Razors

This is a discussion on Razors within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Any straight razor users here? Of course I mean for shaving. I got into using them several years ago and would never go back to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Razors

Razors

Any straight razor users here? Of course I mean for shaving. I got into using them several years ago and would never go back to plastic. It is noticeable how much money you can save also. A good razor of good steel will last several lifetimes I think.I also think if the razor is sharp as should be the shave is closer. I have people tell me they are afraid they will cut themselves badly with a straight razor but although while learning you may get nicks you won't cut badly. I think most everyone would stop cutting before it got to bad.

2. Remove Ads

You mean like THESE?
    Zsnake likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

I only buy straight razors so I can watch snails crawl along the edge. They always survive. It's strange.
    atctimmy and ANGLICO like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I inherited a razor and got started using it. There are several sites on the net about them and lots of users. Would have thought there would be some here. I know there are some old enough to shave.

VIP Member
    I would be having toilet paper all over my face and neck . No way
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    I have five, but my favorite is my Hart. It has blued steel and black scales. I call it my tactical razor.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    My razor needs 120v.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I only buy straight razors so I can watch snails crawl along the edge. They always survive. It's strange.
    Thank you Colonel Kilgore.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

A Hart is a good one. I like the,I think 1/2 inch. The 3/4 is just to big for me to handle well. The soap makes a big difference I think. I like the kind you can get on the net that has French clay in it.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Thank you Colonel Kilgore.
    THANK you! I'm glad somebody got that reference, I was beginning to think I was going crazy... oops, hold a sec, the snail fell off.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I use a double edge safety blade in a Gilette Super Speed from 1949 that was my grandfather's, with soap in a mug and a boar hair brush. I also briefly tried a Rolls Razor from the early 1900s but couldn't get it sharp enough.

I haven't delved into straight-razor shaving at this point. To me it's much like muzzle-loading firearms. Much as I enjoy my oldie cartridge arms, the muzzle-loading arms don't have any appeal. Same with straight razors which are a little too primitive to my way of thinking.

Our youngest son has dabbled with shaving with straight razors a bit. We spent some time with him last month when he was on leave and he does a workmanlike job with a straight razor. Don't know how he finds time to practice much during the week. He's currently serving in the Marine Corps.

Odd that a razor thread came up just now. Earlier this evening we went out to eat over in a tiny town about an hour from here. After we finished around 8:00 we noticed that the antique store across the side street from the restaurant was still open. Went inside to find lots of goodies. Not much time to look at books and such but I located these three razors and my wife a Carnival Glass serving dish. Though the individual items added up to a bit more, $30 carried it all home. The Gillette Red Tip Super Speed from 1955 and the Gillette heavy-handle Tech from the late 1930s-early 1940s were run-of-the-mill razors but the old Single-Ring Gillette in the damaged travel case with some of its accessories was an interesting pig-in-a-poke.

Got home and found that it dates to 1916 and the ugly gunk coating it dissolved in Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner. Figured I'd find a silver-plated razor worn through to show mostly brass but instead found a gold-plated razor with no brassing at all. Was very surprised. It looks much different now than it did in the above photo.

I have a decent silver-plated 1909 example of the same model and it is still an effective shaving instrument. Got to watch the blade/head angle as one shaves or it'll sneak up on you and bite you. Still, it probably represented comfort and convenience to the straight-razor shaving man of the early decades of the 20th century. The early Gillette razors were considered important enough acquisitions that each razor was individually serial numbered just like a firearm up until around 1930 so the razors may be dated through reference materials.

The 1909 Gillette Single Ring

The "daily driver," a 1934-36 vintage Gillette Aristocrat actually used most often for shaving. Almost makes you feel like Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, or Humphrey Bogart to shave with it. Now if it'd only make me look like Gary Cooper...
    maxwell97, pistola and JoJoGunn like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    I'm not big on shaving in general but I'm thinking of getting a straight just because I'm a sharpening geek.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pignut View Post
    A Hart is a good one. I like the,I think 1/2 inch. The 3/4 is just to big for me to handle well. The soap makes a big difference I think. I like the kind you can get on the net that has French clay in it.
    I am a fan of either Queen Charlotte Soap's Vostok, which has a great menthol kick or any offering from Mike's Natural Soaps. Both are US artisan companies. If I didnt like the menthol, then Mike's would be all I would use. It's a great value and works superbly with great lather and protection.

For those interested Badger & Blade - Home is, IMHO, the best shaving forum.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I save a lot of money on razors too. I've had a beard since 1974.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links