World War Z/Amazing Human Hollywood Hearing

This is a discussion on World War Z/Amazing Human Hollywood Hearing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went to the 10:00 PM showing last night. Predictably Mrs. PEF passed so I went stag. (I unwisely consumed a large diet coke, probably 40 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: World War Z/Amazing Human Hollywood Hearing

VIP Member

Went to the 10:00 PM showing last night. Predictably Mrs. PEF passed so I went stag. (I unwisely consumed a large diet coke, probably 40 ounces or so, and I could not get to sleep until 2:00 AM or so due to the jolt...)

It was entertaining, but only "inspired" by the book. By now you've seen the previews, and all I can say if the Zombies ran and moved like they did in the moves humankind would not stand a snowball's chance. Curious as to what the alternate ending was that did not test well, and hopefully they will include the alternate in the DVD. I do not think this movie was as entertaining as the Dawn of the Dead remake, but it still served to entertain me for a couple of hours.

On an aside, did you ever notice how in the Hollywood movies nobody suffers from temporary threshold shifts or temporary deafness in the wake of weapons fire? The only time I ever saw this depicted was in The Walking Dead, where Rick shoots a zombie within the enclosed confines of a tank. But then his hearing apparently recovered quickly, as he could soon hear the radio in the tank. If there ever is a Zombie apocalypse, I am certain most of the human survivors will suffer permanent hearing loss and tinnitus.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Here is an overview of the original ending, with most of the details omitted:
    'World War Z' Ending: What It's Like To Be Cut Out Of The Brad Pitt Blockbuster
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

On an aside, did you ever notice how in the Hollywood movies nobody suffers from temporary threshold shifts or temporary deafness in the wake of weapons fire?
    My cousin works in movies and TV shows. He has been on the set of "The Unit" and other shows. He said that they purposely do not make some parts realistic because it takes away enjoyment for the average person.

Racking the slides of autos, racking shotguns all the time, they know it is wrong, they include it for the effect.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    The only time I ever saw this depicted was in The Walking Dead, where Rick shoots a zombie within the enclosed confines of a tank. But then his hearing apparently recovered quickly, as he could soon hear the radio in the tank.
    I remember liking that they included that in the scene. He did seem to recover fairly quickly, but as I recall the muzzle was pretty much right at the zombie's head, so I guess that might work as a (very wet) suppressor.

In the film "Copland," there's a gunfight scene where you pretty much just hear tinnitus. It was pretty well done, I thought.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My cousin works in movies and TV shows. He has been on the set of "The Unit" and other shows. He said that they purposely do not make some parts realistic because it takes away enjoyment for the average person.

Racking the slides of autos, racking shotguns all the time, they know it is wrong, they include it for the effect.
    Makes sense. And I really shouldn't quibble with the lack of realism in a Zombie movie.
    suntzu, atctimmy and Brad426 like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is an overview of the original ending, with most of the details omitted:
    'World War Z' Ending: What It's Like To Be Cut Out Of The Brad Pitt Blockbuster
    Interesting. More than just a nuanced change, that's for sure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw it opening night. It was ok but I expected more. I like the drama of interpersonal relationships and moral delimas presented in the walking dead series. One scene I did like was the looting in the grocery store were Brad Pit returns gunfire while protecting his wife from two would be rapeists. After he puts the bad guys down a cop enters the scene, Pitt raises his rifle thinking the cop is there for him but the cop dosent even give a look as he heads straight to the baby food to loot.

I also liked the Israelie council of 10. Its human nature to think the unimaginable will not happen and how historically Isreal watched as many of there people were slaughtered as they were unprepared for evil. In there council if 9 people agree a situation is unlikely the 10th must take the position of likely probability and investigate the situation and how to best prepare for it.

Too often I read posts here with people thinking our right of the 2A is untouchable and "they" will never come for our guns. That is a dangerous attitude. Personally I've taken steps and made the assumption that I'm an outlaw and the 2A dosent exist because someday that may well be the situation. The difference between preparedness and paranoia is a single event that will come unexpectedly and take most by surprise.

We need more people to take the position of the 10th man if the freedoms of our founding are to remain for our grandchildren. We walk among Zombies now they are just placated by EBT, SNAP, and freebie phones. Once those are gone watch out as the bitters will be loose and those charged to "serve and protect" will watch out for thier own.
    StormRhydr and Jaeger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Makes sense. And I really shouldn't quibble with the lack of realism in a Zombie movie.
    I wasn't going to mention the irony LOL!
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Too much special effects overload for me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I saw WWZ last weekend, and thought it was probably the worst zombie flick I have ever seen. And I've seen most all of them. The book was an excellent read IMO, but the movie did not even resemble the book. As I was walking out of the theater, I wondered why Brad Pitt had even bothered to bid for the book rights. He could have saved a bunch of money and just given the movie a different title.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Sorry, maybe when I was a kid, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy these fantasy movies. How is it possible that a dead (zombie) person is up and walking around ?
    And as another poster said, the special effects are a bit much. My girlfriend get annoyed at me when I point out unrealistic things, so we generally don't see these kinds of movies together.
    I didn't mean to put a damper on people's likes, just expressing my opinion. I at least prefaced it with "sorry."
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

I did enjoy the movie, but, as has been mentioned it did not even resemble the book except in the broadest concept. I think the idea of the disease is generally to resemble a human variant of rabies, where biting spreads the disease. The British films "28 days later" , and "28 weeks later" had fast zombies, although they weren't true zombies, but severely infected people. On another note, here are a few zompoc weapon suggestions for those of you who might be in the market for such: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVcqssHAeME

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Sorry, maybe when I was a kid, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy these fantasy movies. How is it possible that a dead (zombie) person is up and walking around ?
    And as another poster said, the special effects are a bit much. My girlfriend get annoyed at me when I point out unrealistic things, so we generally don't see these kinds of movies together.
    I didn't mean to put a damper on people's likes, just expressing my opinion. I at least prefaced it with "sorry."
    My friend, it's very possible. It's a well known fact that "when there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth."
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I reckon I can unpack my bags then.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I'm waiting for Pacific Rim. I know it will probably stink but I'm going to see it anyhow.
    Betty likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links