Cuts to farm bill = cuts to foodstamps

This is a discussion on Cuts to farm bill = cuts to foodstamps within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With the proposed cuts to the farmbill will come come cuts to SNAP (foodstamps). I can't imagine the folks that have been getting the government ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Cuts to farm bill = cuts to foodstamps

With the proposed cuts to the farmbill will come come cuts to SNAP (foodstamps). I can't imagine the folks that have been getting the government freebies being to happy about giving them up. I have always thought that when the government starts cutting off some of the money that there would be some that call for an uprising. Granted we still don't know how much SNAP will be cut, but I have a pretty good idea how the benificiaries of the programs will react to any cuts. I hope it doesn't turn into the LA riots at a national level.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Food stamps are a huge problem and rift with fraud. On any given day people try to sell their food stamps for cash. My daughter has been approached in the check out line several times in the past few months alone.

EBT cards should be discontinued IMO...they're the worst.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; June 13th, 2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    goldshellback likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Yep. Hard for the liquor store to cash in the tear out food stamp coupons.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Good.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    yes sir GOOD.. also drug testing . make people due a service,like paint,sweep,pick uptrash,etc. not just a freebe...................

I have a simple solution to welfare and public aid and unemployment (BTW: to a certain extent I think some of these programs are OK, they need to be slashed about 99 percent though)

If someone is on unemployment and food stamps and say they get 1000 dollars a month (I have no idea so I made up a number). What you do is find them a job, any job, even if it is outside their field. If they flip burgers for 500 bucks a month then you substract that from the aid so they get 500 bucks. You put them to work, it generates payroll taxes, puts money into the social secruity, and, you don't give them a blank check for 22 (?) months for doing nothing except crying they can't find a job in their field.

It is far from perfect from in my mind a workable solution. It saves money and puts money back into the government. And who knows, the person might actually do well and advance to the cash register in that 22 months or go on to McDonalds U and become a manager.

We will never eliminate these programs, rep or dem in office. So we needd to have some sort of resolution so they are not 100 percen freeloaders.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I have a simple solution to welfare and public aid and unemployment (BTW: to a certain extent I think some of these programs are OK, they need to be slashed about 99 percent though)

If someone is on unemployment and food stamps and say they get 1000 dollars a month (I have no idea so I made up a number). What you do is find them a job, any job, even if it is outside their field. If they flip burgers for 500 bucks a month then you substract that from the aid so they get 500 bucks. You put them to work, it generates payroll taxes, puts money into the social secruity, and, you don't give them a blank check for 22 (?) months for doing nothing except crying they can't find a job in their field.

It is far from perfect from in my mind a workable solution. It saves money and puts money back into the government. And who knows, the person might actually do well and advance to the cash register in that 22 months or go on to McDonalds U and become a manager.

We will never eliminate these programs, rep or dem in office. So we needd to have some sort of resolution so they are not 100 percen freeloaders.
    I agree with everything you just said except cutting of benefits. One of the biggest problems with "handout" reform is that to many they are in a lose/lose situation. if they get a job they will often be in a low income/minimum wage type situation. These jobs in no way can cover most peoples expenses.

So when a person gets on the "handout" wagon they sometimes become trapped. They can't get a job or they lose their bennies. Or for every dollar they earn they lose a dollar in bennies. Many figure why work if I'm going to lose as much as I gain by working.

There has got to be a way to get people the help they need AND let them earn a buck or two extra in order to help them rise up out of poverty. Obviously there needs to be a point where bennies are curtailed or stopped but IMO it should be on a case by case basis.

As an aside, I also think we should drug test recipients as well.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

I'm not swallowing the bait this time and writing pages and pages of what I think about this topic. No I'm not, nope, nope, nope...

You're tempting me, you really are!
    AZJD1968, JoJoGunn and NONAME762 like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Just do it you know you want to.

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Welfare is socially corrosive and leads to decline and fall. People who expect the government to take care of people don't take care of each other. From Rome to Detroit the pattern holds.
    People who help others and those who are helped have implied contract. There is a debt and an expectation there. Do you believe any welfare recipients have contract with the government?
    Christ didn't tell us to vote for people who will take care of those in need. He told us to love each other and take care of people in need. Put the government in-between you and the person who needs help, and that help becomes worthless.
    You cannot vote for or buy goodness. You have to BE good.
    Nmuskier and NONAME762 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    This is one of the reasons why I decided to get a CCL. I live in an area with a very low and I mean very low crime rate but when the gubinet(spelling?) has to cut back and when they cut the handouts to these people that have been milking it for years these people are not going to magically go out and get steady jobs and they are going to have to get their money somehow and stabbing people and taking their wallets is going to one of their ways to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I'm not swallowing the bait this time and writing pages and pages of what I think about this topic. No I'm not, nope, nope, nope...

You're tempting me, you really are!
    I agree with you, Im not doing this again either.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I agree that it's a tough situation with no good way out. There ARE people who really need help and those people should get it.
    Welfare (or whatever they call it now) was meant to be a "leg up" not a way of life, which it's become for many people.

I've heard that if you add up all the benefits they fall in the 60-80k range. Who's going to give up that to get a minimum wage job?

Around here, the DHHR waiting room is filled with girls who have several children...no husbands or even boyfriends that are working. It cuts across racial lines so it's not that. It's a degeneration of the family, drug abuse, alcohol abuse and ignorance that perpetuates it.

I don't know how we stop it, it seems to be getting worse by the month. I'm definitely in favor of drug testing. If you test positive...no check. At least it's a start.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

The Heritage Foundation has a good write up today on this food stamp mess:

WHY is the “farm” bill 80 percent food stamps?

Food stamp spending has doubled under the Obama Administration, and participation is at historic highs. For a bill that’s 80 percent food stamps, the “farm” bill clearly has the wrong name.
    A few cuts might be in order.
    atctimmy and AR15VSCoyote like this.

As a new farmer I'm happy the farm bill passed. I need to find out what it will help, if anything.
    JoJoGunn and NONAME762 like this.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links