More stupidity from Mayor Bloomberg...

This is a discussion on More stupidity from Mayor Bloomberg... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bloomy doesn't have enough to do so he's thought up something else to keep YOU busy: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/ny....html?hp&_r=1& When I was visiting my sister-in-law in NJ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: More stupidity from Mayor Bloomberg...

VIP Member

Bloomy doesn't have enough to do so he's thought up something else to keep YOU busy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/ny....html?hp&_r=1&

When I was visiting my sister-in-law in NJ a couple of years ago she told me they have "recycling police". Seriously...they are people who go through your garbage cans and make sure you haven't committed the ultimate recycling crime: mixing paper with glass. If you're caught you get a warning or a fine. How grand to live in The People's Republic of New Jersey.

Thanks to Bloomberg, NYC has gotten as bad, if not worse.

We won't discuss California because it's a lost cause.
    NONAME762 and msgt/ret like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Stupidity from Bloomberg. Isn't that title redundant?
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Bloomy doesn't have enough to do so he's thought up something else to keep YOU busy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/ny....html?hp&_r=1&

When I was visiting my sister-in-law in NJ a couple of years ago she told me they have "recycling police". Seriously...they are people who go through your garbage cans and make sure you haven't committed the ultimate recycling crime: mixing paper with glass. If you're caught you get a warning or a fine. How grand to live in The People's Republic of New Jersey.

Thanks to Bloomberg, NYC has gotten as bad, if not worse.

We won't discuss California because it's a lost cause.
    Wonder how those idiots would feel if I started recycling another kind of waste in that can... Bet they won't dig through that one anymore.
    msgt/ret, WHEC724 and Jeanlouise like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Thumbs down

Once your cans reach the sidewalk they are in the public domain and ANYONE can search through them. I don't set my cans out the night before.
    I set them out the morning of.

But I agree JL...I think it's rather cheeky for any city to pull ship like that on folks. Here the drivers do the checking. The funny thing is people throw out weird stuff like floor lamps that stick out of the cans. The driver sees it and sets it by the can with a note that explains this is the wrong type of a discard and he"s not permitted to pick it up.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Once your cans reach the sidewalk they are in the public domain and ANYONE can search through them. I don't set my cans out the night before.
    I set them out the morning of.

But I agree JL...I think it's rather cheeky for any city to pull ship like that on folks. Here the drivers do the checking. The funny thing is people throw out weird stuff like floor lamps that stick out of the cans. The driver sees it and sets it by the can with a note that explains this is the wrong type of a discard and he"s not permitted to pick it up.
    Her trashcans were in her backyard. Yes, they have the authority to go into peoples backyards and check their garbage cans.
    I suppose I wouldn't care who went through my garbage can if I didn't get fined for some infraction.

There's big money in recycling and I would love to know who owns the recycling companies and which politicians are on their bankroll. Oh wait...it's for the earth.

Lucky for me, our garbage men will take anything they can physically pick up and it doesn't have to be in the can either.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Caveat: I am not for mandatory anything! But somethings need to get done. Our planet is headed toward a disaster if we do not start doing something about it now. So many folks say they fear for what our country is becoming and fear for what our children face. It isn't just the economy or social issues, it is also the health of the planet we need to worry about.

I am sure folks thought it was stupid when it became illegal to dump motor oil and gasoline down the sewer. Quite frankly, for those that say they don't have enough time (like a gentleman in the article said) I say too bad. It is not that hard to seperate things. Folks try to find an excuse to not do anything because we have become one lazy country and only think about ourselves and the short term,

As far as who is making money off of recycling? I don't give a hoot. If there are kickbacks and illegal deals being made then that is a concern of the tax payers for that municipality. The end result is still helping the enviroment. To discount an idea just because some crooked deals could be made is not a reason to not do something. Just because Bloomberg has an idea, one that is not new, does not mean it has to be a bad one. Even the village idiot can get it right once.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Long Live Big Brother!
    Long Live Big Brother!
    [I'm jumping on the Big Brother Bloomberg bandwagon early so I can become a mole and destroy it from within.]

VIP Member
    From the article: The residential program will initially work on a voluntary basis, but officials predict that within a few years, it will be mandatory. New Yorkers who do not separate their food scraps could be subject to fines, just as they are currently if they do not recycle plastic, paper or metal.

This is a far cry from people polluting the waterways with motor oil.

Just how many trash cans does the average citizen need to have in order to live up to Bloombergs (and any other knucklehead) idea of being a good citizen?

If people want to do this...fine, but the idea that they should be forced to is ridiculous. There is a lot of controversy over just how much good recycling does given that the recycling plants use a ton of energy themselves.

I'm not against private companies making a fortune on recycling as long as it's voluntary.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Let's not worry about real problems in the city. Instead focus on making everyone compost.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Caveat: I am not for mandatory anything! But somethings need to get done. Our planet is headed toward a disaster if we do not start doing something about it now. So many folks say they fear for what our country is becoming and fear for what our children face. It isn't just the economy or social issues, it is also the health of the planet we need to worry about.

I am sure folks thought it was stupid when it became illegal to dump motor oil and gasoline down the sewer. Quite frankly, for those that say they don't have enough time (like a gentleman in the article said) I say too bad. It is not that hard to seperate things. Folks try to find an excuse to not do anything because we have become one lazy country and only think about ourselves and the short term,

As far as who is making money off of recycling? I don't give a hoot. If there are kickbacks and illegal deals being made then that is a concern of the tax payers for that municipality. The end result is still helping the enviroment. To discount an idea just because some crooked deals could be made is not a reason to not do something. Just because Bloomberg has an idea, one that is not new, does not mean it has to be a bad one. Even the village idiot can get it right once.
    Suntzu, Mother Earth has survived for billions of years without humans impacting her! (unless you're a creationist!) She will be here long after we humans either evolve or commit sill-e-cide! Oil and Gas are just the remains of the previous top of the food chain! As for the recycling, After building 8 re-cycling processing* plant that all failed, I fine it farcical that green people don't have a real clue of how to process waste!

* the eight plant all had different processes and use Taxpayer funds to build and dismantle when they failed! Just like the solar plants that King "O" is spending $3.6 billion on, the company I worked for built the pilot plant using the same process for Southern California Edison in the early 90s, SCE could not make that plant viable in a commercial environment, however our MaHa-I-Know-Better is urinating our tax dollar into these projects! They cost four time more than a Nuclear Plant to build per MWHr and only operate at a 30% efficiency! Another note the Solar Energy is mandated to sell for 300% more than Natural Gas cost! Hope you enjoy the feeling you get when the drill (Our Government) drives the screw in!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Suntzu, Mother Earth has survived for billions of years without humans impacting her! (unless you're a creationist!) She will be here long after we humans either evolve or commit sill-e-cide! Oil and Gas are just the remains of the previous top of the food chain! As for the recycling, After building 8 re-cycling processing* plant that all failed, I fine it farcical that green people don't have a real clue of how to process waste!

* the eight plant all had different processes and use Taxpayer funds to build and dismantle when they failed! Just like the solar plants that King "O" is spending $3.6 billion on, the company I worked for built the pilot plant using the same process for Southern California Edison in the early 90s, SCE could not make that plant viable in a commercial environment, however our MaHa-I-Know-Better is urinating our tax dollar into these projects! They cost four time more than a Nuclear Plant to build per MWHr and only operate at a 30% efficiency! Another note the Solar Energy is mandated to sell for 300% more than Natural Gas cost! Hope you enjoy the feeling you get when the drill (Our Government) drives the screw in!
    I am not going to get into a long and drawn out debate which is not easily answered in one or two post. Fact is folks on both sides have arguements. Intelligent agurments. Only a fool categriclly states something as fact and that their answer is the definitive and accurate one.

I will say this. Of course mother earth will survive. I am concerned about the the human life on this planet in the near future. If you disagree then that is cool. But not one persons answer is the end all solution or correct one.

BTW: Please post the names and locations of these plants that failed. I am very concerned about how tax dollars are used and am very interested in finding out the history of these plants. Did they fail because of reasons other than the concept was flawed, such as bad management, cost over runs, etc... I would appreciate the feedback. Also the stats about the cost (4x) of Nuclear plants vs recycle. I am also interested in the 300% figure. I too am opposed to mandates but I have not seen a figure that high that is universally accepted (BTW: I just googled it and can't find one that says 300%)

EDIT: It is not always about money.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I am all for recycling.

In fact, they began putting large dump bins around our city from a company named Rumpkie and I have contributed much to them. It has cut down the garbage I toss out each week by over 1/2. That's a lot to cut down.

They are even expanding to take glass where the first go-round they did not. It may not save the Planet but it sure can't hurt to recycle either. Being good stewards of what God has given to we humans, ie the Earth is what this is all about.

However, going to the extremes that J.L. mentioned in her post will have a detrimental effect upon recycling. Forcing people to do stupid crap with their crap is counterproductive and will cause them to resist the recycling effort. We don't need Recycling Police.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I would enjoy (kinda) recycling if we had it. No where near where I live is there a pick up for recycling. If any is to be done it is strictly a do it yourself project. Even the largest (Waste Management) does not pick up recyclables here. We used to have a recycling station about seven miles away that I used for cardboard and aluminum cans, but for some reason they closed, so now everything goes in the garbage.

....and the people of New York just keep taking it like the good little commoners they are. How pathetic.

No sympathy for any of them. Now I understand why so many were pleading for the Governments help during Hurricane Sandy....because they can't fend or think for themselves.

....has anyone heard a plea for help from the good people of Oklahoma after the devastating Tornadoes last month? Nope.....and you won't.

If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere? What a joke.....most New Yuckers wouldn't last five minutes in Oklahoma.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Stupidity from Bloomberg. Isn't that title redundant?
    Funny. My first thought was that "stupidity" and "bloomberg" are synonimous.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links