VERY BAD: 4-year-old accidentally shoots himself with grandfather’s gun

This is a discussion on VERY BAD: 4-year-old accidentally shoots himself with grandfather’s gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dallas police Child Abuse Unit investigating how 4-year-old accidentally shot himself with grandfather?s gun | Crime Blog Leaving a gun under a pillow is just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: VERY BAD: 4-year-old accidentally shoots himself with grandfather’s gun

Dallas police Child Abuse Unit investigating how 4-year-old accidentally shot himself with grandfather?s gun | Crime Blog

Leaving a gun under a pillow is just plain wrong. I'm glad the little boy will be ok. I hope the grandfather isn't a CHL holder.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Dallas police Child Abuse Unit investigating how 4-year-old accidentally shot himself with grandfather’s gun.
    No investigation needed, gun was improperly stored and child was unsupervised, tragedy waiting to happen.
    suntzu, ccw9mm and blitzburgh like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Accident waiting to happen. Glad it wasn't worse

Sad....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Great fodder for the antis Thank God the child will be OK Grandpa is just plain stupid

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    There are no firearm accidents, only people not following firearm's safety rules. I have yet to find an "accident", that didn't involve one of the basic firearm safety rules being broken, in most case many are broken. Just make this a reminder to us all to keep them safe, all the time, every time.
    ccw9mm and blitzburgh like this.

Who was it here that was asking whether he should get a minivault. He mentioned that he sleeps with a gun under his pillow and his wife gives him grief because of that. I hope he sees this story. It's not accidental discharge. It's negligent discharge.

Senior Moderator
    Criminally culpable negligence, IMHO. I hope charges are filed.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Maybe if the child lived with the grandfather, I would agree with everybody. But in this situation, the child was visiting. The child was left unattended. The grandfather normally probably doesn't need to worry about children in his house. Should he have locked up the gun when the kid came? Probably. But we also don't know if it was a planned visit, if they just dropped by for a moment and with little or no notice, etc. There are a lot more factors involved I think than most are considering.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Maybe if the child lived with the grandfather, I would agree with everybody. But in this situation, the child was visiting.
    So, what, you disagree that he had responsibility to secure the weapon?

It's still the responsibility of the person who's ostensibly in control of the weapon to remain in control of the weapon, of course, as we all know. Even moreso, for folks visiting who haven't been gun-proofed ... like the average 4yr old child.

Here's something I'll just never understand, with such people as this careless grandfather: One would think the threat of death of his own grandchild would be sufficient motivation to pull his finger out and do what's necessary to keep control over his firearms. Apparently not. Though, I'll bet he's gonna be thinkin' really hard now. Trouble is, is deemed to be feloniously culpable, he could well lose his firearms rights forever. (I doubt that'll happen, but it's a definite possibility whenever someone is so callous and brainless as to disregard such threats of visitors acquiring access.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Child or not, sleeping with a gun under your pillow seems like invitation for the ultimate splitting headache..... thats why our for fathers made night stands..... and dressers....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, what, you disagree that he had responsibility to secure the weapon?
    Did you bother reading the rest of my post before you replied? Here, let me help:

"Should he have locked up the gun when the kid came? Probably."

But lets consider that the grandfather's daughter dropped by last minute to see him on her way home from...wherever. The grandfather is in the living room when they arrive, and they don't leave the living room. They're all just visiting, and only plan on staying for a few minutes. The kid is in the living room with them. As they're talking, the kid wanders off, and just as the mother (who didn't notice the kid walk away because she was changing the infants diaper) begins to wonder where her kid is, they all hear a BANG.

Oh crap, Grandpa remembers his gun was under the pillow. Should he have gotten up as soon as they got there to go lock up his gun? He probably didn't think about it. The kids aren't usually there unannounced, so it's not his first thought as soon as people arrive.

We can sit here all day and say "This is just plain ridiculous because he should've had the gun locked up before the kid even got there". But we can't sit here and expect a human to not be a human. A human who does make mistakes. A human who is used to a certain way of things working (his gun under his pillow), who does not immediately consider his firearm while he's being surprised by the visit and talking to his daughter and visiting his infant grandchild.

Do we know that this was what happened? No. But we don't know that it WASN'T. For all we know the daughter and her children stopped by for quite literally five minutes so she could pick up something from her father.

Or maybe it was a planned visit, and the daughter and grandchildren had been there all day with plenty of notice.

But we don't know. We certainly don't know enough to judge the man.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Did you bother reading the rest of my post before you replied?
    Sure, I "bothered." Wasn't a bother.

But what cannot be avoided is the simple truth: he had responsibility to secure his weapons, if he was going to have anyone else come into his home. He ought to have had sufficient motivation given the fact it was his own family members coming. No, we don't know the specific circumstances, but unless they dropped down the chimney it's unlikely he got totally surprised. And even then, taking full and complete responsibility over his openly-dangerous home (with respect to loaded weaponry laid out, unsecured) should be something he'd actually take responsibility for ... no matter what "details" existed.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sure, I "bothered." Wasn't a bother.

But what cannot be avoided is the simple truth: he had responsibility to secure his weapons, if he was going to have anyone else come into his home. He ought to have had sufficient motivation given the fact it was his own family members coming. No, we don't know the specific circumstances, but unless they dropped down the chimney it's unlikely he got totally surprised. And even then, taking full and complete responsibility over his openly-dangerous home (with respect to loaded weaponry laid out, unsecured) should be something he'd actually take responsibility for ... no matter what "details" existed.
    And maybe the mother ought to be held responsible for not watching her child and making sure he didn't just wander anywhere he wanted to? You'd think that when visiting someone else's home you'd actually take responsibility for watching your child in a home that is more than likely NOT child proof. Not matter what details existed.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

I'm going to have to agree with ccw9mm here.

My parent's live alone but when my sister or I drop by unannounced with our kids (rarely happens, 95% of the time it's pre-planned), the first thing my dad does is say "HOLD ON, WAIT ON THE PORCH FOR A MINUTE" (every time) which translates to: Give me a minute to put my HD gun up and secure it.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links