Green Technology Eating Crow...er, White-throated Needletail!

Green Technology Eating Crow...er, White-throated Needletail!

This is a discussion on Green Technology Eating Crow...er, White-throated Needletail! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Birdwatchers flock to see rare bird, then watch it killed by wind turbine | Fox News Oh, the irony! Too bad we can't get more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Green Technology Eating Crow...er, White-throated Needletail!

Cool Green Technology Eating Crow...er, White-throated Needletail!

Birdwatchers flock to see rare bird, then watch it killed by wind turbine | Fox News

Oh, the irony! Too bad we can't get more of these wind turbines on this side of the Pond to make our lives more energy efficient...at killing rare birds. Expecting a lawsuit in the near future...

Avian Darwin Award nominee...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    We have our own allowed carnage here.

AP IMPACT: Wind farms get pass on eagle deaths
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You should see the mass of windmills out in the Mohave Desert near, well, Mohave. At night the blinking red lights look like someone forgot to take down the mountain Xmas lights. And yes, birds do tend to fly into the blades, but only once.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The giant window over my family room has killed more birds than I ever have.
    atctimmy likes this.

Given the frequency that birds seem to fly into buildings/windows/etc, I wonder how many birds die flying into the side of traditional power plants?
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    Birds may die flying into traditional power plants but traditional power plants aren't trying to pretend they're "Eco Friendly".

I have nothing against windmills (wouldn't want one anywhere near me though because the constant "whoop whoop" sound they make could drive you insane after a few days) however, to say they are Eco friendly completely ignores the fact that they are killing birds at an enormous rate. So not too friendly for that section of the ecology.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I dont think that its anything a little paint in alternating colors on the blades wont fix. OR maybe the deer whistles that you put on your car on the end of the blades.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Reminds me of this story, though it's obviously more sad (in a frustrating kind of way)

Shorter-winged swallows evolve around highways
    In survey along Nebraska roads, number of birds killed by cars has plummeted over 30 years
    Over the last 30 years, the number of cliff swallows killed along roads in southwestern Nebraska has plunged, and the birds’ average wing length has shrunk,
    In the absence of roads, cliff swallows — sparrow-sized birds with orange rumps and white foreheads — tuck their nests under overhangs on cliff faces. But in the last few decades, many birds have traded ancestral homes for modern real estate — highway bridges and overpasses
    And when Charles Brown measured preserved specimens’ wing lengths, he saw that, compared with the rest of the population, swallows that died on the road had wings that were a few millimeters longer.
    He thinks the population’s shorter average wing lengths could help explain why roadkill numbers are going down.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    I guess I'm blonde because I don't get the connection between longer wing spans, bridges and road death rate for Swallows.

Seems that longer wing spans would mean less deaths because they have more flight power.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Flying into buildings kill well over 100 million birds per year, the top end could be close to 900 million. Wind turbines kill 33,000. Oil spills and power plant waste water pits kill up to 2 million birds per year. So the reality is that wind turbines are not really a very big killer.
    Darrow75 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When I lived in AK, the swallows would build nests under the front porches of base housing. You weren't allowed to knock down the nests once the eggs were laid and the birds all but ignored the homeowners going in and out. It was claimed they kept the mosquito population in check, but I never saw any indication anything kept it in check!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    The only thing birds do around my place is crap on my porch and patio.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I guess I'm blonde because I don't get the connection between longer wing spans, bridges and road death rate for Swallows.

Seems that longer wing spans would mean less deaths because they have more flight power.
    I'm guessing that shorter wing lengths would enable more maneuverability.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post

Quote Originally Posted by linked article
    A few millimeters — about the width of a Tic Tac — might seem like a small change, but for birds’ wings, “a little bit can make a big difference,” says evolutionary biologist Ronald Mumme of Allegheny College in Meadville, Pa.

Petite wings let birds take off quickly and maneuver deftly through the air. Like quail, which have short, rounded wings and can explode off the ground almost vertically, Brown says, swallows might be better served by short wings that help them whiz up and out of harm’s way.
    :) My intuition was that way too!
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links