More good stuff to watch: Battle of Algiers

This is a discussion on More good stuff to watch: Battle of Algiers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For those that have not seen it, The Battle of Algiers is on HULU. I thought it was an excellent movie. We saw it several ...

For those that have not seen it, The Battle of Algiers is on HULU. I thought it was an excellent movie. We saw it several times to learn about how guerrila fighters think and how they can overcome a mighteir force. Excellent movie.

The Battle of Algiers (La bataille d’Alger) vividly re-creates a key year in the tumultuous Algerian struggle for independence from the occupying French in the 1950s. As violence escalates on both sides, children shoot soldiers at point-blank range, women plant bombs in cafés, and French soldiers resort to torture to break the will of the insurgents. Shot in the streets of Algiers in documentary style, the film is a case study in modern warfare, with its terrorist attacks and the brutal techniques used to combat them. The Criterion Collection is proud to present Gillo Pontecorvo’s tour de force—a film with astonishing relevance today.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    It is always good to learn from history! So many times we repeat the same event with the same outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Links