New cell/smart phone choices-advice

This is a discussion on New cell/smart phone choices-advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been an iPhone user for several years now, and currently have a 3Gs. I'm due for a discounted upgrade and have been considering several ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New cell/smart phone choices-advice

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

New cell/smart phone choices-advice

I've been an iPhone user for several years now, and currently have a 3Gs. I'm due for a discounted upgrade and have been considering several options. I don't want to pay full price for any phone, so I tend to get the newest old model when possible at a discount.

My options: wait until Apple releases the newest iPhone and get the 5 at a discount. Get the 4Gs now for free. Go for one of the Samsung offerings, Galaxy Note II or Galaxy S4.

I don't know anything about any other phones. I've grown accustom to Apple's phones and their features. However, I like the size of the Samsung offerings and there seems to be a ton of features. I fear that switching brands will cause a loss of contacts. I can't afford to lose those because of work, and I dang sure don't want to have to carry this old phone around as an address/phone book. I also don't want to have to re-enter some 400-500 names and numbers.

Any and all advice is welcome. I have time so of there is a new release coming that info could be helpful as well.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

The real difference between the droids and apple are not much. Its all about preference. That being said droid phones are highly customizable while the apple is not. If you are into tinkering with thinks you will love the droid, if not stay with what you know. My next droid will either be the Nexxus or the S4..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Your contacts should be able to move by the store where you purchase the new phone. They should have equipment to do that. However, if your contacts are not backed up on your computer you should seriously consider synching your phone and computer.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have my contacts backed up on both iCloud and the computer. I was unaware they could be transferred from one platform to the other. That's good to know.

Harry I like the ability to personalize a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I have my contacts backed up on both iCloud and the computer. I was unaware they could be transferred from one platform to the other. That's good to know.

Harry I like the ability to personalize a bit more.
    If you like to personalize then you will love the droid. I have mine set up like windows 8...With the droid, the saying " there is an app for that " is true....

S4 all day long. Apples are nice, but too much hype

S4 better than Note II?

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    S4 better than Note II?
    Different, I am sure that there are apps that will allow you to do the same things on a S4 as the note II. As for pure power, at this point in time, nothing beats the S4

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I you use iTunes extensively then the Apple is the only way to go.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

What about this one? My first phone in 1990: (BTW: cell phone and brand new Mitsubishi Eclipse and a computer got me lots of dates LOL)
    bagphone.jpg

I think that is the one.

OT: Did the OP state if he needs it for a specific purpose or for certain features? He should be more concrened about screen size, size, wieght, camera features (2 cameras for Skype). Things like that. Pretty much you can find an app for anything for each phone.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I spend lots of time on my phone doing computer stuff. Bigger screen will help. Lots of mails.

AT&T just told me I can keep my unlimited data plan even with upgrade to new phone and/or brand. Charges stay the same.

VIP Member
    I have used Droids since they first came out and love them.

In our area Verizon has a much better coverage area. My brother in law is an Iphone/AT&T guy and when he comes over he has to go upstairs and hang out a window to get reception. With Verizon I can be in the basement working and still receive calls.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I had a Iphone and now carry the Note II def like it alot better more apps to mess with and can put my own music and customize the driod Platform
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I have tried all of the big 3 out the last 6 years. Started with a Windows phone (ok but sorta buggy) Iphone4 (pretty good actually) and now I have a Galaxy3 Droid and it is nice too but also requres some restarts on occasion as it starts to run sluggish. I haven't had the droid for very long, but so far out of the 3 the iphone seemed the most reliable, but the droid has some nice bells and whistles to it that I must say I like.

Go with the 4S. Back your phone up in the Cloud if you can, and then restore your new one from the backup. If you don't have the cloud, just back it up on your computer and restore from there. You will have everything exactly how it was in under an hour, just in a newer phone.

My dad just upgraded from a 3GS to a 5 and he absolutely loves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links