BAD: I have never been so appalled in my life....

This is a discussion on BAD: I have never been so appalled in my life.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While this may not be a BG with a gun... they are BG's just the same for this. Too many have sacrificed all for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: BAD: I have never been so appalled in my life....

While this may not be a BG with a gun... they are BG's just the same for this. Too many have sacrificed all for the american flag to be used as a freaking table cloth. The very idea infuriates me. I am truly appalled that no one ever thought this may be considered disrespectful.

HGTV apologizes for suggesting American flag tablecloth in Fourth of July celebrations
    darbo and NONAME762 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Respect is out the window......IMO....just ask your local representative.

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Yea. Heard about it on the radio.

Here's the thing...

They don't teach flag etiquette in school (they should), so if you weren't a Boy Scout, or never wore a uniform lots of people, who are basically patriotic, simply don't know. On the 4th of July they want a display of their patriotism but then end up offending lots of us because they're ignorant, but not bad people. I see people wearing American flags, which is also not acceptable, but they're not doing it to defile the flag, they just don't know. The person who put that tablecloth thing together was simply ignorant and careless, not actively trying to be disrespectful. In the end its a good thing, because someone at HGTV obviously did GET IT, and now more people are aware of it. I'm not endorsing treating the flag any differently, and I was incensed by this whole thing too, but we need to do a better job of teaching the public how to handle an American Flag. It's just a piece of cloth, but what it stands for is worth more than my life, so I'm with you but I don't think there was any malice in it, just ignorance.

Sigh... Ignorance is all too common in America now...Just call up all those LIVs on their Obama phones and ask them about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Yea. Heard about it on the radio.

Here's the thing...

They don't teach flag etiquette in school (they should), so if you weren't a Boy Scout, or never wore a uniform lots of people, who are basically patriotic, simply don't know. On the 4th of July they want a display of their patriotism but then end up offending lots of us because they're ignorant, but not bad people. I see people wearing American flags, which is also not acceptable, but they're not doing it to defile the flag, they just don't know. The person who put that tablecloth thing together was simply ignorant and careless, not actively trying to be disrespectful. In the end its a good thing, because someone at HGTV obviously did GET IT, and now more people are aware of it. I'm not endorsing treating the flag any differently, and I was incensed by this whole thing too, but we need to do a better job of teaching the public how to handle an American Flag. It's just a piece of cloth, but what it stands for is worth more than my life, so I'm with you but I don't think there was any malice in it, just ignorance.
    I agree with you completely. It just angers me that our country accepts ignorance as an excuse for anything. I dont go to parades because it makes me so angry when I see the little flags on sticks lying on the ground, tossed aside for some stupid foam "dog" on a leash or plastic noise trumpet.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Thats pretty ignorant and stupid on their part.

VIP Member
    If that is the most appalling thing you have encountered in your lifetime you lead a very sheltered life.

It may not be proper etiquette but it clearly wasn't meant to be disrespectful and was apparently intended to help
    celebrate the day with patriotic themed dinning. Naive and uninformed, yes. Appalling, no.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If that is the most appalling thing you have encountered in your lifetime you lead a very sheltered life.

It may not be proper etiquette but it clearly wasn't meant to be disrespectful and was apparently intended to help
    celebrate the day with patriotic themed dinning. Naive and uninformed, yes. Appalling, no.
    People that have used the flag in the past to rally good folks into thinking certain government policies and wars are good is IMO much more appalling.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Jaeger hit the nail on the head....
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    OT--@Suntzu : Noticed your new location.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    A young lady once wore a pair of pants to work that was patterned like a US flag, blue field of stars on top and red/white stripes for the legs. Someone objected, she asked me (as an old serviceman), and I informed her that it was indeed in violation of flag etiquette and disrespectful to the flag. She never wore them again to my knowledge. Sometimes education comes later in life for some.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    There's ignorance, and then there's willful ignorance.

My dad was certainly a patriot, but insisted on wearing an American Flag shirt even after I pointed out the transgression to him.

I look more at the intent. What I find appalling is that school teacher that sued his district for firing him after he stomped on the flag.
    Flag-stomping South Carolina teacher gets $85,000 settlement | The Daily Caller

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    While this may not be a BG with a gun... they are BG's just the same for this. Too many have sacrificed all for the american flag to be used as a freaking table cloth. The very idea infuriates me. I am truly appalled that no one ever thought this may be considered disrespectful.

HGTV apologizes for suggesting American flag tablecloth in Fourth of July celebrations
    I agree that this is appalling.

Question for you though. What if it is a tablecloth that looks like an American flag but is not an actual flag?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Research "Flag etiquette" and make your own determination.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I learned flag etiquette in school and the Boy Scouts. They do not teach it in school anymore because the people running the schools and the teacher's union despise what America is and the flag is a symbol of that which they despise.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links