Provo Utah

Provo Utah

This is a discussion on Provo Utah within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been looking at the gun laws in Utah and I have a friend who lives in Salt Lake City now who has been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Provo Utah

Provo Utah

I have been looking at the gun laws in Utah and I have a friend who lives in Salt Lake City now who has been telling me what a great place it is, and after doing some research I am really starting to like the looks of this place.

Reading up on it, Provo is apparently the most conservative city in the US. I like that. It is surrounded by beautiful mountains which my wife loves. There are tons of trails for hiking and 4X4ing, and the place is just beautiful from what I can see. Seems to have a fairly low crime rate as well.

I'd like to hear from any of our members who live in the area and hear what you like and dislike about it. We won't be moving any time soon (if at all) but I am keeping my eye on the open jobs page of the company I work for. I would hate to leave Tennessee since I do love this state but, I have to say, Provo is starting to grow on me the more I read about it. Seems like a well kept secret.

Thanks yall.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    You can't move there Mike. UT_Mike just doesn't have the right ring to it!
    TN_Mike, msgt/ret and ANGLICO like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You will be in the same state at the owners of Magholder, Concealment Solutions Hoslters, and The Gun Dudes (podcasters)!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    My dad and I used to ski out there every year. 'Very cool place & generally nice people. I saw very little thuggery out there.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You can't move there Mike. UT_Mike just doesn't have the right ring to it!
    Yeah, but Moab_Mike would knock the socks off the naming game. Though, in Provo he'd have to at least consider Mormon_Mike as a possible alternative.

Utah is indeed a beautiful place. Salt Lake City is a bit city, and feels like it in many respects. It's crowded, busy, noisy, dirty in many of the same ways as many other cities. But it's in a great location. Many folks can get away with not living anywhere near the "heart" of the city's congestion. Lots of beautiful spots to live in, most things are within easy commute, and the glorious mountains (and related activities [hiking, skiing, hunting]) are just a stone's throw away. If you're into skiing, frankly some of the world's best spots are there. Check out Alta and Snowbird soon after a decent snowfall, and you will absolutely be amazed.

And, with the "Moab_Mike" moniker, know that Moab and it's stellar hiking/trail opportunities are just a short drive SE from SLC. Can make for fabulous weekends getting off the beaten path.
    welder516 and ANGLICO like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's all a mental exercise at this point. I am scheduled to go out to Vegas again for more training later this summer so I plan on taking a drive up to the SLC area one weekend and at least looking around to get a feel.

I have heard though that is you aren't Mormon, then living in Provo isn't a good idea. Seems the LDS folks aren't too tolerant of non LDS types. And we are not religious, not by a long shot. So maybe Provo wouldn't be a great place for us. I still really like the looks of the area though.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think Provo is a little more ghetto than the other cities in Utah County but not too bad. I lived there for a few years and then moved to a smaller town outside Provo. The one thing you notice here is that the place is full of beautiful women. It's awesome. Another thing you notice here is that everyone has guns. Next weekend, our neighborhood has a shooting event planned. 40 - 50 people usually show up when we do this.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And live next door to Donnie and Marie? No thanks.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I like Marie. Donnie, not so much. My sister used to live there and loved it.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    I've heard that if you're not a Mormon then you are a second class citizen to some. I have no personal experience with the area though.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I've heard that if you're not a Mormon then you are a second class citizen to some. I have no personal experience with the area though.
    Having done some business out there, I never got that sense. It seems like many of the Mormons out there are quite secular.

Now trying to convince my Catholic in-laws that Baptists go to Heaven too? That's another story.
    atctimmy and BigJon10125 like this.

Provo is fairly nice, Orem is as well. Lehi is growing fairly quickly but, there are plenty of places to live that are nice out here. I just would not live in the sprawl that is SLC and the surrounding communities. North or south of SLC is your best bet. I live north and a friend of mine lives south, we both work on the local Gov't Air Patch though. His commute is quite a bit longer than mine is.
    Libertas Vel Mors

I just bought a house in Lehi, Utah. its a great place to live, some times the mormons can be very standoffish( I'm not dissing on them), I have had nabors that wont talk to me because im not mormon. other then that its a great place.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Sponsor
    You won't find a better state for gun rights (Fully legal for me to walk into an elementary school where my wife used to work while carrying concealed). Take a look at Logan, where SHTF Gear Holsters are made. Its in the norther portion near the Idaho border.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshp689 View Post
    I just bought a house in Lehi, Utah. its a great place to live, some times the mormons can be very standoffish( I'm not dissing on them), I have had nabors that wont talk to me because im not mormon. other then that its a great place.
    Don't worry Josh! I'll talk to you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links