Longmire

Longmire

This is a discussion on Longmire within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For those of you who don't know, Longmire is a TV show on A&E about a county sheriff in Wyoming (based on a series of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Longmire

VIP Member

Longmire

For those of you who don't know, Longmire is a TV show on A&E about a county sheriff in Wyoming (based on a series of books). It is a pretty good show.

Anyway, I was watching an episode (I think the one from 2 weeks ago) and had to laugh at the hollywood gun BS that they put in one of the scenes.

Walt Longmire, the tough and rugged sheriff of Absaroka County, Wyoming was called to a person's residence because the owner found a dead body in her compost pile. While Sheriff Longmire and his deputy were examining the crime scene on a chilly day, the owner of the property comes over to offer them a cup of coffee. As the owner is handing Sheriff Longmire the coffee cup, her jacket moves in such a way that it exposes her holster firearm that is on her hip. Sheriff Longmire notices the firearm and is visibly startled by the mere sight of the firearm...So much so that he completely freezes, stops talking mid sentence and stares at the gun with his eyes nearly bulging out of his eye-sockets. After a prolonged awkward moment the woman then states, "it's registered...it's a Smith & Wesson 40..."

So apparently, Wyoming has gun registration and the sheriff of Absaroka County is frightened by citizens who carry holstered firearms on their own property in rural Wyoming.

Feel free to share the BS gun stuff on the shows you watch.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

The only "gun show" I've watched lately is Justified. Only the first season, but there at least it was pretty good on the gun front, except for the "aim for the heart" deal. Never heard of an instructor teaching that.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Every show that comes out of Hollyweird tries to convince the viewers that guns are required to be registered everywhere and can immediately be traced back to the current owners.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    The only "gun show" I've watched lately is Justified. Only the first season, but there at least it was pretty good on the gun front, except for the "aim for the heart" deal. Never heard of an instructor teaching that.
    He also shoots from the hip more often than not. But I agree, it's one of few shows worth watching. And I like that its getting people into Elmore Leonard.

I just read the book "Trapped" by April Christofferson. The hero is pinned down by 2 men with rifles a couple hundred yards away. After being fired upon 28 times, he is able to determine there are 2 men by the different calibers being fired at him. The author is a liberal dunce, and I bought the book without reading the cover, it was rough let me tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    I just read the book "Trapped" by April Christofferson. The hero is pinned down by 2 men with rifles a couple hundred yards away. After being fired upon 28 times, he is able to determine there are 2 men by the different calibers being fired at him. The author is a liberal dunce, and I bought the book without reading the cover, it was rough let me tell you.
    You could always use it as a target the next time you wanna blow thru some ammo.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Every show that comes out of Hollyweird tries to convince the viewers that guns are required to be registered everywhere and can immediately be traced back to the current owners.
    What's a registered gun? I like used guns. Gals with guns don't scare me.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    I love Walking Dead because they never seem to run out of ammo and rarely have to go searching for any...its just there...magically.

Oh, and they can do head shots from 1/4 mile away. Very impressive.
    zonker1986 and onacoma like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    There's a legitimate reason why my father called the television "The idiot box" and why I don't watch it for anything other than news.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Living in Wyoming, I caught the "It's registered" comment as well. Longmire seems to be set in Wyoming, filmed in New Mexico, and written in California

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Meanwhile on Glades (Better in my opinion), the point was made that there was no gun registration in FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    There's a legitimate reason why my father called the television "The idiot box" and why I don't watch it for anything other than news.
    Mine called it the Boob Tube (Never asked him why). I call computers the Idiot Box.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    You must have different stations than I get and I have a lot of stations...I haven't seen "news" in a long, long time.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    You must have different stations than I get and I have a lot of stations...I haven't seen "news" in a long, long time.
    Yeah but it's still the best source to quickly find out about breaking events, even if half of it is confused misinformation. It's also good for breaking weather reports. Beyond that and rented movies, it's just something else to dust.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I'm just happy when I see cops on TV keep their finger off the trigger until they are on target. I think it drives my wife crazy when I point out poor gun handling skills on TV shows and movies. Seriously though...how much would it cost to bring in an instructor for a day to give these people the most basic gun handling lessons so they don't look like idiots on screen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links