Fox getting chickens; have 20ga - which shells?

This is a discussion on Fox getting chickens; have 20ga - which shells? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We have a pocket farm and are losing chickens to a fox. In broad daylight, we've seen it several times. We have a 20ga shotgun; ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fox getting chickens; have 20ga - which shells?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Fox getting chickens; have 20ga - which shells?

We have a pocket farm and are losing chickens to a fox. In broad daylight, we've seen it several times. We have a 20ga shotgun; should we see what we can do to ruin his day? If so, what type of shells would you suggest, and how far away might they be effective?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    use the tightest choke you have, and I'd suggest a #6 shell.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Teach the chickens to shoot.

Is the fox getting them out in the farm yard or in the coop? If the coop, is there a particular hole he is using for access? If so, then you can try one of those leg traps to see if you can catch him. Then it's easy for a 9mm, .380, .45 or whatever to finish the job. I did a woodchuck with this method and my daughter stuffed it and it's on my bench at work.

Fox-in-Trap-animal-rights-1085629_371_327_0.jpg
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    Turkey choke and #4 or even #2 shot if the fox is farther away. I use #6 for pheasant. I would prefer a heavier shot for the fox.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Leg traps may not be legal. Check first and look under "nuisance" trapping statutes. There's a difference in many states between trapping for profit and ridding one's self of nuisance animals. A Havaheart trap will do the job if you don't want to kill it, but release it many miles away. They work well.

Foxes aren't tough. #4 or 6 shot will be fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd run some of this around the pen too... I haven't had any problems with mine since I put this stuff up.
    PoultryNet™ & PoultryNet™ Plus 12/48/3 Electric Netting
    Electric Fencing - Premier1Supplies

I have mine rigged up with a DIY battery backup(Deep cycle battery) for when the power cuts. Also have 10W of solar going to it too.
    Only problem I have now is occassionally skunks try to get in and that never ends well. The fence keeps them out but then the yard smells like skunk for a few weeks.

edit: Make sure you get the double spiked version too. It seems to have a better hold/grip in the ground and it's easier to just be able to press them into the ground with your boot.

My birds just have this for the protection around the coop. So far it doesn't seem to hurt them. They rarely get into it, but they just cluck and run away. I've been popped 3 or 4 times and it will ring your bell good for a second or two but you'll live.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Reminds me of a funny (true) story of one day at the farm co-op

I've taken out a few foxes but I've never shot one.

I like the idea of a Hot Fence. I knew a guy 40 years ago peed on one once. Poor guy couldn't walk for a week. ...No...it wasn't me
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'd run some of this around the pen too... I haven't had any problems with mine since I put this stuff up.
    PoultryNet™ & PoultryNet™ Plus 12/48/3 Electric Netting
    Electric Fencing - Premier1Supplies

I've been popped 3 or 4 times and it will ring your bell good for a second or two but you'll live.
    I wonder how well this fence would do as a deterrent against plain old trespassers?? I have a constant trespasser problem. It seriously infuriates me

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Get a good turkey load, and if you've got a removable choke, a turkey/XFull choke as well. .22 a good bet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I wonder how well this fence would do as a deterrent against plain old trespassers?? I have a constant trespasser problem. It seriously infuriates me
    Heh... I'd LOVE to see the security vid on that one!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Heh... I'd LOVE to see the security vid on that one!
    TBT what I wanna do is string Concertina Wire and make it a Hot Fence as well. I think the folks at City Hall would be irritated tho.

If I had NV cams on it it would look like a coyote route at times. As I said it really infuriates me.

Distinguished Member
    We have an occasional problem with raccoons thinking our ducks would be a good meal.
    Our solution is an M&P15-22 with subsonic ammo and a can... no need to bother the neighbors.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    ... no need to bother the neighbors.
    If there's only one or two shots, our neighbors sometimes call and ask if we got 'im.
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    If there's only one or two shots, our neighbors sometimes call and ask if we got 'im.
    Yeah, out here in the hills of Appalachia, hearing a shot or two is a bit different than when I lived in San Bernarndino... Can't say I miss California...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

.22 HP . If you use a shotgun You might kill some chickens if he's anywhere close to them. #4 turkey load will have about a 30" pattern at 35 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links