Started using a feature on a sales site

This is a discussion on Started using a feature on a sales site within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have never paid much mind to Amazon and its Prime option. I think it is 79 bucks a year and you get 2 day ...

I have never paid much mind to Amazon and its Prime option. I think it is 79 bucks a year and you get 2 day free shipping on most items (at least one I have looked at). Plus, you get a tone of free movies to stream.

Anyway, I have had it for a few months and never really used it (except for streaming video). Now that I am in norther NH for the summer with little or no specialty stores I have found myself buying things I would never have bought online before because of shipping charges. I had a need for some machine screws (needed 3) that my local hardware store did not have. I just got in the screws which I ordered on Wed. The pack of ten cost 39 cents! Free two day shipping.

Amazon also carried firearm stuff too. If you live in a rural area and or shop online a lot it is defintily worth the money.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I have been a Prime member for about a year. I know, even though I have not added it up, that I got my $79 back just in shipping charges. I have ATT DSL internet with a 150 GB limit per month, so streaming movies is out for me, but I did it for the shipping.

I used to put together a shopping list and try to save money on shipping by bundling stuff. I don't do that anymore. If I need something, I order it and voila, two days later some guy drops it at my door. Simply amazing.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Did you bring all this rain to NH Suntzu? I have never tried the prime because most things you buy come with free shipping on orders over $25 and nowadays it does not take much to get over $25.00. Maybe there are more features to it than I know about and it might be worth it but I never have done it.

I'm on it too, it's worth it for me just for the shipping, the videos are just gravy.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    I've been a Prime member for a year or so too. I have a Kindle and you can borrow a book a month from Amazon if the book is "Prime" eligible.

Between the free books, free shipping and streaming movies I know I've more than made up the cost.

Like lionaround said, I don't worry about shipping anymore. If I see something I want to order, I do it. The only caveat is that you have to order it directly from Amazon. Third party sellers don't count in the free shipping.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I too am an avid Amazon shopper and use the Prime free two day shipping. One of Amazon's largest distribution centers is just down the street, I usually receive my purchase the next day. Cannot beat it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    We got a free trial when my daughter got her kinlde fire. I didn't think it would be that useful, but I was wrong. One thing that always annoyed with the $25.00 free shipping was that some items took forever to be delivered. With Prime two-day shipping, it comes fast. When my daughter had her back surgery last November, we ordered a bunch of stuff to make her more confortable, raised toilet seat, bed wedge, a special end table to put food closer to her...... We were able to shop from the hospital and all of the stuff was there before she was discharged. It would have taken me a day or more shopping just to get most of it. I don't think I would have even though of the end table and it made the most difference. Instead, I ordered it all right from her bedside.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Speaking of which, the UPS man delivered my order from yesterday a few minutes ago. Just in time for the cup final, a Blackhawks set of wood covers, a Blackhawk golf towel and a pair of Blackhawk earrings for the wife.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Speaking of which, the UPS man delivered my order from yesterday a few minutes ago. Just in time for the cup final, a Blackhawks set of wood covers, a Blackhawk golf towel and a pair of Blackhawk earrings for the wife.
    Go Bruins....

VIP Member
    Are they still playin' hockey?

The flip side of free shipping is the no hassle free returns! No trying to sell a vendor on getting an RMA, etc. If it's postal size the mailman can even pick it up at your mailbox. Like others here, I often will buy one inexpensive item then decide I want a second one, go Amazon shopping! I even know a couple folks that buy groceries that way, though I haven't looked at that yet.

I've spent a lot of money with Amazon over the years, but I've started to avoid them lately because in spite of carrying some gun related products, they contributed heavily to the recent gun "buyback" here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...program-2013-1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Links