Looking for a dog..need some help

This is a discussion on Looking for a dog..need some help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So i am moving into my own place next week and i am looking for a pooch. I cant have huskies, pit bulls dobies, germans ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Looking for a dog..need some help

So i am moving into my own place next week and i am looking for a pooch. I cant have huskies, pit bulls dobies, germans sheps, akitas, chows, danes, rotties, or anything else considered "agressive". I would like something in the 40-60 lb range that doesnt shed, is good with kids, easily trained, protective, and can fetch me beer from the fridge ....... lets have some suggestions :D

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Take my ex wife..........

Please!
    onacoma, fredg53, Taurahe and 3 others like this.

Administrator
    Forget the "Doesn't shed" They all do, I don't care what anybody says. There are some that shed a lot less than others though. Now, here is my suggestion that fits all of your requirements as much as possible.

Don't laugh... A standard poodle. Just don't give them a queer haircut, and they are actually a good looking dog, very smart and can be very protective.

Closely related is the Giant Schnauzer or Doberman, but both can be a little larger than your request and shed a bit more.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Boxer!!
    Taurahe, DJC7 and chief8991 like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Forget the "Doesn't shed" They all do, I don't care what anybody says. There are some that shed a lot less than others though. Now, here is my suggestion that fits all of your requirements as much as possible. A standard poodle. Just don't give them a queer haircut, and they are actually a good looking dog, very smart and can be very protective.
    Standard poodle is an excellent suggestion. I would just add that I see a few of them in my veterinary practice that exceed 60 lbs. Border Collies would fit as well, and help "herd" the kids. Don't forget about a mixed breed dog, tons of great Lab and G Retriever mixes out there that would fit your parameters. I think my dog is awesome, but you'd need ten of them to get to 40 lbs......she's a Chihuahua!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^ That! It will probably bring you an empty though.
    emawildcat likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Got the best one called a havanese they get about 15 to 20 lbs great with kids ours has never peed in the house not even once hypoallergenic no dander no shed mine is blck an white can lay on you gets up no hair great watch dog but not aggressive hardly barks, they are a cross between a poodle an portugese waterdog kids cant hurt them very hardy but will never bite check them out

go down to your local animal shelter and pick one out that you like.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Boxer read there profile we have one she's great and smart

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Anatolian Shepherd, bigger than you listed but great dogs. Can take huge amounts of abuse from the kids, but very good with them. Very protective, as in this dog will bite if they think they kids are being threatened.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Blue HEELER youtube blue heeler - Bing Videos the only problems you'll have is the first year and a half they love to chew everything leather...shoes my fetches, knows the difference between ball, Frisbee, they respond well to voice and hand commands, very protective hasn't had a accident in the house since he was trained (took about a week) two and a half now, must be played with to burn off energy everyday, plays with our cat chases all others, walks without leach,,, cant beat emm058.jpg
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    +1 on the animal shelter you can find one just about any size you want

VIP Member
    I second the Standard Poodle! They are scary smart, lovable, athletic, very good with children and don't shed hair like other dogs. They do shed puff balls every now and then but you just pick it up and throw it out. We had a Standard that lived till she was 14. We kept her in a "puppy cut" that was basically one length all over. The fancy Poodle cut costs a fortune at the groomer, puppy cuts aren't as expensive and look better IMO.

I also love Boxers but I've never had one.

I have a Boston Terrier that I adore. He's smart, strong and great with kids. He's only 28 pounds though and that's big for a BT.
    They're little dogs in a compact "big dog" package.

Check Petfinder.com you can find almost anything you want there.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Well, the Goldendoodle fits most of those. They are basically a mix of all the good parts of a Golden Retriever and a Poodle. They aren't going to be protective, but they don't shed much, are excellent with people/kids, and very intelligent/trainable.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Airedale Terrier, Welsh Terrier, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Standard Schnauzer, Canaan Dog, Boston Terrier are a few that come to mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links