Who takes driving lessons, CPR, medical courses, eats right?

This is a discussion on Who takes driving lessons, CPR, medical courses, eats right? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just a random thought I had this morning out and about. Folks talk about all of the FOF and shooting courses they take. How often ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Who takes driving lessons, CPR, medical courses, eats right?

Just a random thought I had this morning out and about. Folks talk about all of the FOF and shooting courses they take. How often they go to the range, and read about self defense. Folks say it is a way fo life....and that is obviously cool.

But how many folks put the same amount of energy into other training that is much more likely to be used? Really good driving schools, CPR/first aid, read and study about medical emergencies? How many folks actually take care of their bodies by exercising and eating right?
    My experience has been that most folks I have met at ranges talk a lot about training for SD like it happens all the time. But they neglect to train or prepare for more likely things in life that one will see.

A weapon and training is great for SD and protecting the sheep, but it is much more likely you will find some sheep clutching his chest having a heart attack or having a possible c-spine injury from an accidental fall.

We had a thread which asked folks if they would help a BG after they shot them. Many, in fact, a great deal, said they would not know what to do or have anything to help them with anyway. Did it occur to those folks that they or a loved one might get shot also? Would it not be a good idea to learn more than just basic first aid and have more than band aids in their car if you are walking around with a gun?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Good question.

My defense is that I don't have time for any type of training that isn't job-related. Although I used to be certified EMT (1985-88). I think I have enough residual knowledge to render basic aide.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The last CPR instructor I had presented us with some data that showed the rate of successful CPR was ridiculously low, so low as to be practically useless. But again, you never know when you might have that 1-in-a-1000 victim.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Though I confess I'm not perfect in this, I do believe that pounds on your waist, smokes in your lungs, clogs in your arteries, high blood pressure, and/or a bumper in your lap are more likely to kill you than a BG. I act accordingly.

Edit: About the classes - I've taken various versions of CPR/basic first-responder first aid, etc ever since I was a kid, and my various jobs have kept that current plus some variants for specific environments. Got some cool driving training, but nothing on the Bullitt level. I'd put my survival training as well-above-average, but not "elite." And I keep in pretty good shape and eat much better than most, but could still do a lot better... you [OP] know yourself how many Dairy Bars are open in the summer around here!

I am HCP/CPR/Heimlich certified.

-Last driving lesson was back in the late 90's..... straightened my tee shots right out AND got 30 more yards with the Big Dawg.
    -Just finished my CPR and first-aid recerts....job requirement.
    - *sigh*..... I 'could' do more about my diet... or lack of one.
    perfection likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The last CPR instructor I had presented us with some data that showed the rate of successful CPR was ridiculously low, so low as to be practically useless. But again, you never know when you might have that 1-in-a-1000 victim.
    I should have been more specific with the reasoning and type of instruction. CPR and AED training. AED's are simple and effective and virtually anyone can use one. But if they have never been taught, they will be hesitant to try. CPR, though not magical, may work in very specific circumstances. Most cardiac issues happen away from a hospital. The only chance a person has is to make it to a good ER (and even then the odds are against them) and keep some air in the body and a some circulation going while you await EMS.

I for one, knowing that it most likely will not work, would rather give it the old college try if my wife were to collapse than just sit there twiddling my thumbs.

But, the main point of my post was the last part about knowing how to deal with gunshot wounds. They are survivalable, and a layperson with some knowledge and some preperation can make a big difference. Many times the GG or bystanders get shot too.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    But, the main point of my post was the last part about knowing how to deal with gunshot wounds. They are survivalable, and a layperson with some knowledge and some preperation can make a big difference.
    If I'm near my car, I've got a pretty good first aid kit w/QuikClot sponges. If I'm wearing something with BDU/Cargo pockets, I've often got this plus a SWAT-T: Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pack with QuikClot: Health & Personal Care in one of them.
    If I'm on the job, I've got either the kit above, or a 25g QuikClot in my shirt pocket (SWAT-T in the other) and a pretty healthy trauma kit close by.

Procrastinating a bit with the next step - my plan is to make a bit better of an easy-to-carry trauma kit, vacuum-packed flat (the Adventure Kit thing is a reusable zip-lock that gets filled with air). Have most of the stuff, but here's what I'm thinking needs to go in it:
    - QuikClot sponge or Z-pak
    - SWAT-T
    - Gloves (maybe)

I saw a pretty cool idea a while back to vacuum-pack a slightly better-equipped kit into a package that would slip into the plate carrier pocket of a vest. I think it even had an nose tube and a needle, but I think a plate and/or trauma pad is a better way to bulk that pocket up.

I am first aid certified, I have taken several CPR classes (but have to requalify every year - I am a little overdue), I eat healthily and exercise regularly (although I am not in what I would call peak condition).

However, I am woefully undertrained in emergency medical matters (beyond first aid), and I have never taken a driving course (except for driver's ed).

You make some good points; we tend to like to train for the 1 in 100,000 scenarios, and do very little about the much more likely ones.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I also have AED training...So make that HCP, CPR, AED, Heimlich.

We had a thread which asked folks if they would help a BG after they shot them. Many, in fact, a great deal, said they would not know what to do or have anything to help them with anyway. Did it occur to those folks that they or a loved one might get shot also? Would it not be a good idea to learn more than just basic first aid and have more than band aids in their car if you are walking around with a gun?
    And I'll say in this thread what I did in the other one:

Despite having the know-how, and experience running GSWs, as a Paramedic, a person who's been shot doesn't need a Paramedic or a bandaid on a bullet hole, they need to be with a surgeon. Sure, putting pressure on the wound may make you feel warm and fuzzy when you see less blood coming out, but that's doing very little for the patient as they're bleeding internally, and infact can cause more issues. (Yes, it can also tamponade the wound to cease bleeding, but not likely)

Infact, my last shooting patient a week ago, I looked to see where the holes were, then moved on to other things, not even applying pressure to them. They don't get covered until after surgery.

As far the efficacy of CPR, I'd call out your instructor on saying it's useless, as I have met survivors. Granted, survival to neurologically intact discharge (IE not a vegetable), nationally, is only about 5% (My company is closer to 9%), it's still worth the try. (And PS, we don't transport dead people. As a Paramedic, I can do every single thing a doctor can for a medical cardiac arrest. We work it for 30 minutes, and if no pulse comes back, we leave them where they lay)

I do, though, wish everyone would learn CPR and fist aid in school, as a requirement to get their drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    And I'll say in this thread what I did in the other one:

Despite having the know-how, and experience running GSWs, as a Paramedic, a person who's been shot doesn't need a Paramedic or a bandaid on a bullet hole, they need to be with a surgeon. Sure, putting pressure on the wound may make you feel warm and fuzzy when you see less blood coming out, but that's doing very little for the patient as they're bleeding internally, and infact can cause more issues. (Yes, it can also tamponade the wound to cease bleeding, but not likely)

Infact, my last shooting patient a week ago, I looked to see where the holes were, then moved on to other things, not even applying pressure to them. They don't get covered until after surgery.

As far the efficacy of CPR, I'd call out your instructor on saying it's useless, as I have met survivors. Granted, survival to neurologically intact discharge (IE not a vegetable), nationally, is only about 5% (My company is closer to 9%), it's still worth the try. (And PS, we don't transport dead people. As a Paramedic, I can do every single thing a doctor can for a medical cardiac arrest. We work it for 30 minutes, and if no pulse comes back, we leave them where they lay)

I do, though, wish everyone would learn CPR and fist aid in school, as a requirement to get their drivers license.
    1. I never said , nor did my instructer (who happens to be a very sexy lady......my wife ..she is a CPR instrictor) that CPR is useless. I said it is a good idea.
    2. I don't get your point about gunshot wounds....don't get any training or the training someone can get is useless. You should know that there is more to learn about than the tradional ABC's that many were taught in firt aid a long time ago. You learn what to prioritize. I was not there at your last GWS so I can't comment. But the point I was making is to get training. If I brought a layperson into a room with no training and they saw a person with multiple problems the instinct is to jump all over what is bleeding first and not care about a possible c-spine injury as they jerk the paient about to get the bleeding stopped (which might just be minor)
    3. Other injuries can occur during an altercation or an accident. Knife wounds (yes, most folks would just yank the darn thing out), eye injury, loss of finger or a limb, SHOCK.
    4. Training is also for what not to do also.

The actual point of the thread is that I feel most folks train for the unlikley chance they will have to actually shoot someone in self defense than to prepare for more likely scenarios they will face in thier lives.

VIP Member
    Driving - not recently
    CPR/Medical Course - Last fall I took TDI's Field Emergency Medicine course which focuses on TCCC & BLS. This is taught by the head of the Wright Patterson AFB Hospital ER and covers CPR/AED training in addition to ABC and wounds that would be associated with car wrecks and shootings as well as other trauma events.
    Diet - well, that and exercise could use some improvement.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    The actual point of the thread is that I feel most folks train for the unlikley chance they will have to actually shoot someone in self defense than to prepare for more likely scenarios they will face in thier lives.
    I totally agree with you on that. The likelihood that we'll have to defend ourselves or someone with a gun is fairly minimal, but accidents and illnesses happen every single day to someone.

One of the best tips ever given to me was to keep a box of plastic wrap in your car. You can use it as a giant bandage by tightly wrapping up a cut till it can be stitched. You can wrap a long piece around someone's chest for a sucking wound. You can cut off a piece, twist it around and use it as a tourniquet. Wrap it around someone's head for a scalp injury...all sorts of things.
    It's flexible, nonabsorbent and there's yards of it in a box so you'd have as much as you need.

I also think the most important thing you can do for yourself is to not smoke, keep the alcohol to a minimum, lose weight if you need to, exercise at least 3 times a week and get enough sleep. Most people could stop taking all sorts of pills for all sorts of problems if they weren't overweight.

I'm an RN but I hate trauma injury. I could never be a first responder. I have utmost respect for EMT's and Paramedics.
    I hope adrenalin and training would kick in if I ever came upon a bad accident, I just hope I never have to find out.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    I refuse to say without a lawyer here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links