Anyone ever have a window randomly shatter?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever have a window randomly shatter? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sitting here with a cup of tea watching the news and I hear a loud bang from the kitchen. I go to investigate (hand on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone ever have a window randomly shatter?

Sitting here with a cup of tea watching the news and I hear a loud bang from the kitchen. I go to investigate (hand on my Shield of course!) and the sliding patio door window is completely fractured. Nobody around, wasn't an impact as it was the outer pane of the sliding door and was open therefore sandwiched between the inner pane and the panes on the stationary part. Weird!

Anyone ever have something similar happen? Any idea what might have caused it?
    British by birth. American by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Sitting here with a cup of tea watching the news and I hear a loud bang from the kitchen. I go to investigate (hand on my Shield of course!) and the sliding patio door window is completely fractured. Nobody around, wasn't an impact as it was the outer pane of the sliding door and was open therefore sandwiched between the inner pane and the panes on the stationary part. Weird!

Anyone ever have something similar happen? Any idea what might have caused it?
    Guess I am used to strange noises LOL....would ratch up the SA but doubt I would have my hand on my SIG.

Anyway, is it possible a bird flew into it? I have birds flying into my windows all the time.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Time to call in a paranormal investigator.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Guess I am used to strange noises LOL....would ratch up the SA but doubt I would have my hand on my SIG.

Anyway, is it possible a bird flew into it? I have birds flying into my windows all the time.
    The pane that broke was between other panes at the time as the door was open. No possibility of any kind of impact.

My first guess would be thermal. Any reason one side of the pane would be much hotter or colder than the other? This can cause glass to expand differently in different parts of the pane, causing stress. This is why light bulbs can shatter if they suddenly get wet.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

My thought was thermal, but the outside temperature was low 80's and inside is high 70's, nothing major and no sudden change either.

I think Blitzburgh is onto something. Must have been an evil spirit...

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Earthquake?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

Hmph... The gal in NJ that got kicked around and dropped down the stairs probably wouldn't have had her hand on a Sig either (' course, she didn't have one, anyway) for a crashing sound in the kitchen.....

Just sayin'...

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    pittypat21 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Hmph... The gal in NJ that got kicked around and dropped down the stairs probably wouldn't have had her hand on a Sig either (' course, she didn't have one, anyway) for a crashing sound in the kitchen.....

Just sayin'...

If I felt I needed to touch my gun for every sudden noise I would end up being a jumpy person..that is all. Wasn't a criticism. Funny thing is a few minutes ago a bird dive bombe a window again. I have tree limbs that fall, in the winter huge chunks of snow falling off the roof.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Yeah, I had a cardinal that used to fly into the same window repeatedly... He came back the next year, too... And, I live out in the sticks. Get plenty of noises, I KNOW to ignore....

Glass breaking in the other room, where there's a patio door? Not gonna ignore that.

Don't forget Custis did his home invasion at 10:30 a.m.... Code white... (and, I hate the color code system).

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I am going with thermal stress. Not necessarily on the glass itself but on the frame. Tempered glass is stressed as it is. If there is uneven heating of the frame holding it you can get more stress when one part of the frame expands more than another part.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

There's all kinds of information on "spontaneous breakage" out there. Could be any number of reasons. Apparently a lot of doors are accidentally installed inside out too, and that is often why it happens

Administrator
    I had a huge hippopotamus tooth/tusk spontaneously explode in the middle of the night. I am certain that as it dried out so much stress had built up internally that it just violently shattered.

Hippo teeth have such hard thick and tough enamel that when they stress crack they really sound off.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well not randomly, but the little pins that hold the window inside it's rails broke while closing a window, and the window fell in and shattered.

That's not at all any kind of help to your situation, just wanted figured I'd tell you that my window broke once.

It was a PITA, though.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    I had it happen with a full view storm door when we lived in Texas years ago. It also happened to a back window in a car in VA. it had snowed and was very cold.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links