Buying new cell phone, need advice

This is a discussion on Buying new cell phone, need advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is really off topic of guns (mostly) but I'm replacing my Verizon prepaid cell phone with a smartphone and I wonder if it's better ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Buying new cell phone, need advice

Buying new cell phone, need advice

This is really off topic of guns (mostly) but I'm replacing my Verizon prepaid cell phone with a smartphone and I wonder if it's better to buy at a Verizon store or at someplace like Walmart, Target, etc, or online like Amazon. Plan on getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 or Blackberry Z10. Verizon or US Cellular the only two options here in my part of southeastern NC. Any advice welcomed! Thanks!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Best bet is to contact the NSA and see which phone and service the rate the highest!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

By all means, buy at the factory store, such as Verizon Store, NOT at another vendor. I made that mistake once and had trouble with the phone and Verizon rightfully told me to take it back where I bought it. Unfortunately, that's when I discovered that vendor didn't have the same phone warranty as Verizon.

Thumbs down

I know exactly Jack Ship about owning/buying cell phones

Tho I'd tend to take Onacoma's advice and contact NSA and ask them which cell they preferred
    Last edited by NONAME762; June 13th, 2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: 0opsy
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Oh, something I'm a bit more knowledgeable about than firearms. If you are buying it flat out with no contract, I'm assuming since your are using the prepaid Verizon service, it sort of depends. If you just want a good price on the phone online retailers will probably do the best there, its a hassle to return a faulty device though. Places like best buy and radioshack will offer replacement plans which will cover damage but they can be well over 100 bucks. Just depends on what kinda convenience and protection you want. The manufacturer will typically have a one year warranty versus defects though.

Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Distinguished Member
    I would absolutely buy it from the carrier's store...
    If you have problems the carrier's store will very likely give you better support and most give you a couple of weeks to "change your mind" should you decide you don't really like the phone you've chosen.

BTW: I've got an AT&T Z-10 and depsite a few "new-product" bugs I really like the device. Native BB apps are still a little thin, but it runs most Android apps very well.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Just to actually be helpful, we switch from AT & T to Sprint for our business. However for personal I would suggest a T-Mobile as they seem to be updating fast then the others. If you still go to Costco you may wish to try them as they seem to have good pricing on the phones and with T-Mobile you can get away with no contract!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I would absolutely buy it from the carrier's store...
    If you have problems the carrier's store will very likely give you better support and most give you a couple of weeks to "change your mind" should you decide you don't really like the phone you've chosen.

BTW: I've got an AT&T Z-10 and depsite a few "new-product" bugs I really like the device. Native BB apps are still a little thin, but it runs most Android apps very well.
    I've been hearing very good things about the BB10 devices. My contract isn't up till Nov, so I'm kinda holding out for the "phablet" they're supposed to be releasing around then.

Depending on what you are doing with it there may be better options. I have been very happy with the HTC models. I currently use the rezound and it is great. It is the 2nd phone that I have had that has kept me from wanting a new phone during or after the 2 yr contract period thing.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My contract is up on July 1st and I can upgrade to another phone. Though I'm strongly thinking of saving my upgrade till this fall and see what the new phablets are like that Samsung and HTC and planning to release.

Do I need a phone with a 6in screen? Nooooooooo. Will I even use the 6in screen for anything productive? Noooooooo.
    But I want my smart phones like I like my guns, big and obnoxious, to tick off the panty waist Iphone carrying Libs.(no offense to any Iphone users here LOL)

reccommend the htc one, S3 or S4. i would stray from blackberry.
    currently the htc one is the best phone on the market hardware/software wise.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    My contract is up on July 1st and I can upgrade to another phone. Though I'm strongly thinking of saving my upgrade till this fall and see what the new phablets are like that Samsung and HTC and planning to release.

Do I need a phone with a 6in screen? Nooooooooo. Will I even use the 6in screen for anything productive? Noooooooo.
    But I want my smart phones like I like my guns, big and obnoxious, to tick off the panty waist Iphone carrying Libs.(no offense to any Iphone users here LOL)
    I've always gone with qwerty phones, but a phablet seems like it would suit my giant mitts pretty well. I'm sick of pecking at tiny icons on a tiny screen.

Have been with verizon long time they gave my wife an I free iphones for 1 year contract not bad

Apologies if anybody was offended. My attempt at humor was in poor taste.
    Last edited by 91wm6; June 15th, 2013 at 04:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links