United States Patent 4239233

This is a discussion on United States Patent 4239233 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In a search to find a certain training device which allows a observer to fire a weapon that is being handled by the trainee (haven't ...

Thread: United States Patent 4239233

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

In a search to find a certain training device which allows a observer to fire a weapon that is being handled by the trainee (haven't found it yet but I'm still looking), I stumbled across this little gem.

Firearm training device
    A firearm training device comprises a combat target mounted at one end of a frame, an adjustabe inclined slide and a slingshot mechanism mounted within the frame. When the device is activated, a heavy ball is rolled down the slide. If the user hits the target with wax bullets before the ball reaches the end of the slide, it releases a trigger mechanism which blocks the further progress of the ball down the slide. If the ball reaches the bottom of the slide, prior to the bullet striking the target, the ball activates a trigger mechanism which releases the slingshot mechanism propelling a projectile such as a rubber ball at the trainee with sufficient force to effectively punish him. The device thus gives added impetus to the trainee's efforts to fire quickly and accurately.
    I don't believe negative reinforcement is effective in firearms training, but this is pretty funny.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    ''Impetus'' - haha - nice choice of word LOL!

No limit to man's ingenuity
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I don't believe negative reinforcement is effective in firearms training, but this is pretty funny.
    I guess its the next best step from Force on Force training.

One things is a fact, when someone(or in this case something) is shooting back at you, it tends to make you react differently and it completely changes your tactics.

Standing in front of a paper target only proves that you can hit a target that is standing still. In NO way does it simulate actual shooting situations.

I think the system is just trying to simulate a little stress when shooting, and thats not a bad thing.Although it may be a little primitive, anything that helps one stay alive in a shoot has got to be worth something.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I don't think its a replacement for soap rounds. FoF is the ultimate training tool that I think every department should routinely train with.

HotGuns is precisely right. Shooting a paper target proves only that you have good control. Shooting while attempting to get to cover or from behind the cover available in your living room changes things dramatically.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Y'all should check out the actual patent (you can see all patents here, most with illustrations).

Links