New Autoloading Screwdriver

This is a discussion on New Autoloading Screwdriver within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; AutoLoading.JPG I saw this at Lowes the other day. It's a pistol grip screwdriver that keeps various types of heads (phillips, flat head, torx, etc) ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ElkSniper
  • 1 Post By MarksmanCentral
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By Tala

Thread: New Autoloading Screwdriver

AutoLoading.JPG

I saw this at Lowes the other day. It's a pistol grip screwdriver that keeps various types of heads (phillips, flat head, torx, etc) in separate little revolver cylinders that can be swapped in and out. You then spin the cylinder to the desired size and slide the slider on the top forward to load the screwdriver head into the tip of the tool. I can't decide how to react:

(1) This is cool.

(2) This is stupid. I don't want to keep more junk around my work bench.
    (2a) especially because most of the time I switch between phillips head and flat head, and those are in separate revolver cylinders so switching isn't that easy.

(3) Oh, the humanity!!! We need to save THE CHILDREN from such awful tools! We need legislation immediately to require a background check and waiting period before anyone can buy such awful things. It has a pistol grip AND it's autoloading! Both!!! Better yet we should just ban them outright! Imagine how many screws you could put in with this before having to recharge it! No one needs to put in that many screws!

What do you think?
    Attached Images
    dauc43 likes this.

It is a neat idea if you are one of these closet DIY guys who really couldn't drive a nail straight with a $200 hammer and the carpenter to run it... I just don't see this thing being much more than a gimmick. I have given up on these one size fits all rigs. It seems that they can accomplish the task but it will be ugly and painful most of the time. If you were to just need it for handing pictures and such it may be fine, but any serious work and I predict it will break or you will break it.
    NONAME762 likes this.

VIP Member
    These handle my screwing around quite nicely. Craftsman 41 pc. Screwdriver Set: Complete Your Tool Kit With Sears

Never had much use for the gimmicks you see everywhere now.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I really do like my plain 4-size in one (standard hand powered) screwdriver. The orange ones from Home Depot, with the most popular two sizes of each slot and phillips. I don't like any other of the knock offs that I've tried, only the chunky Home Depot orange ones, and I like it so much that I have 3 or more, one for the truck and one for the toolbox and one to float around the house. I only have the regular #2 size bits for my drill.

If a project is more complicated than standard size, some "one size fits all" tool probably won't fit it. Things made in funky sizes either come with their own tools or are designed to make you spend more money on a fancy tool, that's my take on it.
    NONAME762 and msgt/ret like this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by MarksmanCentral View Post
    It is a neat idea if you are one of these closet DIY guys who really couldn't drive a nail straight with a $200 hammer and the carpenter to run it... I just don't see this thing being much more than a gimmick. I have given up on these one size fits all rigs. It seems that they can accomplish the task but it will be ugly and painful most of the time. If you were to just need it for hanging pictures and such it may be fine, but any serious work and I predict it will break or you will break it.
    One of the first things my Dad ever taught me about tools was buy the best tools you can afford. With rare exceptions all of Dad's tools were Craftsman.

As Marksman Central said I think this tool is just a cheap made in China bunch of crap. The wussy looking drill/driver looks like more cheap crap that would let you down in less than one weekend of using it. Like MSgt/Ret I too have a poop load of screwdrivers. Some are Craftsman or Stanley. I also have some fancy screwdrivers made for electrical work ie changing buss bars and breakers.

Hell's Bell's Son I've got more hand tools than Carters got pills. In 10 years of working as a Maintenance Man for just one place I went from perhaps 40 pounds of tools when I started out to 500 pounds of hand tools+shovels and digging bars, cordless drill (Makita 9.8V cordless, 15 years old and going strong), 2 Stihl saws, and 2 rollaway tool chest setups.

Heck for many years the only reason I ever went to the Mall was cuz that's where Sears was for Craftsman tools.
    But for Vise Grips type pliers go the Real McCoy route w/made in Germany Vise Grips and Made in America Channel Lock Pliers.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Actually the cheap Chinese tools are getting pretty good.

This should scare the crap out of people.

The more "gimmicky" any tool is, the more prone it will be to fall apart at the moment you really need it!

And Craftsman is starting to be one of the worst for "gimmicky" tools!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElkSniper View Post
    AutoLoading.JPG

(2a) especially because most of the time I switch between phillips head and flat head, and those are in separate revolver cylinders so switching isn't that easy.
    Definitely that ^^^

I wonder if you could load one of the cylinders with a combination of the heads you'd use the most or are they specific for flat head or phillips? If you could do that...I might be interested.

If some kid took one of those to school he'd be out for the semester. If you can be suspended for a Pop tart...imagine what a pistol grip, automatic loading screw driver will get you. Probably prison time.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Woah, watch where you point that thing, Jesus!

Oh what? What's that? My sources are telling me it's just a screwdriver. Well then! Don't let your kid bring it to school or we will expel them for life for traumatizing other children.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Kobalt hand tools have a liftime guarantee. Don't know if this is a hand tool under their terms.

Better have a premit for that thing and if the kid takes it to woodshop class LOOK OUT

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Looks ergonomically difficult to use. The self loading feature is pure gimmick to me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Links