now who's crazy?

This is a discussion on now who's crazy? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; i'd love to show this to almost everyone i know. they all think i'm nuts. i'll admit, they probably sleep better. "dude, they can't do ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: now who's crazy?

now who's crazy?

i'd love to show this to almost everyone i know. they all think i'm nuts. i'll admit, they probably sleep better. "dude, they can't do that it's illegal." or "why do you think the government isn't to be trusted?". my wife and i got/get a lot of crap looks and stupid questions when people find out we don't use social media stuff like fb and whatever else is out there.

U.S., British intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program - The Washington Post
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah I left CIA book a while ago. People do not either believe that this is turning into a differnt country or can't see that it is turning into one. And nobody seems to care. Just give them American Idol, dancing with the stars and some easy access to a food/beer store and why worry. I think the definition of terrorist is changing to the white american christian. We are in trouble if we don't steer this ship right.
    dean1818 and gulfstream like this.

This level of data collection capability is nothing new. It has been around for decades. Only the electronics has changed to make it a bit easier. By not belonging to FB, Twitter, or any other social website doesn't lessen one's capability of being "looked at". You can run google maps and see your house and check any one of numerous websites to learn almost anything about each other. If you're alive an honest about your name, you're can be found and monitored.

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    Yeah I left CIA book a while ago. People do not either believe that this is turning into a differnt country or can't see that it is turning into one. And nobody seems to care. Just give them American Idol, dancing with the stars and some easy access to a food/beer store and why worry. I think the definition of terrorist is changing to the white american christian. We are in trouble if we don't steer this ship right.
    Wow.
    Darrow75 and rammerjammer like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Now you know everyone will tell you that your tin foil hat is to tight.
    With Obama and Holder running the show no one will trap your calls record your private internet information or take your guns That was Bush.
    Now go back to sleep all is well with Obama in charge.
    elmacgyver0 and Jeanlouise like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    This level of data collection capability is nothing new. It has been around for decades. Only the electronics has changed to make it a bit easier. By not belonging to FB, Twitter, or any other social website doesn't lessen one's capability of being "looked at". You can run google maps and see your house and check any one of numerous websites to learn almost anything about each other. If you're alive an honest about your name, you're can be found and monitored.
    Absolutely true, and from public databases. Let's see, I can click on a map and then go to my county's property tax
    records and get a darn good idea of the cost of the house and the income range of its occupants. I can learn who the
    occupants are. From there I can go to any of many web sites to learn if they are married, when, where, what year, divorced,
    have ever been in jail.

And except for the property tax record, everything else is available not from government but from PRIVATE businesses.

Someone I know had a boy-friend who seemed "off" to me. It didn't take long at all to learn that he had been married before,
    to whom, where his mother was buried, when she died. And I never paid a dime to any company for any of that information.
    In fact, I started out with nothing more than his sister in-law's name.

Its all out there, and most of us have ready access to it whether we realize it or not. Your phone number-- never mind if once upon a time it was unlisted. If you ever gave it out to anyone in the business world it can be determined.

I and everyone else can find posts I've made 20 years ago, some I'd rather were not in public for perpetuity.

Then, there are data thieves. Not government, but businesses that somehow manage to gain access to and sell your contact lists. Or your friend's contact lists.

It is easy to blame government and government isn't blameless, but mostly we have done this to ourselves by embracing
    the web as a friend, as all who participate here on DC do.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

What is changing is what they are doing with it. In the case of this administration any think they want.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    If you're alive an honest about your name, you're can be found and monitored.
    If they're monitoring me, they will be very bored in no time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If they're monitoring me, they will be very bored in no time.
    I know I am...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I'll save them the time and hassle. I spend 99.99% of my time online with antique cars, golf, and guns. That's pretty extreme stuff.
    darbo and tony1990 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I know I am...
    Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Ouch
    He knows I "like" just about everything he says.
    Clint Eastwood

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    You can add "Veteran" to that list of terrorists. After all - we're trained in (((gulp))) firearms. So if you're a white Christian veteran you VILL be watched, mein herren.

Data is so much easier to obtain these days & computers are getting smarter each week. I can remember my days as a private detective & all the sifting through records, phone books, talking to people who don't necessarily want to be asked any questions about their dear neighbor & now a couple of keystrokes get you that & more.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I know I am...
    Let's begin a boring contest. Ready... Set... Go...

*yawn*
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I don`t do face book or twitter, or any of the other social media sites. Im not looking for any friends, and I don`t care what others think of me. This confuses the hell out of a lot of people. My personal business is just that - personal.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links