NY Times Editorial on Obama's use of Executive Powers

This is a discussion on NY Times Editorial on Obama's use of Executive Powers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "The administration has now lost all credibility on this issue. Mr. Obama is proving the truism that the executive branch will use any power it ...

Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cn262
  • 1 Post By ksholder
  • 1 Post By cn262
  • 1 Post By maxwell97

Thread: NY Times Editorial on Obama's use of Executive Powers

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array cn262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    703

    NY Times Editorial on Obama's use of Executive Powers

    "The administration has now lost all credibility on this issue. Mr. Obama is proving the truism that the executive branch will use any power it is given and very likely abuse it."

    People on all sides are seeing what the current administration is capable and willing to do to it's own people, disregarding Constitutional protection in the name of security and protection. Dianne Feinstein is in the middle of things, stating that this is not only good but important. I wonder if these same people who are outraged now will make a correlation of this abuse of Executive Orders with 2A abuses earlier this year.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/op...s-dragnet.html

    If nothing else this new scandal is demonstrating that you can't trust what you are being told by the current administration - think about recent Congressional testimony by James Clapper where he outright stated that this type of personal information was not being collected. Makes you wonder about his other statements, and his relationship with Eric Holder.

    James Clapper - POLITICO.com

    Interesting times...
    Jeanlouise likes this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,885
    Wow, when the press desert the sinking ship, they do it in a hurry and in a big way. My real concern is why it took the Guardian to blow the top off this and not some US media outlet. Makes one wonder.
    phreddy likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,128
    It's getting interesting now that the light bulb has gone off in the media's head. Too bad it didn't go off before Nov. 2012, but if we can possibly get rid of this cancer on our country before the next election (in 3 1/2 long years)...I'm happy.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,709
    The media will drop this soon, just acting like they are "objective".
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

    There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

    Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It's getting interesting now that the light bulb has gone off in the media's head. Too bad it didn't go off before Nov. 2012, but if we can possibly get rid of this cancer on our country before the next election (in 3 1/2 long years)...I'm happy.
    Remember, as with Clinton, the House can impeach, but only the Senate can remove from office. Do you think the current Senate would remove him? However, if events keep going, and with the addition of a massive recession in the works, we can expect some electoral shake ups in 2014.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Do you think the current Senate would remove him?
    No way!

    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    However, if events keep going, and with the addition of a massive recession in the works, we can expect some electoral shake ups in 2014.
    One can only hope. And vote.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ghost Ridge USA
    Posts
    1,594
    The true key IMO is Americans can best be served buy taking out the trash and really find out who is trying to get in to office to be self serving and not working for the people. 2014 vote coming up hopefully we can really make difference this time, remember the slogan change well I wonder how those that voted for change liked getting short changed.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array cn262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Wow, when the press desert the sinking ship, they do it in a hurry and in a big way. My real concern is why it took the Guardian to blow the top off this and not some US media outlet. Makes one wonder.
    Fear of reprisal is my bet. Start taking away the 1A rights of the media and they begin to censor themselves to avoid being targeted. As an aside, that type of statement would have seemed completely paranoid to me a year ago, but with what we've seen over the past six months nothing would surprise me anymore.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

  10. #9
    Ex Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,960
    The current administration is abusing this power, but lets not forget that the prior administration started it. If we are going to blame one, we have to blame the other. Both are rotten to the core....

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array cn262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The current administration is abusing this power, but lets not forget that the prior administration started it. If we are going to blame one, we have to blame the other. Both are rotten to the core....
    With the Bush Administration there was a knee-jerk reaction out of fear. I'm sure that some (like Dick Cheney) viewed this as an opportunity to build-in useful tools. There was a lot of debate about abuse of the new powers, and concerns about it as well. Anytime something has a name that would make you ashamed not to support (e.g., "Patriot Act," or "Gun Safety Act") you have to wonder about the motivation of the people promoting it.

    Having said that, the new administration has taken things to an entirely new level. Personally, I feel that Eric Holder is behind a lot of this, but it would only be allowed to happen if he had the support of his boss. So, it's not so much about blame as it is about accountability and doing what's best for America within the constructs of the Constitution.

  12. #11
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The current administration is abusing this power, but lets not forget that the prior administration started it. If we are going to blame one, we have to blame the other. Both are rotten to the core....
    It is not like either O or B were first to think up ways to abuse the constitution and the peoples' rights. Started at least as far back as Marshall, possibly further back. The common thread is that it seems to be most prevalent with people who believe a bigger federal government is a better federal government.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  13. #12
    Ex Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    With the Bush Administration there was a knee-jerk reaction out of fear. I'm sure that some (like Dick Cheney) viewed this as an opportunity to build-in useful tools. There was a lot of debate about abuse of the new powers, and concerns about it as well. Anytime something has a name that would make you ashamed not to support (e.g., "Patriot Act," or "Gun Safety Act") you have to wonder about the motivation of the people promoting it.

    Having said that, the new administration has taken things to an entirely new level. Personally, I feel that Eric Holder is behind a lot of this, but it would only be allowed to happen if he had the support of his boss. So, it's not so much about blame as it is about accountability and doing what's best for America within the constructs of the Constitution.
    It was a power grab with an accuse. A black heart is a black heart whether it be a donkey or an elephant...

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,022
    The only reason the NY Times cares is because the administration went after journalists. Take over health care, banks, auto companies, sic the IRS on the opposition, drone strikes on citizens - who cares? WE LOVE IT! Wait, you went after a JOURNALIST?!? One of our own? HE'S LOST ALL CREDIBILITY! HE'S A MONSTER!
    NONAME762 likes this.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •