Remember the kid that got suspended for the NRA shirt? He's now facing Charges

This is a discussion on Remember the kid that got suspended for the NRA shirt? He's now facing Charges within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The West Virginia eighth-grader who was suspended and arrested in late April after he refused to remove a t-shirt supporting the National Rifle Association appeared ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Remember the kid that got suspended for the NRA shirt? He's now facing Charges

  1. #1
    Member Array dcdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    186

    Remember the kid that got suspended for the NRA shirt? He's now facing Charges

    The West Virginia eighth-grader who was suspended and arrested in late April after he refused to remove a t-shirt supporting the National Rifle Association appeared in court this week and was formally charged with obstructing an officer.

    14-year-old Jared Marcum now faces a $500 fine and a maximum of one year in prison.

    Here are all the phone numbers for the interested parties, please call them and voice your displeasure over what's happening to this young man.

    Logan Police Department (West Virginia)Chief of Police, David White (304) 752-6535

    Logan County School District Superintendent of Schools, Wilma Zigmond (304) 792-2060

    Prosecuting Attorney Sabrina Deskins Amick (304) 792-8670

    The 14-year-old kid arrested over his pro-NRA shirt now faces a year in jail
    Last edited by dcdalton; June 18th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,870
    This DA is insane if she doesn't drop the case.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Just because a person supports our cause, doesn't mean they support it correctly. The kid is going to get community service and that will be about it. The reality is that if you get upset when the police are around and start mouthing off, there is a good chance you are going to jail. Is it right? Most likely not, but there is a very thin line between trying to state your case or reason and interfering with an officer doing their job.

    The correct way for the kid to have acted is to ask why the shirt was not allowed, after that, turned the shirt inside out and went about his day. Told his parents when he got home and let them address it to the school board. Once the police were involved he should have requested his parents and kept his mouth shut.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,870
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Just because a person supports our cause, doesn't mean they support it correctly. The kid is going to get community service and that will be about it. The reality is that if you get upset when the police are around and start mouthing off, there is a good chance you are going to jail. Is it right? Most likely not, but there is a very thin line between trying to state your case or reason and interfering with an officer doing their job.

    The correct way for the kid to have acted is to ask why the shirt was not allowed, after that, turned the shirt inside out and went about his day. Told his parents when he got home and let them address it to the school board. Once the police were involved he should have requested his parents and kept his mouth shut.
    Apparently you're not a big believer in civil disobedience.
    oakchas, NONAME762 and dcdalton like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,935
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Just because a person supports our cause, doesn't mean they support it correctly. The kid is going to get community service and that will be about it. The reality is that if you get upset when the police are around and start mouthing off, there is a good chance you are going to jail. Is it right? Most likely not, but there is a very thin line between trying to state your case or reason and interfering with an officer doing their job.

    The correct way for the kid to have acted is to ask why the shirt was not allowed, after that, turned the shirt inside out and went about his day. Told his parents when he got home and let them address it to the school board. Once the police were involved he should have requested his parents and kept his mouth shut.
    This is America, not the soviet union. This child deserves none of which he is getting....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This is America, not the soviet union. This child deserves none of which he is getting....
    We were not there, we don't have any idea what he acutally did. I am a strong supporter in getting rules changed that I don't agree with, but following those rules until I get them changed.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,796
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Just because a person supports our cause, doesn't mean they support it correctly. The kid is going to get community service and that will be about it. The reality is that if you get upset when the police are around and start mouthing off, there is a good chance you are going to jail. Is it right? Most likely not, but there is a very thin line between trying to state your case or reason and interfering with an officer doing their job.

    The correct way for the kid to have acted is to ask why the shirt was not allowed, after that, turned the shirt inside out and went about his day. Told his parents when he got home and let them address it to the school board. Once the police were involved he should have requested his parents and kept his mouth shut.
    If he did as you suggested this would not have made the media...which I think is a good thing in this case. You do realize that many times the ACLU supports cases like this. I am sure that if the parents went to the school board everything would be just hunky dory.

    And.....how do you know he did mouth off to the LEO? That is an assumption on your part. Innocent until proven guilty and all that right?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This is America, not the soviet union. This child deserves none of which he is getting....
    In Bold: Sadly, I am not so sure anymore.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  10. #9
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Just because a person supports our cause, doesn't mean they support it correctly. The kid is going to get community service and that will be about it. The reality is that if you get upset when the police are around and start mouthing off, there is a good chance you are going to jail. Is it right? Most likely not, but there is a very thin line between trying to state your case or reason and interfering with an officer doing their job.

    The correct way for the kid to have acted is to ask why the shirt was not allowed, after that, turned the shirt inside out and went about his day. Told his parents when he got home and let them address it to the school board. Once the police were involved he should have requested his parents and kept his mouth shut.
    Got a source for your assertions? If so, please post it. From what I have read, the teacher is the one who disrupted the educational process by getting her knickers in a knot about a t-shirt that IIRC did not violate the school's dress code. I don't know what the kid said, if anything, but would love to read your source.

    You seem to be OK with the kid being found guilty of wearing a t-shirt to school and not taking it off when a female teacher wants to see his abs. If it were a male teacher telling a female student to do the same thing, he would have gotten fired for sexual harassment. Further, the kid was "charged" with disturbing the educational environment - at lunch, in the lunchroom. The only education going on there is kids seeing how they can swap food for a better deal - and the female teacher who wanted to see some young kids abs.

    From the article

    The school district’s policy doesn’t prohibit shirts promoting Second Amendment rights.
    Also from the article - I am not sure I have words for this, although, we do not know if there is any spin by the author here.

    Adkins [the cop] asserts that the 14-year-old boy did not follow his orders to stop talking. This verbosity somehow prevented Adkins from performing his police duties.
    blitzburgh, dcdalton and TVJ like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,935
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    We were not there, we don't have any idea what he acutally did. I am a strong supporter in getting rules changed that I don't agree with, but following those rules until I get them changed.
    There is no media reports of anything that you have claimed. Trust me there would be, if true. This is a bogus charge, nothing more, nothing less.

    Suntzu
    In Bold: Sadly, I am not so sure anymore.
    Yes sir, made even more evident by this case...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    About 235M out of The Palouse WA
    Posts
    6,900
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    We were not there, we don't have any idea what he acutally did. I am a strong supporter in getting rules changed that I don't agree with, but following those rules until I get them changed.
    You've obviously not committed civil disobediance nor know what it means. (Disclaimer to Mods here. Not looking for trouble or slurring OWS-CMA)
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    You've obviously not committed civil disobediance nor know what it means. (Disclaimer to Mods here. Not looking for trouble or slurring OWS-CMA)
    No I have not committed civil disobedience but I am very aware of what it means. I disagree with it in the vast majority of cases because it is counter-productive. If you disagree with a rule or a law get it changed, but I don't think that breaking that law is the correct thing to do. There are of course exceptions to that, but in most cases I believe it applies.

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    No I have not committed civil disobedience but I am very aware of what it means. I disagree with it in the vast majority of cases because it is counter-productive. If you disagree with a rule or a law get it changed, but I don't think that breaking that law is the correct thing to do. There are of course exceptions to that, but in most cases I believe it applies.
    OK fine, but what did the kid do wrong here to precipitate this event and resulting fall out? He wore a shirt that was within the school's dress code only to be dressed down by a teacher at lunch because she did not like the message she got from the shirt. She orders the kid to remove the shirt and he tells her no. The cops then say the kid almost started a riot. Seems like we have an epic fail here in determining the root cause - hint, it is not the kid.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,043
    I don't see the difference between an NRA T shirt, or a hoodie and baggy pants.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    OK fine, but what did the kid do wrong here to precipitate this event and resulting fall out? He wore a shirt that was within the school's dress code only to be dressed down by a teacher at lunch because she did not like the message she got from the shirt. She orders the kid to remove the shirt and he tells her no. The cops then say the kid almost started a riot. Seems like we have an epic fail here in determining the root cause - hint, it is not the kid.
    You do realize the only side of the story you are getting is the parent's and the kid's, right? Of course their version is that he did no wrong. But the DA evidently believes that the kid did enough to charge him. The way this normally works is that between the two stories is the truth. I doubt the kid is as innocent has he and his parents are trying to make him and I have no doubt the teacher and the officer handled it poorly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

kid suspended for nra shirt

Click on a term to search for related topics.