Bubba a bad word? (a small rant)

Bubba a bad word? (a small rant)

This is a discussion on Bubba a bad word? (a small rant) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This afternoon I had the usual duty to take my 74 year old mother to her regular check up. As usual I go through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubba a bad word? (a small rant)

VIP Member

Talking Bubba a bad word? (a small rant)

This afternoon I had the usual duty to take my 74 year old mother to her regular check up. As usual I go through the "hunting for a parking space" routine in the hospital's multi-level parking garage. At the third level, I happen to go by a car whose owner just started his engine. I applied my brakes and as I prepared to manouver to let the car out, this other vehicle comes out around the corner and the driver claims that he saw it first. I just stare at the guy smiling at his boldness since there was no way in hell he could have seen the exiting vehicle where he was coming from. It is here I make the mistake of letting my mouth loose and say : "Darn! You must have magnificent eysight!" Well, the fella whose accent was either New Jersey or New York starts mouthing off doing a passable Soprano's imitation. I tried reasoning but I could not get a word in edgewise. At this time I start to feel for the person trying to get out of the parking space so I turn to Tony S. and say: "Keep the space Bubba, it will make you feel better." I know, I should have kept my mouth shut....

Oh my God! Tony S. just loses it! First he takes umbrage that I called him Bubba with selected cusses, then proceeds to inform me that he is LEO (which I doubt) and then challenges me to wait for him while he parks and then he will show me who the Bubba is or words to that effect. I just shook my head and drove away. I was not going to get into a tiffy with this idiot. Just not worth it.

I eventually parked in the top level right by the elevator and took Mom to the Doc's office. I had all scanners up in case Tony S. decided to push his luck but I never saw him again.

There is certain level of idiocy rampant with some of the NJ/NY population. Some really think that they are as bad as the fictional characters they see in HBO. Why do they emulate them is beyond me, but to pull a tough guy act in a place where poeple pack guns bothe legally and not is a death wish waiting to happen. And I only see this attitude with people from the NJ/NY area, why is beyond me.

And before anybody jumps to defend hometown, I'll let you know that I work at a hotel and some of my favorite people are NY Giants fans. Loud bunch, drinkers and will literally drag you with them to party on and off property. Even a couple (more like half the damn bar) of NY Finest assisted me with an incident with a drunken & belligerant guest. The average NY/NJ is more than welcome and appreciated by yours truly.

My other question would be: Is Bubba a bad word up north? If so how bad and can anybody give us an example in english?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Bubba means Redneck around here.

To call a Yankee a Bubba is the ultimate insult. You did good !

Personally, I no use for idiots that push their weight around. If he was an LEO he would have shown you his ID first. What a jerk.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    If he was a LEO, I doubt that would have actually happened. I'm sure there are jerk LEO's who off-duty are just awful. However I have yet to meet one who was not the calmest and nicest person that I know - on and off-duty.

This guy sounds like he should have been fired long ago - assuming he was even telling the truth.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Some folks are fine examples of what not to be. You did well.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

When running a boats up and down the Intracoastal Waterway we developed a certain paranoia about boats registered from the NY and NJ ports followed by boats with a Miami home port. They never understood that this was the water, not the rush hour freeway....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I have run across a fair share of rude off duty LEOs. One at our local pistol permit office is a raging alcoholic who is onlyon rubber gun patrol because they can't have him elsewhere. That said they are in the minority.

Being from NY and not far from NYC I gotta say that it is not a matter of imitating the Sopranos. You had that exact same behaviour BEFORE the Sopranos ever hit the air. It is the way certain people are. If they do not hink you are the type of guy to carry a gun in NY or NJ, which is either an obvious criminal or off duty LEO, then they assume they can put the bull on you. This is especially true when they deal with people from outside the NY/NJ area.

Not all of the peope are like this but there are plenty. Sorry you had to encounter one.

There Are Plenty of Jerks...

to share both in the North and in the South...
    You did the best thing...drive away! Two weeks from now, who will remember? Go on with life, knowing that you CAN defend yourself...only if forced to do so.
    Jerks, like the one you mentioned, have their just rewards spinning around in the 'Cosmos'...just waiting to strike...you will never see it!

Take care...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Personally, I would not have exchanged words with him in the first place. He wasn't gonna give up the space , so why talk at all?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Bubba means Redneck around here.

To call a Yankee a Bubba is the ultimate insult. You did good !

+1 on that, both the meaning of "Bubba" and that you did good.

I work as a mfg rep, and talk to people from oll over the country every day. The only regularly rude, or at least very dry people I talk to are in the NYC office, and that is only a couple of them, the others are just fine and friendly.

I was talking to a lady from NYC one time, and said YES MAM out of habit, and she said,
    you people from the south are the friendliest people I talk to, It's not that far away, but like a whole other world
    She didn't have that accent or attitude, but I'm sure being in the city, encountered plenty that did.

I also are not trying to put down the whole population, of these areas, but there seems to be a much higher percentage of "Tony S." there.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Musketeer, like I said earlier, those idiots are in the minoritry. For the most part I have a ball with the NY people at the hotel and the number 1 complain with them is that they tend to get too loud and bother guests 5 rooms on both directions but nothing that a friendly word can't solve and they never take it personally.

Rocky, I already admited that calling on his "super-eyesight" was a mistake. Then again just because a person carries a gun does not mean he or she relinquishes all interaction with the rest of humanity.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Bubba is a crime when you mix it in with the words "Longbranch" Lee-Enfield" or "Jungle carbine". Bubba is a term used up here for a military surplus gun turned sport by a wannabe gunsmith.

DC Founder
    Hey, wait, my brother's (nick)name is Bubba....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    Bubba is a crime when you mix it in with the words "Longbranch" Lee-Enfield" or "Jungle carbine". Bubba is a term used up here for a military surplus gun turned sport by a wannabe gunsmith.
    Agreed.

Around here, taking a pristine war speciman and butchering it is known as 'Bubbaed Up". Like as in...that rifle has been bubbaed up...
    thereby reducing the value of it as a piece of history. I've seen bubbaed up milsurps worth many hundreds and even thousands of dollars reduced to almost nil value because some BUBBA didnt have a clue about what he had.

Also at work...some knuckle draggin yahoo takes a high dollar piece of equipment and uses an adjustable wrench or perhaps channel locks to remove bolts....marking up the bolt heads enough that the proper sized wrench will never again go on them...also known as Bubbaed up.

Now, it is entirely possible that the main player mentioned in the original post knew this, therfore showing his displeasure at the fact that someone called him "Bubba"...which in his mind showed him to be the ignorant and some socially challenged jerk that he really was.

and not to be forgotten...
    In a conversation on which one may be less than pleased with the quality of work done, such as a car mechainic that wants two hundred dollars more for his work than what he originally stated, it is not uncommon for someone to refer to his face as "some kind of Bubba" and rightly so, meaning to him that he is an uneducated hill jack from the boondocks that is coarse, illiterate and lacking in social skills and perhaps even mentally challenged to a degree.

So...depending on the person and the circumstances...some one that infers that you are a "Bubba"...could be construed as fighting words in some places....

This post in noway intends any disrespect to the many fine gentelmen actually named or nicknamed "Bubba" which in most cases are upstanding citizens that are assets to society....a name that is commonly heard here in Arkansas, and I know of one person that actually has the name "Bubba" on his drivers license.
    Last edited by HotGuns; November 22nd, 2006 at 10:34 PM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Face it, some people are just excretory orifices. I almost had to shoot one the other day. I was in a McDonalds, and at the time the only one at the counter. I ordered an ice cream cone (mainly just to buy something, I was there for the rest room). Anyway, I guess a guy came up behind me as I paid. I expected the girl just to go get my cone, but instead called the guy to the register. Now, there was plenty of room there. He decides to say "Why don't you move your fat ass? I just ignored him, and stepped to the side. He however, kept running his mouth. To one question, I said "You could have simply said Excuse me". to which he replied, "Why should I? I just answered, "Well, because it's polite?". This guy just kept running his mouth, and I ignored him. As I got my cone and started to leave, he made statements that I took as a threat. Now, to most people, getting their ass kicked isn't that big a deal. But I have severe degenerative arthritis and spinal stenosis. I risk far more permanent injury than most, along with the possibility of losing my livelihood. So with the threatening comments, I pulled the zipper down on my fanny pack, and walked to my car with my hand on my gun (gun never was visible). I told him that if he came toward me, I would consider that a sign that he planned to act on his threats, and that he would have several 45 caliber holes in him. I then moved deliberately if not rapidly to my car, and left. The guy came out very closely behind me, and went to his car. I put the Springfield XD 45 on the front seat, in case he followed me. After a short time, I figured that everything was over, and put the gun away. Why this moron decided that he wanted to try to make trouble for me I have no idea. But some people are just jerks, not happy unless they're hassling someone.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Wow. I learn something new on here every day that I log in.

I never thought "Bubba" was an insult. My daughters call their little brother "Bubba", because they were too young to pronounce their "r's" when he was born, and it was their (cute) mispronunciation of "brother".

The worst usage in which I have ever heard it refers to a badly customized military surplus firearm.

But, hey, if it ticks off a yankee boy, it's my insult of choice for those who say "Nuh Joyzee" when they mean "New Jersey".....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links