Getting a motorcycle license seems to be harder then CWP

This is a discussion on Getting a motorcycle license seems to be harder then CWP within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, I just went down and tried to get my motorcycle learners permit at my local DMV. After an hour wait and 1/2hr drive they ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Getting a motorcycle license seems to be harder then CWP

So, I just went down and tried to get my motorcycle learners permit at my local DMV. After an hour wait and 1/2hr drive they said my documentation was not sufficient. 1 proof of identity (birth cert), 1 proof of social security (SS card), and 2 proof of residency (CWP and vehicle registration).

So, I took a certified copy of my birth cert.(which had the signed thing saying "I certify.....") and my wallet size CWP (which was given to me by the sheriff). Both of which were not accepted. So now I am going to have to go down to my court house and get an original signed and sealed birth and go to the safe deposit box at my bank to find the full size CWP.

It didn't take this much paperwork to be able to carry my gun. Pretty soon we are going to have to submit to a blood draw, fingerprint screen, and dental record match to even get thru the door!

We are getting closer and closer to the mark of the beast folks. Bitching wont help, but dang if I don't feel like doing some.
    Jeanlouise and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member
    To be blunt, it should be.

Riding motorcycles, like driving a car, is a privilege, not an enumerated right.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post

Riding motorcycles, like driving a car, is a privilege, not an enumerated right.
    To be blunt... this is what is wrong with this country. The right to travel is the right to liberty and cannot be turned into a privilege subject to the whims of the government(s). The founding fathers and people up until the early twentieth century did not have to get horse plates, horse licenses, etc... in their right to travel. All licensing schemes by the government(s) are designed around controlling people and usually for racist reasons. A license, legally defined, states that you are incompetent and the government is the only competent authority while performing such an act without a license is illegal. Funny, but our system of government is designed that the people are the only ones that are competent while the government is incompetent. If the government(s) collapsed tomorrow do you think everyone would suddenly stop driving because "the only competent authority" ceases to exist?

VIP Member

Seriously? He's getting a learners permit for a motorcycle not applying to build a nuclear reactor.

There is absolutely NO reason to put someone through that kind of nonsense to get a learners permit. Proof of residence should be more than enough.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get used to it. It's not going to get any better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ThePatriot1776 View Post
    To be blunt... this is what is wrong with this country. The right to travel is the right to liberty and cannot be turned into a privilege subject to the whims of the government(s). The founding fathers and people up until the early twentieth century did not have to get horse plates, horse licenses, etc... in their right to travel. All licensing schemes by the government(s) are designed around controlling people and usually for racist reasons. A license, legally defined, states that you are incompetent and the government is the only competent authority while performing such an act without a license is illegal. Funny, but our system of government is designed that the people are the only ones that are competent while the government is incompetent. If the government(s) collapsed tomorrow do you think everyone would suddenly stop driving because "the only competent authority" ceases to exist?
    Great 100th post from a great avatar.
    ThePatriot1776 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Seriously? He's getting a learners permit for a motorcycle not applying to build a nuclear reactor.

There is absolutely NO reason to put someone through that kind of nonsense to get a learners permit. Proof of residence should be more than enough.
    I think you're taking my comment out of context. I'm not saying that they're right to hassle him so much. I agree that an issued ID is an issued ID. Any one of theme can be verified without the others, if they felt like it. It's bureaucracy run amok.

But it is right that its harder to get a motorcycle license than to exercise your 2A rights. Keeping and bearing arms is an enumerated right. It should have no barriers whatsoever for the law-abiding. Driving and riding are considered to be privileges.

If we, as a people, want it to be considered a right, there's a process for amending the Constitution, and the overlords in the Capitol can be voted out. But it would take enough people waking up, realizing that they are being subjugated, and deciding to take a stand against it.

Perhaps I should have elaborated more in my first post, but that bell can't be un-rung.

VIP Member
    I think you're taking my comment out of context. I'm not saying that they're right to hassle him so much. I agree that an issued ID is an issued ID. Any one of theme can be verified without the others, if they felt like it. It's bureaucracy run amok.

But it is right that its harder to get a motorcycle license than to exercise your 2A rights. Keeping and bearing arms is an enumerated right. It should have no barriers whatsoever for the law-abiding. Driving and riding are considered to be privileges.

If we, as a people, want it to be considered a right, there's a process for amending the Constitution, and the overlords in the Capitol can be voted out. But it would take enough people waking up, realizing that they are being subjugated, and deciding to take a stand against it.
    I agree it's not a Constitutional right but when the government makes one jump through hoops to get something as simple as a learners permit, it's harassment IMO. We have to right to live free of harassment from the government.

What wonk decided to make this so ridiculous anyway? As the woman giving the statement before the IRS investigative committee said, "our government has forgotten itself". They work for US...not the other way around.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    And illegal aliens are getting driver's licenses with no documentation. Go figure.
    msgt/ret and Jeanlouise like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I agree it's not a Constitutional right but when the government makes one jump through hoops to get something as simple as a learners permit, it's harassment IMO. We have to right to live free of harassment from the government.

What wonk decided to make this so ridiculous anyway? As the woman giving the statement before the IRS investigative committee said, "our government has forgotten itself". They work for US...not the other way around.
    I agree. It's ridiculous that functioning in modern society requires layer after layer of government approval and permission. In my opinion, eliminating the licensing, and diverting the funds to enforcement of traffic laws would be an improvement. Anyone can pass a test. Not everyone can drive safely. Funding enforcement of safe driving instead of proving once that you read the rules would probably save a lot of lives. It would be each individuals responsibility to learn and practice safe driving, and failure to do so would have consequences. It would eliminate a huge chunk of this bureaucratic waste a restore a little bit of the liberty we all believe in.

Would it work? Maybe. Maybe not. But the system as-is sure isn't working for the OP, and the millions like him, or for those who are denied their 2A rights.

But I'm ranting without the aid of caffeine. Bad combination.

I could see it being hard to get a CDL, pilot, or something. But a motorcycle learners? I have already passed a driving test so I know the laws of the road. I have proven who I am time and time again to get the documents they want. And lets not forget they have my fingerprint on file with my current drivers license. Any LEO in the country could easily verify my credentials with less info. But all that is not what makes me mad. What concerns me is that they made me waste an entire evening over a photocopy. A government issue photocopy.... I will take back the exact same items, they were just printed on a different machine.

Maybe if all the documents were copies then I could see them thinking maybe I forged them. But this is a little much IMO.

From the wvdmv web site:

An original or certified copy of a United States-issued birth certificate (U.S. Department of State and U.S. Military birth certificates ARE acceptable, hospital birth certificates and Bureau of Census records are NOT acceptable)

She said mine was no good because the seal was not "palpable". Maybe she was having a bad day and I looked like an easy target? Seems funny to me I passed 2 desks before hers and they didn't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Get used to it. It's not going to get any better.
    I respectfully disagree. It will get better - but only after it gets a lot worse.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. It will get better - but only after it gets a lot worse.
    Oh yes, I agree. I only hope that we can change our path with votes instead of bullets.

VIP Member
    The MVA is full of government drones who absolutely don't give a flying walenda.

Even in the ridiculous cesspool that I live in you can get a learner's permit with only a valid DL.

Call before you haul. Lesson learned.

I wish I could get a job just pulling over motorcycle riders and cutting their license in half, maybe tazing them a few times just for laughs. Most of the ones I see are horrible drivers and could care less about their own safety, much less mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links