Are you old enough

This is a discussion on Are you old enough within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Are you old enough to remember what it was like to be free,and be able to have a private life? Do you have examples you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Are you old enough

Are you old enough

Are you old enough to remember what it was like to be free,and be able to have a private life? Do you have examples you would like to share? I was thinking,some things don't worry my children or grand children like they do me. Because they are not old enough to know any better. Already freedoms are lost and they don't even know it.
    ThePatriot1776 and hek1620 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I remember growing up in what is now a very rough neighborhood in Houston (Westbury) and always leaving our doors unlocked. My parents never lost their keys because they left them in the ignition in the driveway all the time.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Mail order guns pre-date me by only a few years but I recall drooling over them in the "American Rifleman" magazine ads and dreaming of future acquisitions.

GCA '68 squashed any notions I had.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I remember being 12 or 13 and walking down my street with a 22 slung over my shoulder to get to the woods at the end of the street and nobody cared or said a word I was just a kid going to do some target practice. BTW I am 45

I remember sleeping in the front yard all night with a friend. We were playing camping and our parents were not concerned about us, they knew we were safe. We carried BB guns all the time and no one said a thing about it. I used to carry a pocket knife to school every day.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Rifles and shotguns displayed in the rear windows of the pickups driven to the high school by students.

Gun racks in pickup rear windows were still a fairly new accessory item in the days long before the advent of the extended cab, and it quickly became popular to keep a couple of long guns handy for "display." We'd go out into the school parking lot to admire each other's guns before and after school and during lunch. Well, I didn't as I drove the family old family Dodge station wagon to high school on those days I didn't ride the bus. The inevitable fights were occasionally held in the parking lot too with no lasting damage done. Lots of guns present at a rural high school in the early 1970s and no one ran amok.

I think long gun thefts from pickups rendered the rear window gun rack unpopular long before any restrictions against their appearance in a school parking lot did. Besides which, the racks were uncomfortable to deal with with one's head always bumping either the rack or the gun in it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I remember how profitable our family business used to be, before the federal government regulated the life out of it.

VIP Member
    I remember when prayer did not have to be agnostic.
    msgt/ret and elmacgyver0 like this.

I remember when my brother and I could go play with neighborhood friends, wherever we wanted until bedtime and my parents didn't have to think twice. I'm only 31. Now, I would unfortunately be terrified to let my daughter do that when she's old enough.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member
    I remember...

... city water without chemicals.
    ... never locking the doors.
    ... being able to have a phone conversation without it being logged and scrutinized by the Government.
    ... having confidence in the news on TV and in the papers.
    ... the Constitution was important to our government.
    pignut, msgt/ret and elmacgyver0 like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Things keep getting worse, I guess. I fondly remember the days when a box cutter in a high schooler's car didn't get him suspended.

No.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I remember how profitable our family business used to be, before the federal government regulated the life out of it.
    This is so true , Trucks that go out of state , roadside inspections , trucking fines for stupid things . And all the fees , CDL , extra insurance for the people waiting to find a small reason to sue. It never ends
    msgt/ret, sixgun and Jeanlouise like this.

I grew up in Northern New Mexico in the 1950s. During the summer after breakfast, I would take a lunch, some water, my dog, and my BB gun and go exploring. I would be back at sundown for dinner. I was sixteen when I bought a British .303 Enfield and some ammo from the Sears Christmas catalog. The mailman delivered it to our front porch. There was no television where we lived, so we listened to the AM radio or read at night.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I remember saying the pledge of allegiance in school.

Like one other poster said when I grew up we never locked our doors. As a matter of fact I don't even know if we had keys to the front door. Now I live 6 miles from where I grew up and I have an alarm system in the house and lock the doors everytime we go any place.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links