Somebody broke into my truck last night

This is a discussion on Somebody broke into my truck last night within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My truck sits outside since our garage has my wife's van and my two Volkswagens in it. We live in a gated community with patrolled ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Somebody broke into my truck last night

My truck sits outside since our garage has my wife's van and my two Volkswagens in it. We live in a gated community with patrolled security. I went out to my truck this morning and there was a bunch of stuff from the console laying in my driver's seat. I looked around and the only things missing were two pill bottles and a box of brush toothpicks. The pill bottles were old ones with the labels removed that I kept quarters in for toll roads. One of them only had 1 quarter in it after yesterday's travels and the other had 5 FMJ 38 Special rounds in it (last range trip I had carried my snub out to the truck from the range loaded with range rounds and then swapped out to my carry rounds and just put those in the empty pill bottle and tossed it in the console).

Apparently I left my truck unlocked last night. I got home from a meeting about 10pm and my wife had texted me the alarm was on, so I was in a hurry to get in the house to disarm it. Apparently in my haste I forgot to lock my truck door. First time I've done that as I'm usually paranoid about it.

I called the Sheriff's office and a deputy came by. I told him there was no damage to the truck and what was missing. He asked me where the gun was and I told him in my right pocket. He asked if I had a concealed permit and I pulled it from my wallet and he didn't even look at it.

My bigger concern was if they found the ammo would they come back figuring I had guns. He said in the last couple days there were 4 events just on our street of the same thing. It's called car hopping. There have been several rashes of it in the neighborhood and they have an idea of who it may be. He said they're not really targeting anyone, just crimes of opportunity looking for unlocked cars and taking GPS, fishing gear, change. He said one lady down the street they used her garage door opener in her car and then stole some things inside her garage. I told the officer my garage openers were in my truck, but were tucked up in an overhead bin not visible. Luckily my garage doors are also wired into my home alarm, so if they had opened the garage door the alarm would have gone off.

So in the end, they didn't break anything on my truck, they stole 1 quarter, 5 rounds of FMJ 38 special, and a box of tooth picks (that one really irritates me). The hitch pin, hitch bar, the bottle full of $10 worth of quarters under the back seat, my ipod charger/radio transmitter, about 20 CDs, and my golf clubs in the back of the truck (in my locked camper shell) they didn't touch. They got me for about $3.75.

I had a great talk with the Deputy about firearms, never leaving a gun in my car except while at work and even then in a safe (he was interested in seeing the safe I have mounted in my truck), the ammo shortage, several ranges in the area (he told me about a nice one I hadn't been to yet), he asked if I had kids and if I had taken them shooting, etc. I told him I was a stickler for gun security and kept my stuff locked in a large safe that weighed several thousand pounds. He said, "Are you one of those doomsday preppers?" I laughed and said, "No. I shoot between 5,000 and 8,000 rounds per year, so having a certain level of inventory was just standard operating procedure."

So I'm not going to keep my garage door opener nor my golf clubs in the back of my truck anymore. Thinking about motion lights and cameras around the outside of the house too (the wireless cameras are fairly cheap now).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Why'd you post this in Off Topic/Humor, bugdude?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Maybe finding the ammo will give them the idea that is the wrong house to try a break in.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It was "off topic" since it really didn't involve guns. Not really sure where else it would have gone.

Some fool risked getting shot or arrested for $3.75 and 5 rounds of .38. That's pretty funny if you really think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Maybe finding the ammo will give them the idea that is the wrong house to try a break in.
    I thought about posting a note on the back of my truck that reads, "If you want the rest of that ammo, it will be coming towards you at 1000 feet per second."

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    Some fool risked getting shot or arrested for $3.75 and 5 rounds of .38. That's pretty funny if you really think about it.
    Sad and pitiful really. Probably a stupid teenager that lives in the neighborhood if they are scarfing change out of unlocked cars. They don't care enough to break in cars that are locked.
    MrsHB likes this.

Leave a note in your truck saying "Smile for the camera." They'll probably either steal the rig, or never mess with you again. And if it's only unlocked cars, they probably won't steal the truck.
    Something witty

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    In that context I suppose you could think of it as comical. I read stories like this and all I think about is the turmoil it puts people like Bug Dude in and I just end up shaking my head in dismay. It just makes me sick to my stomach.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    On the couple of times i did not lock my truck doors same thing happened to me . Stole change from the ash tray , They did not take my Barry Manilow CD's so i think it was kids
    BugDude, msgt/ret and Stoveman like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    On the couple of times i did not lock my truck doors same thing happened to me . Stole change from the ash tray , They did not take my Barry Manilow CD's so i think it was kids
    Please tell us you're just yankin' our chains Welder??

Barry Manilow STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mikedare and welder516 like this.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    They didn't touch my Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller, or Jimi Hendrix CDs so it had to be stupid kids with bad taste in music.

Most assuredly so Sir!!!!!!!!

Sorry man. With the price if ammo I really needed those .38s for my LCR. The quarter was just a bonus.

I actually used to have this happen to me all the time. I had a Jeep that either had a soft top on or nothing at all. Locking the doors on a Jeep with a soft top is just asking to have it slashed and the one time I locked the center console someone busted the lock on it.

What kind of safe do you have mounted in your truck and how do you have it mounted? I'm trying to figure out a good setup for my truck that is fairly inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It was "off topic" since it really didn't involve guns. Not really sure where else it would have gone.
    Fair enough. I think it'd work under Home (and away from Home) defense. It doesn't necessarily have to involve guns to go there, I'd say. Part of a solid home defense plan after all does include security measures and what not.

Glad they didn't take your Barry Manilow CDs, though.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links