy (maybe 150-200m away) had been robbed.

    DP
    Glad it wasn't anything more serious!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  4. #4
    Member Array 91wm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    301
    Is anybody else unhappy with public school lockdown procedures? If there is a threat serious enough to warrant lockdown, then I want my children under my immediate care with the tools to defend them. Instead they lock the kids up and deny me access to the school. If there were armed guards present I wouldn't mind, but all they're doing is offering these kids up for slaughter should an armed killer gain access to the school.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,262
    Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    Is anybody else unhappy with public school lockdown procedures? If there is a threat serious enough to warrant lockdown, then I want my children under my immediate care with the tools to defend them. Instead they lock the kids up and deny me access to the school. If there were armed guards present I wouldn't mind, but all they're doing is offering these kids up for slaughter should an armed killer gain access to the school.
    Well, putting the kids behind harder-to-enter areas rather than having them running about sure is an improvement.

    But, as you say, it's hardly a solution as such.

    School facilities need hardened entry points; hardened procedures for access; segregated areas inside the facility that are hard to get between, section to section (slowing progress through a facility, as with hardened internal doors, security windows, multiple choke points before getting through to the next section, etc); armed staff; heavy training. But starting from square one with zero funding, little to none of this is going to happen for most (nearly all) schools.

    What they need to do is leverage volunteer efforts of armed parents and staff, IMO; leverage the skills and training of both active and retired LE and military; realize that National Guard, retired LE and others can dedicate some of their time to providing active security at such places; and, ultimately, beefing up and "hardening" the facilities and procedures. The few "studies" I've seen have many recommendations like this. But most schools simply don't do much beyond simple procedural changes, installing a tougher front door, and possibly hiring an unarmed "guard" or two.

    If money grew on trees, there'd likely be much more done. If there were sufficient determination to get effective steps in place, though, I'd bet much, much more could be done than is being done now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If money grew on trees, there'd likely be much more done. If there were sufficient determination to get effective steps in place, though, I'd bet much, much more could be done than is being done now.
    Yes, can you imagine if the money the Anti's are using to Lobby and protest was used in the schools for some real defense of their children?
    Instead they pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into gun control laws when we all know no amount of law is going to stop someone from using a gun unlawfully.
    3wggl, msgt/ret and ccw9mm like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array BigJon10125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,243
    We had a presentation by a school police officer regarding active shooter scenarios. One thing he suggested was getting the kids off campus if possible. Seems to go against the whole lockdown idea, but I agree that getting the kids away from the threat would be better than cowering in a classroom with no protection.

    Glad everything was ok at your child's school.
    BigJon


    "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Member Array 91wm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, putting the kids behind harder-to-enter areas rather than having them running about sure is an improvement.

    But, as you say, it's hardly a solution as such.

    School facilities need hardened entry points; hardened procedures for access; segregated areas inside the facility that are hard to get between, section to section (slowing progress through a facility, as with hardened internal doors, security windows, multiple choke points before getting through to the next section, etc); armed staff; heavy training. But starting from square one with zero funding, little to none of this is going to happen for most (nearly all) schools.

    What they need to do is leverage volunteer efforts of armed parents and staff, IMO; leverage the skills and training of both active and retired LE and military; realize that National Guard, retired LE and others can dedicate some of their time to providing active security at such places; and, ultimately, beefing up and "hardening" the facilities and procedures. The few "studies" I've seen have many recommendations like this. But most schools simply don't do much beyond simple procedural changes, installing a tougher front door, and possibly hiring an unarmed "guard" or two.

    If money grew on trees, there'd likely be much more done. If there were sufficient determination to get effective steps in place, though, I'd bet much, much more could be done than is being done now.
    Excellent points. Tx ranks 49th in the nation for school funding, yet some local schools have still managed to hire armed guards. My daughters' elementary school has implemented a "watchdog program" that provides 2 unarmed fathers on campus for the day. I frequently volunteer, but unarmed volunteers aren't going to help much in a mass shooting scenario...just ask the families of all the Sandy Hook employees who died trying to stop the shooter. I know I would happily volunteer should schools allow legal concealed carry. All we have to do is convince the schools...


    OP did the local police provide an armed presence during the lockdown?

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Lockdowns are becoming no more rare than periodic fire drills.
    Since zero students died in school fires last year, isn't fire safety a good model to emulate? Protection in layers.

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,571
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If money grew on trees, there'd likely be much more done .
    Yep, I, for one, would be a money tree farmer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array Alex_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,084
    My wife's school (she's a teacher) had a lockdown not long after Newtown. Scary indeed.

    Glad everyone is ok.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

legal grounds to deny me access to child when school is on lockdown

Click on a term to search for related topics.