Teen Cannot Wear Marine Uniform To Graduation

This is a discussion on Teen Cannot Wear Marine Uniform To Graduation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting: NH High School Says Teen Cannot Wear Marine Uniform To Graduation « CBS Boston...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Teen Cannot Wear Marine Uniform To Graduation

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Bastages
    Badey and cn262 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

That school district's decision-making administrators should all be asked to give the Commencement Address... at T.C.H.S. (Tehran Central High School)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Basic rule of military excellence: if you show up where you're told, when you're told, wearing what you're told, and do what you're told, you'll be a standout performer.

Wear the appropriate uniform for the appropriate ceremony. Another option - wear your dress blues underneath and shed the gown afterwards, or do a superman.

If I were the school admin, I'd be all for servicemembers wearing the unit, but that's not what they decided. Another basic rule of military excellence: the civilians are in charge.

BTW USMC backed the school and the kid wore a cap and gown last weekend.
    suntzu likes this.

I look at this way. He wore his uniform for graduation/completion of basic training. The cap and gown is the uniform for academic graduation.
    I say wear it under the gown and take it off (if allowed by USMC rules)...I am sure he will still be a hit at the graduation.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    While I do appreciate his commitment I don't see why he'd be any different if all students are required to wear cap and gown.
    suntzu likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Thats not right

If it were me and the school said no then I would collect my paperwork in private and be on my way. Becoming a marine is something to be proud of and I don't blame the kid for wanting to show off his uniform.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    One of the first things you learn in the military is the proper attire for the event. If they say "x" is the uniform of the day, you don't complain because you wanted to wear your dress uniform today. You wear what you are told and solider on.

Ok I am really pissed and I am getting off a letter which we will state why give any grades and why have different class and different teachers if the want everyone to come from a cookie cutter. I would think that a school would be filled with pride that one of there own reached such heights with hard work and may go one to be a leader but then on the other hand I would have a second location for a second graduation ceremony for those who would like to honor this young man for his hard work. If I had the resources I would present it to him and be proud to do so SEMPER FI
    Jeanlouise likes this.

They're claiming the "unity" of the group ceremony is what they want to maintain, realizing they'd have a problem with "drawing the line" on other requests.

On the face of it, it does seem a little disrespectful. But then, imagine if every Eagle Scout, 4H achiever, or whomever, decided to dress differently. Not that I'd have a problem with any of them doing so, myself, but I'd think this is what the folks determining the dress code are thinking of. I don't see this as an outright singling-out or disrespecting of the military services as such.

Fact is, though, as we all know, folks wear any number of things underneath the basic cap and gown (including practically nothing). He can do the same, choosing to wear his full-dress uniform underneath. And the moment he's off the stage and "his own person" then he can doff the gown and display his "colors."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I would think that a school would be filled with pride that one of there own reached such heights with hard work and may go one to be a leader but then on the other hand I would have a second location for a second graduation ceremony for those who would like to honor this young man for his hard work.SEMPER FI
    In BOLD: He may or may not. You don't change a policy based on "the future potentiel" of someone. I can't think of one reason why the school should make an exception. CCW9MM gave many examples of folks that worked hard and may go on to greatness. The valedictorian and salutatorian worked hard for 4 years to excel and they do not get to choose what to where, and they might someday go on to be doctors and scientists.

Of course the Marine worked hard and he was able to wear his uniform to show that.

If the school makes or has made exceptions in the past then I would be ticked also. If they make an exception for this man then I will be ticked if the do not allow it for others that ask for other reasons.

The only argument so far is that he is a Marine. His family saw him when he graduated boot camp.

Brandon’s family had hoped the uniform could inspire younger students.
    I am not sure about now, but when I graduated basic training we had an option to work with the home town recruiter. That way you can talk to the HS kids and "inspire them" and tell them what the Army was like. HS graduation should not be a recruiting event.

My 3 cents.

VIP Member
    This is no different than refusing to allow someone to wear an Eagle Scout, or Sheriff's Department Explorer uniform. It is a graduation, not a pass and review.
    suntzu and ccw9mm like this.
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links