Police Officer gives pistol to stranger because he couldn't shoot injured deer!

This is a discussion on Police Officer gives pistol to stranger because he couldn't shoot injured deer! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow! I would never hand my pistol over to a stranger under any circumstances. I can understand maybe not being able to shoot the deer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Police Officer gives pistol to stranger because he couldn't shoot injured deer!

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar

Police Officer gives pistol to stranger because he couldn't shoot injured deer!

Wow! I would never hand my pistol over to a stranger under any circumstances. I can understand maybe not being able to shoot the deer to put it out of its misery, but going to the extent of handing over your weapon to someone you don't know is incredibly stupid for anyone, let alone a cop. If you can't bring yourself to shoot the deer, then wait for a fellow officer to show up.

Oh, deer: Did Indiana cop give gun to stranger to put injured animal out of misery? | Fox News

2. Remove Ads

If he struggles with putting a deer "out of it's misery" - I wouldn't want to be his partner.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    If true, the officer should consider a different line of work.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. If he can't bring himself to shoot a deer, how is he going to feel if it comes to shooting one of his own kind???

Some people have never been exposed to the "circle of life" and have no idea how to handle it.
    DontTreadOnI and blitzburgh like this.

VIP Member
    Thank you Mr. Disney for introducing Bambi and all those other "human" animals to the world. They walk, they talk, they fall in love and mate for life and look after their young for life.

Then look at the people who hunt them. Big burly rednecks, who indiscriminately shoot, wound and kill them, strictly for sport. They shoot any animal in sight and have no compassion for them.

Yep Walt. You did a great service to this country and animals!

As to the officer in question. If it turns out to be the truth, he should be stripped of his LE credentials. He has no business carrying a gun. If he can't put down a suffering animal, what is he going to do in a life and death situation with a BG.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Not a good career move.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Barney Fife.........?

This made me wonder. If I hit a deer with my car, or just come across one, and it is badly injured can I shoot it to put it out of it's misery? I think I probably couldn't legally and would be in trouble for discharging my firearm. I live in an urban area but we still have deer.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Did the national unemployment numbers just tick up by one?
    blitzburgh and Jeanlouise like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathys View Post
    This made me wonder. If I hit a deer with my car, or just come across one, and it is badly injured can I shoot it to put it out of it's misery? I think I probably couldn't legally and would be in trouble for discharging my firearm. I live in an urban area but we still have deer.
    Would depend on state law and of course area it happens in. Personally I'd call police and let them or Dept. of Fish and Game handle it. While I hate to see an animal suffer, better that than providing the state with my time and money for legal proceedings.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I can certainly understand feeling bad about having to do it, but seriously, man up.

My sister-in-law once shot a deer that got up when she was about to bleed it. She (i'm gonna guess 120 pounds at the high end) grabbed the antlers and wrestled it to the ground, and since she couldn't reach her knife, had to hold it until her hunting buddy got there and helped finish the job. Maybe not the wisest course of action, but I'd trust her in a bad situation over this guy.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    I live in a rural area and one morning saw a deer flailing around in the ditch obviously having been hit. I called the SO and the dispatcher informed me it would be acceptable to go ahead and put it down. She did dispatch a Deputy just to take a report in case someone called in about someone shooting by the road.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Tears...?!? Gave his duty sidearm to a stranger in the crowd...?!?

*hijack* While working as base security I rolled up on an accident (deer strike) just after it occurred. That deer destroyed the Cooper Mini that hit it too.... driver was OK though. The deer was still alive but suffering. The base game warden was called to dispatch the animal, but while waiting another officer arrived.... a young lady, five foot-nothing and maybe 100 pounds WITH her vest and gear on. Talk about alligator tears from her...... *end hijack * ... but even she didn't consider giving her sidearm up to have someone else dispatch that deer. No of us did. I wanted to do it myself just to hurry up the reopening of the road but the base Game Warden could do it with a LOT less paperwork involved.

That Ohio officer may have a soft place in his heart for animals, but he also has a soft brain that he didn't use very well.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Some people have never been exposed to the "circle of life" and have no idea how to handle it.
    Had that conversation just this morning with a girl at work that disagreed with people having the option to hunt deer.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links