Just a story

This is a discussion on Just a story within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I was young,in my twenties, I worked for an ambulance service in a medium sized town. There was a plant in a little town ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By PEF
  • 6 Post By atctimmy
  • 2 Post By Oldpsufan
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: Just a story

Just a story

When I was young,in my twenties, I worked for an ambulance service in a medium sized town. There was a plant in a little town near there that I went to often. They made nuclear fuel and had a "guard"/emergency services department. I was qualified to work there but lacked any political influence. I stopped anyway and asked to speak to the HR manager now and then .Usually if I could get to talk to someone I could at least get an interview. He was always busy. One day the lady at the desk said you have been here a couple of times already,let me see if I can get him to speak with you. She came back and said he said he says he just has no time today,stop again and he will speak with you. I said thanks and we went back to the station. We had not been there 5 minutes when we got a shooting call just one block from the station. We,my partner and I, rushed down to the call. There was a man in the street with a bullet wound under his left eye and was of course very bad. He died before we could do anything really. It was the HR man from the plant I had just asked to speak with. I have thought of this often through the years. If he had taken a couple of minutes to talk to me he might be alive today. You see his wife worked at the bank on the street where he was. He had come by to see her and was pulling out of the parking lot onto the street when he saw her boyfriend about to pull into the lot. He stopped his car and got out and approached the boyfriend. The boyfriend had shot him with a .380. When we moved the body we found the knife the boyfriend said he had. It was just under his body. It was a little bitty Case knife with a blade maybe an inch long. As the boyfriend was in his pick up he could have just drove away but instead shot him dead. The police took the boyfriend in for questioning but released him in a couple of hours. The shooting was ruled self defense.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    All too often tragedy strikes before redemption is found.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

A sad story. Sounds like it was bound to turn out badly in the end, sooner or later.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by pignut View Post
    She came back and said he said he says he just has no time today,stop again and he will speak with you. .
    He must have had something important to take care of.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    A sad story. Sounds like it was bound to turn out badly in the end, sooner or later.
    Too true. That sort of thing never ends well.

I love my wife but if she started running around on me I sure wouldn't go and pick a fight with the boyfriend. She's the one I'd be mad at and instead of a knife I'd bring a flesh eating lawyer in to fight for me.
    WHEC724, Badey, JoJoGunn and 3 others like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Not like this story but have often wondered how many times tragedy is avoided in live by an accident of timing or intervention of some kind. Maybe not an accident. I also wonder why people get mad at the one their other is cheating with. After all, they are not the one you have a deal with. All kinds of things happen though. I have had friends wives make ,offers,but because of my friend I never did do anything about it. I never did tell them either,I wished I could but did not know how.
    This story happened a long time ago but I did not see it so cut and dried self defense as the officials did at the time. If you would like to know something about this area I am talking about Google the town where an elephant was killed. If you can't find anything I will give more info on that.
    NIKS, I had to many he said she said in there,bad part is I proof read before posting. Getting sharper every day I guess.

Was not jabbing you on grammar. Just struck me that he was too busy to talk to you. If he had, who knows.

Understood and agree.

This story strikes home for me. Two separate times in my life I have been the recipient of unfaithful wives, and I can honestly say looking back in retrospect, there is really not a damn thing you can do about it. If they make the decision to be unfaithful it is my opinion that no one is worth prison time or worse by a dumb reaction. Ego is a funny thing, it can trigger all kinds of emotion. If one is smart they will accept the fact, get a good lawyer and move on.

Note: I did not marry a third time.
    atctimmy and WHEC724 like this.

I think we can all ponder the "what ifs" of life but who knows. Things often do happen for a reason, and we may not know why or what the reason may be. I just know that we have little control over what happens to people we interact with.

Would that "five minutes" you expected him to spend with you saved his life? Maybe. Then again, he could have dropped dead with a heart attack in your presence as well.

Like my grand pappy used to say, "Crap happens."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Too true. That sort of thing never ends well.

I love my wife but if she started running around on me I sure wouldn't go and pick a fight with the boyfriend. She's the one I'd be mad at and instead of a knife I'd bring a flesh eating lawyer in to fight for me.
    Seriously. If your wife is cheating on you, the boyfriend is not the problem.
    atctimmy likes this.

Links