It's Friday, this is off topic, and it's just in fun ...

This is a discussion on It's Friday, this is off topic, and it's just in fun ... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Call me crazy -- you wouldn't be the first -- but just what purpose does the airplane in the two pictures serve? The pics are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: It's Friday, this is off topic, and it's just in fun ...

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

It's Friday, this is off topic, and it's just in fun ...

Call me crazy -- you wouldn't be the first -- but just what purpose does the airplane in the two pictures serve?

The pics are Google satellite views of a 40 acre estate in Las Vegas. The address is: 6629 S PECOS ROAD, LAS VEGAS, NV, 89120, you can stick that into Google maps and then switch to satellite view, and with that you can zoom in and out to see the surrounding area.

But just out of curiosity: Why this airplane here? How do you get the airplane to the airport so you can actually use the airplane?

Why would someone do this, other than the fact that they can?

stranded_plane.jpgstranded_plane2.jpg

If you're the celebrity in question, and you have this much money, couldn't you do a little more than park an airplane on your property with it?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure but that may be John Travolta. I think he's known for keeping a plane (or planes) on his property.

No sir, not Mr Travolta .... but I have observed Travolta landing his plane on his estate in Marion County, here in Florida.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Maybe it's someones man/woman cave

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    The closest airport from that residence is 2.9 miles.

Sounds like a fun 2.9 miles on the freeway!
    bigmacque and pittypat21 like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

That's kind of what I was thinking .... how do you get this thing to a runway so you can actually use it?

The house was Wayne Newton's up until a few weeks ago.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Maybe it's a museum piece, like Elvis' plane here at Graceland.
    phreddy likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    It may be an “air park” type of subdivision, when I was stationed at Travis I had a supervisor that lived in one. The streets were wide enough most single engine and some small twins used them as runways.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Maybe they're saving money to finance the runway.

That's what I'm doing. I've given up my daily starbucks in hopes of flying out of Kentucky in 2065!
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Maybe it is the biggest Monogram model ever made.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Administrator
    The airport is just a few blocks away. Either its for some sort of training, a park or some aviation enthusiast wants it as a yard decoration. Maybe some aviation related vendor has it as a display piece.

Edit
    OK, I used my investigation skills (AKA Google); That aircraft was sold for scrap recently. Its a Fokker F28, and it was once owned by Wayne Newton's leasing company, Desert Eagle. Interestingly enough, Mr. Newton is the one who bought the aircraft as scrap, and it is now sitting on his estate. It was abandoned in Detroit for several years, because Mr. Newton could no longer afford to operate the airplane. He owed over 60k in storage fees etc. For what reason, I don't know, but he paid the liens, had the airplane dismantled and shipped to his estate in Las Vegas where it is now a lawn decoration. But the way it is sitting there on pylons tells me he has no intention of flying the airplane again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    The registry is N500WN... It's Wayne Newton's estate and the Fokker F-28 is his private jet that he keeps as a lawn ornament because he can't really afford to rehab/fly it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    That's in such a tight place that I can't imagine it's ever moved. I wonder if it was airlifted into the spot by helicopter? Not sure that's possible. Maybe a crane and BIG truck?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's in such a tight place that I can't imagine it's ever moved. I wonder if it was airlifted into the spot by helicopter? Not sure that's possible. Maybe a crane and BIG truck?
    Wayne had it disassembled, moved to Casa de Shenandoah and reassembled where it is now.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

It was obvious it was not meant to be flown again, but I could come up with a lot of nicer lawn ornaments for the money it cost to do that.

Just struck me as funny is all, there was obviously no way it was getting out of there. They did a grand job on the interior though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links