Hmmm? Homeowner shot by LEO (S?), didn't drop weapon.

This is a discussion on Hmmm? Homeowner shot by LEO (S?), didn't drop weapon. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This story isn't over... 72 year old resident shot by police in his own yard. The LEOs were responding to an alarm on the other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Hmmm? Homeowner shot by LEO (S?), didn't drop weapon.

Hmmm? Homeowner shot by LEO (S?), didn't drop weapon.

This story isn't over...

72 year old resident shot by police in his own yard. The LEOs were responding to an alarm on the other side of the street...

Found this homeowner in his back/side yard, armed. Told him to drop the weapon.. He did not comply.

I feel bad for all involved... It's gonna be hard to investigate, beyond what the officers say happened...

Story here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/05...ooting-at.html

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    It could be worse.
    A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be.
    Wollard V Sheridan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    This story isn't over...

72 year old resident shot by police in his own yard. The LEOs were responding to an alarm on the other side of the street...

Found this homeowner in his back/side yard, armed. Told him to drop the weapon.. He did not comply.

I feel bad for all involved... It's gonna be hard to investigate, beyond what the officers say happened...

Story here: Fort Worth police fatally shoot armed resident outside his Woodhaven house | Crime and Saf...

Wrong forum...mods please move.

This story is still developing here locally but I will say that Fort Worth PD is about the last police department I would want to try my luck with. I'll see what is on the local news later tonight and report as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Wrong forum...mods please move.

This story is still developing here locally but I will say that Fort Worth PD is about the last police department I would want to try my luck with. I'll see what is on the local news later tonight and report as necessary.
    This is the correct forum. It does not qualify for "In the news" as it is not self defense with a firearm.

It might qualify for the Law enforcement forum, but not really.

But, do let us know what the local talking heads have to say.

It could be worse.
    A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be.
    Wollard V Sheridan

VIP Member
    I doubt the actual facts will ever be made public.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Burglary call, police were sent to the wrong house (across the street). This occurred in a normal residential area in Fort Worth, not out in the country at all.

The man who was shot lived at the house to which police were dispatched. His wife was interviewed by KXAS (NBC 5), she seems like she is not all there. Not just because she lost her husband, more like she seems a little messed up in the head in general so I'd take any quotes from her with a massive spoonful of salt. She stated that he "saw bright lights, like some yahoos, grabbed a pistol...they shot him with their Glocks 6 times"...

FWPD aren't releasing any specific details yet but it sounds like this guy did a Joe Horn and paid for it.

VIP Member
    As has been said on here before, there's right and there's DEAD right. It's never good to argue your position all the way to the grave.

The police showed up and said drop the gun...He didn't...He's dead...Nuff said.
    MJB_17, mcp1810 and archer51 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Poor guy but I'll say this. If I'm at my home and I see/hear a bunch of guys running towards my door, I'm not leaving my house. If they are police, they'll knock and we'll sort it out then, if they're BGs then they'll come through the fatal funnel and I'll have the advantage there.

Granted, maybe this man is in far more frail condition than my youngblood self, but the point remains, you never have the advantage once you step outside.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Poor guy but I'll say this. If I'm at my home and I see/hear a bunch of guys running towards my door, I'm not leaving my house. If they are police, they'll knock and we'll sort it out then, if they're BGs then they'll come through the fatal funnel and I'll have the advantage there.

Granted, maybe this man is in far more frail condition than my youngblood self, but the point remains, you never have the advantage once you step outside.
    I think this one will probably go down as a sad incident that shouldn't have happened but did and can't be taken back.

It is over, done, won't change, now evaluate what went wrong and implement changes to prevent something like this from happening again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    As has been said on here before, there's right and there's DEAD right. It's never good to argue your position all the way to the grave.

The police showed up and said drop the gun...He didn't...He's dead...Nuff said.
    Assuming what has been reported is factually accurate. Maybe it is, maybe it is not. It is going to be pretty hard to get the other side ... I hope they were wearing video.
    Last edited by ksholder; May 29th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Perhaps the poor gent was hard of hearing. Unless you suffer it you have no idea.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Perhaps the poor gent was hard of hearing. Unless you suffer it you have no idea.
    There was a case in Seattle a couple of years ago where the guy who got shot was walking away from cops and deaf. I am not sure how that one finally came out, but they did bury him.

Is it normal to have two "rookie" officers work together? Just going by the article
    The two officers, both of whom have been with the department for less than a year, were responding to a residential alarm call when, for reasons still under investigation, they ended up at the residence across the street.
    I guess they could have been LEO's somewhere else before,
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Alarm goes off across the street. Stay inside, call 911 and let the police do their job.....Oh yes, almost forgot. Live to see tomorrow.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Alarm goes off across the street. Stay inside, call 911 and let the police do their job.....Oh yes, almost forgot. Live to see tomorrow.
    Agreed.

I view this different than most I guess. Times in America are changing becoming more violent. The officers can train all they want a real exchange of lead is so different than training. When in a war the first fight you are in is not the one you are most effective at. It takes time and effort to do everything right when the go juice dumps from your brain to your nervous system.

These officers will do better next time and improve with each firing of their guns. The civillian population will suffer until they get it right. Tough job being a LEO but if you are a civillian training tool for the police it can be tougher.

I think the infusion of returning vets into enforcement will help shorten the learning curve.

Rest in peace Sir.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links