Someone asked me how to make Potassium Chlorate. What is it used for?

This is a discussion on Someone asked me how to make Potassium Chlorate. What is it used for? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A little background info here. Tonight I was approached by someone (a relative of a friend,) who asked me to look up something for him ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone asked me how to make Potassium Chlorate. What is it used for?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

A little background info here. Tonight I was approached by someone (a relative of a friend,) who asked me to look up something for him on the web. He wanted to know how to extract potassium chlorate.
    The question, struck me as odd. The man has been an alcoholic pretty much his whole life. Fortunately thus far he has been relatively harmless, he usually sobers up for a few months and then will drink him self half to death for a while, in a constant cycle. To the best of my knowledge he has never demonstrated the first violent tendency.(if he had, I wouldn't let him get close enough to ask the question) Tonight’s question has me wondering if he or someone he knows is moving on to something worse. Making meth for example.

I don’t know what it’s made of, nor how it is produced, nor do I want to know. I would however like to know if the info he asked for could be used in drugs. If not, what the heck IS it used for?

If it is something innocent, then I don't mind doing the research, but I definately don't want to help anyone do something illegal.
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; November 19th, 2006 at 09:46 PM.

Administrator
    Well it's listed on the explosives and weapons forum as a strong oxidizer used in making matches, fireworks, and explosives; also used as a disinfectant.
    I'm sure that it has many other legitimate uses but, I would go with your gut feeling & just tell the guy you lost your Internet connection & "Sorry!" ya can't look it up for him.
    He's an adult ~ let him go to the library...get a doggone chemistry book off the shelf & look it up himself.
    You're not obligated to a relative of a friend to do anything you don't want to do or anything that don't feel totally comfortable with doing.
    Obviously...your good common sense is already telling you something.
    Listen to your inner voice.
    You might feel bad about telling a little white lie but that's not nearly as bad as you'll feel if you give the guy specific information on how to make a big BOOM!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Here's a link to an article. Potassium Chlorate

It appears it can be used for several things, but the one that stood out as I read the article is: explosives.

After you read the article you might want to ask him exactly what he wants to use it for. Regardless of the answer I don't think I would be telling him how to make it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    One of the hardest things I ever learned to do was just say "NO" to somebody.
    If the guy is not family & he ain't putting food on your table & you don't want to do it...it's simple....just don't do it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

pax
    Meth?

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Administrator
    no, not meth....

In large quantity it can be a powerful explosive, its also used to color fireworks. I have a pharmacist pal that uses it to make campfires change color- very neat.

It can be used as a cleaning agent; its a great disinfectant.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Tis a very strong and unstable oxidizer used in fireworks production mostly replaced by the perchlorate form which is much more stable.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Thanks, for the info, it makes a little more sense now.

I'll bet he has in mind making some kind of fireworks. I do recall him acting like a big kid, last year on the 4th of july.

Needless to say, I am glad to find out it has nothing to do with drugs.
    Even I won't be getting the info for him.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    goodsamaritan , i think that is a good call on your part , Alcohol use and explosives are a bad mix in anyones book.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    As much as I hate to say it, a call to BATFE might not be out of the question. Maybe he's dangerous, maybe he knows you're a gun nut and is trying to set you up...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    Why do I get this vision in my mind of a guy on an alcoholic binge stumbling around his basement in a stupor...with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth while attempting to assemble his own fireworks?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    lol qk You too ?? that was my first thought also .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator

Cool

Concerning Alcoholics And Brilliant Ideas.

One time I was working outside with this one guy who kept a bottle in his car.
    Lunchtime...I sat down and had a sandwich & a Coke...He obviously went to his car and had a heavy "liquid lunch" because he was fine in the morning but, he came back completely crocked.
    It was a Bright Sunny Day & he lit this propane torch and because the sun was shining so bright he could not see the flame in the bright sunlight.
    So he turned the torch around to look at it and burned his eyebrows & eyelashes off and damaged his left eyelid.
    I told him... "I think it's lit."

Makes a crude explosive, low detonation speed, low over pressure, can make a very rudimentary composite of potassium chlorate and parafin. Sounds bad for whatever reason the person is asking. Easier to make Kinepak or ANFO. A friend from college ran a powder company and used to make ANFO in 5lb sacks, all perfectly legal, he had all the paperwork etcetera...

MD

You know there are INTERNET sites that will lead you to places on how to make your own fireworks and you can buy chemicals there as well, it is no big deal just google it.
    However if they make anything that is considered illegal they will be subject to criminal prosecution, not very smart.
    It is a whole lot easer to simply apply for a Class B explosives license from the BATF and then buy any fireworks they may want legally.
    Production of fireworks is very dangerous and should never be undertaken by an pyro-tech wannabe a lot of people have blown off various body parts trying these stunts.
    I would suggest instead that there are several good books written by professionals in the field of fireworks design, these guys are Chemists with a PHD and they still have mishaps, steer him to some of these instead most of these guys devote the first chapter at scaring the living heck out of you enough to discourage any experimentation.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links