Lasik/ Vision Correction Surgery

This is a discussion on Lasik/ Vision Correction Surgery within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone had any experience with corrective surgery for poor vision. I am seriously considering this procedure, and would like to know all that I can. ...

Thread: Lasik/ Vision Correction Surgery

Lasik/ Vision Correction Surgery

Anyone had any experience with corrective surgery for poor vision. I am seriously considering this procedure, and would like to know all that I can. I've been wearing glasses since I was about five years old (am now 23), and cannot remember waking up and being able to see, ever. So i think this is something I want to do. Any experiences you guys have, especially the negatives ones, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!!!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

2. Remove Ads

I've had the radial keratotomy (1984) and the lasik (2001). It's money well spent. Just make sure you find the best surgeon in your area and don't make the surgeon decision based on cost alone. I now have to wear reading glasses, but it's due to age and my astigmatism has grown a little worse.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

My brother had it a few years ago. He was blind as a bat one day, then better than 20/20 within hours after the surgery. No problems since.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

My son had it at age 28. Poor guy has had lousy vision lifelong. He is happy with the results but reports losing a little night vision. He was told he might need glasses or further procedures later in life. I made sure he did his research and chose the most experienced doctor with the best track record, NOT the cheapest!

On another note I used to talk with a lady who did the office work for a Lasik clinic. She wore glasses. I asked her why. She said that while the vast majority of procedures went well there was a about a 5% rate of procedures that had complications. They were everything from a minor annoyance like halos around lights at night to severe vision degradation and uncorrectable and permanent. She said she was no gambler and elected to keep her glasses.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Interview the Opthamologist and determine he does them based on your needs and your eyes (not his equipment), has an excellent track record, does enough procedures a year that he is "expert", but not so many he's like the "Wal-Mart" of Lasik, ask how many years he's done the procedure, and never allow brand new equipment to be used - you want him to be very experienced with his specific equipment he'll use on you. Bad outcomes can include "halos" or severe "flares" around lights at night, as well as others mentioned. Good luck!

Those are some of the questions I used with my Opthamologist before cataract surgery. I had seen him minimum annually for several years, and new him pretty well even before the procedure.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    The advice I was given by the son of an respected opthamologist was to wait till my late 30's/early 40's as your cornea's will begin to flatten out a bit, and cause your vison to shift somewhat from near to farsighted. If you wait till that happens, you won't be as likely to end up needing reading glasses.

Had Lasik done about 5 years ago. Vision is now 20/15 in right eye and 20/20 in left. Night vision is fine, but you'll find that lights have a little bit of a star pattern in them, but it doesn't affect anything.

It's nice to wake up in the middle of the night and be able to read the clock. I'm with the other posters, though, find the best doctor. The one I went with was probably the most expensive in the city. Don't skimp on Lasik.

M2
    PRK five years ago, went from 20/400 to 20/15 and have stayed that good since, and I am 43.

Cheers! M2

Administrator
    Just make sure you get your non dominant eye done first.

My personal opinion...if possible I'd wait a few more years unless your vision is so bad that you feel like you absolutely have to have it done.

They get better at it every year.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Had mine done in January at age 38, at LasikPlus. The office had just opened locally. Had PRK done because my eyes were too thin for lasik. First week was not good, felt like I had done something regretable. But after that, great. Currently 20/30. Get the lifetime plan if it is offered. Free touchups as your vision degrades. Procedure was tolerable, and this from someone who goes to fighting when somebody tries to touch my eyes.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'm with Alan on this one. I had PRK done at a LasikPlus in NJ in May. I love it. I was 20/15 within a few weeks (after the inflamation from the healing was done) and have no problems now. Every once in a while, when it's extremely late, and been a really long day, head lights bother me a little bit on the highway, but nothing worse then what it used to when I wore regular glasses.

BTW...I'm 22, have worn glasses since I was in second grade, and I absolutely love not needing them. Waking up in the middle of the night and being able to read the clock is great, and so is not having that extra step when I wake up suddenly for an EMS run.

The surgeon told me I might need further proceedures down the road, but I have life time guarantee, they'll fix it at no cost to me, and by the time my eyes start to go down hill again, they'll probably be able to fix it permanently.

I never want to go back.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Since you asked for negative experiences, I will share mine. Like you, I have worn glasses forever, or at least since I started school. I had thought about LASIK for several years, but was always outside the limits of correctable astigmatism, so I waited.

In my 40's, I reached the point where my vision could no longer be corrected to 20/20 with glasses, due to the combination of astigmatism and nearsightedness. So I looked into LASIK again. And I found out that, if one doctor tells you that you are outside the limits, it probably isn't a good idea to shop around until you find one that tells you what you want to hear!

I had my first LASIK procedure this year in Feb. The procedure itself, while certainly not pleasant, was not painful. That came later, with the swelling of my eyeballs.

They told me I would be able to see the clock on the wall immediately after surgery. I couldn't even see the wall. They said I would be able to drive myself back the next morning, to have the post surgery contacts removed. The next day, I could not have driven if my life depended on it. I was not able to see anything more than 18 inches in front of me.

I went from 20/200, correctable with glasses to 20/40, to uncorrectable 20/100, due to the swelling from the procedure. After a week, I was fitted with contacts, and I was more or less functional. My vision changed constantly and I got a new prescription for contacts every Monday. Yes, every week.

My second LASIK procedure was in May. It wasn't quite as bad as the first, and I did get some improvement in my vision. I was able to go back to work on Monday after surgery on Friday. Again, fitted with contacts after a week, with a new prescription every week until it stabilized after a couple of months.

Now, it's November, 10 months after my first surgery. I still have problems with dry eyes. I use the eye drops about 10 times a day. I still wear one contact lens. I cannot drive after dark without glasses and I cannot read in low light at all. I will never be able to see things the way I did before, as LASIK causes you to perceive light differently than you did before. I can't really explain the difference. It's not halos or starbursts, just different.

I saw my ophthalmalogist last week, and he said it was time for me to schedule a third procedure. I can't do this again. I ordered glasses.

I know that my experience is not the norm. But you need to know what can happen. There are no guarantees with LASIK. If they tell you "20/20 or it's free" that's great. But guess what? You might get your money back, but you still have to live with the fact that you can't see anymore!

Think about it carefully. Do your research. I used a doctor with an excellent reputation and a good track record. It just didn't work out well for me. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. I had a consultation yesterday in Houston at the Berkley Eye Center. It was very positive. The surgery normally costs about 2200 per eye, but since I am a teacher they give me a discount to 1700 per eye. I have read a lot of articles, sites, studies, and think I am well informed. Enough so, that I think I'll be having the surgery on the 7th of December. I was told I was well within the parameters for getting the surgery, and I should have very good results. I'll be making another appointment soon, and I will keep you all posted as to my progress.

GIU

My girl got it. Her vision was bad couldn't see clearly 2 feet in front of her. after the surgery she had 20/30 vision and about a month later she had 20/15 its been 2 years now and her vision is still 20/15. My cousin got it done and his vision now is also 20/15. I'm a now believer in this type of surgery. If for one day I ever need glasses I will jump on this without any question. Money well spent.

Note: She also had dry eye problems, which was corrected by plugging one tear duct in each eye. You have four total, so 2 were plugged. It's not permanent it can be removed in a sec if needed.

There's also a new procedure call Intra-Lace, I heard it doesn't cut your eye. Maybe look into that.

The surgery I will be getting is custom interlase surgery. No blades at all

Links